• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I might play Macewell right now as an all-rounder and to throw down a few tight overs, but I'm the crazy bastard that still would play Santa.

We win home matches with Southee Boult/Henry and Jamieson.
You are a crazy bastard, and the world needs them.

Boult might've played his last home Test, given IPL/Dubai/BBL are going to line up over the next couple of years.

I think we're all pretty prepared for Macewell to play at the Mount in a couple of weeks' time.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm keen to play Sodhi tbh. He seems to be on a run, and I think we should nuture it.

The biggest issue with our spin development is we parachute up to 3 of them in ice cold to a tour where we need them to be big dogs.

Honestly, with how we've used Ajaz, Somerville and Sodhi we have no right to have experienced the success they've brought to most tests they have played. Overseas series against Pakistan (twice), SL, India and even that pantsing of the English scum with our second eleven would have gone differently if the spinners hadn't pulled good showings out of their arses after no tests for 6 months at a time or longer.

Then as soon as they have a bad game we dump them as though it's their fault they bowl like rookies after years of being treated as rookies to hide. Imagine if we'd given Ajaz or Somerville a bit of faith after their good performances? Maybe we'd have a regular test spinner.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Lads, Sodhi kicking ass on a day 4 and 5 pitch in Pakistan is completely different to what grounds we will serve up in NZ. There's a reason why teams bat first 95% of the time everywhere in the world except for NZ where it is 50%.

It's going to be awful for spinners. It always is.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bring Back Mark Craig.

Didn't mind being parachuted onto any wicket - did about the same everywhere (and won us some matches)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Spin might be a good option for the Chch test vs SL. Long hot summer in the SI (opposite of the NI) and Todd Astle always did pretty well at Hagley.

Btw, Maharaj has done ridiculously well in NZ:
4 tests, 19 wickets @ 22, e/r 2.6

5/94
2/47
6/40
2/118 off 50 overs
1/46
3/75

Athlai

Not Terrible
Spin might be a good option for the Chch test vs SL. Long hot summer in the SI (opposite of the NI) and Todd Astle always did pretty well at Hagley.

Btw, Maharaj has done ridiculously well in NZ:
4 tests, 19 wickets @ 22, e/r 2.6

5/94
2/47
6/40
2/118 off 50 overs
1/46
3/75
I'd pick Maharaj if I could

ataraxia

International Coach
Nah that Hagley test is reserved for SL failing against seam, Dickwella twin 50s, a Latham 230, and Nicholls getting dropped 7 times before skewing a ball too close to cut through cover-point for 3 to bring up a fighting comeback hundred.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Todd Astle's 3/39 in the 3rd innings of the Auckland day/night test shoudn't be undervalued imho. He and Wagner finished the game off when it seemed like England might pull off another jammy draw.

I am basing this entirely on the fact it was a day night test and so is The Mount test, therefore the same conditions :ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Todd Astle's 3/39 in the 3rd innings of the Auckland day/night test shoudn't be undervalued imho. He and Wagner finished the game off when it seemed like England might pull off another jammy draw.

I am basing this entirely on the fact it was a day night test and so is The Mount test, therefore the same conditions :ph34r:
And Macewell will also be gun despite all logic just like Tastle that one time

Athlai

Not Terrible
God I love home summer when spin isn't real and I get to genuinely call for some norounder to be in the side for balance.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
God I love home summer when spin isn't real and I get to genuinely call for some norounder to be in the side for balance.
If no spinner just play 6 batters, Blundell at 7, and 4 seamers.

If Ravindra and Foxcroft were in the top 6 that might be an adequate spin attack anyway.

I remember when we had so many batters who bowled decent mediums (Astle, McMillan, Styris etc.) but now we've got Mitchell and heaps of decent part-time spinners.

Last edited: