• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Guptill should be considered if his form changes
In what form of cricket? Auckland have two Ford Trophy games to go, next week's a fair chance to be washed out, and they're last on the table so unlikely to make the semis. Then it's Plunket Shield, and I presume he's getting a T20 franchise gig somewhere like the Caribbean or elsewhere.

The Guptill days are over, and he played a part in ensuring that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
In what form of cricket? Auckland have two Ford Trophy games to go, next week's a fair chance to be washed out, and they're last on the table so unlikely to make the semis. Then it's Plunket Shield, and I presume he's getting a T20 franchise gig somewhere like the Caribbean or elsewhere.

The Guptill days are over, and he played a part in ensuring that.
Yeah probably

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Noticed that M Bracewell has already taken 48 international wickets for NZ, across all 3 formats, since he debuted less than a year ago (in 10 months). He had only taken 69 wickets in his entire career before then.

Also, he has played 38 matches. Like, when the hell did that happen?

Edit. Also ... He is now (pretty much) the same age as his uncle John Bracewell when he retired.

Last edited:

ashley bach

International Captain
And even more so regarding Michael Bracewell, who here would have thought a year ago, or even 6 months ago for that matter that he would be just about the first player to be pencilled on the team list in white ball cricket?
The jokes that went around here have more than flown out the window, and for very good reason.
His economy rate in 20/20 of 5.29 and his 20 wickets @10.6 are simply off the charts.
He'd easily make the team just for his bowling, his batting is just a huge bonus.
Have The Blackcaps ever lost to Ireland in cricket?
Well they would have if Bracewell hadn't of scored an amazing century including smashing 24 off the last over to save our arse.
That 140 he scored against India is the best ODI ton by a kiwi I can recall since....well, just about forever.
Without him, we'd have sweet **** all chance to win the cup later this year.
Go the MACEBALL!!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No doubt it's very handy to have a guy like Bracewell in our ODI/T20 team, especially with an Indian 50-over World Cup coming up.

I think the biggest question is around his Test spot. If we pick him for the England series (seems a formality) how does that look? He's not a containing bowler. Is he a wicket taker in our conditions? I doubt it. Does that squeeze Sodhi out, or a seamer? Is he going to score runs?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh. de Grandhomme and Mitchell have signed for Lancashire for the upcoming County season - Mitchell presumably as an overseas player.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The issue with that is the lack of a work horse/tight RPO option like CdG/Wagner were.

What would be your XI?
I might play Macewell right now as an all-rounder and to throw down a few tight overs, but I'm the crazy bastard that still would play Santa.

We win home matches with Southee Boult/Henry and Jamieson.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Other than mildly spiteful County Cricket posts, I feel that SteveNZ is always one step ahead of me with the cricket-related posts I intend to make. Once again, SteveNZ has already articulated (nearly word-for-word) what I was thinking RE: Bracewell.