• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Me too. And then I remember him dropping a catch quite early on in his time keeping and I wanted him gone. He shut me up pretty soon after that.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Knock on wood, we won't have any retirees by then (Watling and Taylor the only possibilities).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, provided Watling can stay relatively injury free he should be there. Taylor - who knows. A final test season featuring England, Australia and India is a hell of a carrot to stick around, but he'll be pushing 36 at that point, and well aware that he only has 1 or 2 years left to make some T20 $.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'll go against the grain and say that I'm not all that keen on NZ touring Australia for Boxing Day and New Year tests. Like the SACB, I quite like NZC hosting teams at that time. Whether it is tests in Christchurch, or the Basin, or even a limited overs carnival taking in places like the Mount. The Christmas New Year time has become of late a tradition of NZ bashing WI, SL, Pak, Bang, and now there's opportunities of AFG and Ireland to smash too, and make money for itself and supply local fans - local games, before our premier tour by England (after they tour Aus), Australia, South Africa (after their home summers for Christmas) and maybe again India in tests (2014 since last here already) which competes with the Rugby and Rugby League seasons.

It was quite nice to flick off watching Australia win at home, and watch NZC win at home over the Christmas period. What was wrong with a Nov tour of Aus - and Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar at home? Its not like Sky broadcasts our BKSS version of BBL.

The NZ summer will be shorter, and its not like Eng is taking more NZ tours - they'd rather give Pak 6 tests since our last 2 there. 4 home tests only any none away in 18+ months and then David White gives up on Christmas for the Black Caps at home? I'd sack him without a better explanation. Literally. NZC is top 4 in all formats right now - and the best that he can do is sell us in our home season peak to tour away? Only India beats our top in all 4 formats. Only India!

Here's a reminder, as if many NZC fans need reminding, of 8 balls ago between NZ and Aus at the MCG with Australia 9 down in the fourth.

I get NZC is small potatoes worldwide. But at least sell our chips when they're hot before we go post Hadlee or this time KW, Taylor, Wagner and Boult, soggy again.

Does he really think CA, which sold out years of work by channels 9 and 10 promoting cricket to Fox and 7, and refused to play NZC last century until the 1970's since Bradman was playing, will return NZC favours against their commercial interests? Seems like there was a smart commercial shark in the meeting room - and I'm not betting on David White having a dorsel fin.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It's been mentioned previously that it might just be a one-off test ... so it wouldn't take a huge chunk out of our summer.

But personally I'd much rather watch us play the Boxing Day test, like it or not one of the pinnacles in the sport, than an endless run of odi wins against mediocre opposition ... at grounds often in the middle of nowhere because they wouldn't be able to fill up any of the main centres.

Actually a few mates have already suggested a trip to Melbourne for it, so I'm extra keen!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's been mentioned previously that it might just be a one-off test ... so it wouldn't take a huge chunk out of our summer.
I'd be a bit surprised if it was. The rules for the new test championship are supposed to require a minimum of 2-test series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd be a bit surprised if it was. The rules for the new test championship are supposed to require a minimum of 2-test series.
That Test might not be one of the series these two countries are required to play though. The first championship just stipulates six opponents -- three at home and three away -- over a two year cycle. Playing extra Tests or entire series that don't count towards it isn't forbidden.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I use googled it and the article that said it might be one-off was from January, so anything could have happened since then. Maybe it will be five! haha

Wonder what the Basin announcement will be. As much as that stand was my go to viewing spot as a kid and I’d miss it, I hope they replace it with a modern higher capacity stand.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The idea that Australia would actually go to NZ for boxing day is utterly absurd, will never happen and rightly so. If they want to play Australia then, it's the MCG or nothing

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Anyone started speculating what our 15 man squad for CWC 19 is gonna look like?

I'd say the givens are:

Guptill
Williamson (c)
Taylor
Boult
Southee
Santner

Then the other 9 i assume it's going to be something like:

Munro
Latham (wk)
CdG
Sodhi