• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain

Bit of a dissent about Conway given a residency.

There's bound to be some noises but I don't quite understand why. One of the best qualified to live in our country. It's a no brainer really. Fair enough there are other opinions but doesn't stand good ground to be honest.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Bit of a dissent about Conway given a residency.

There's bound to be some noises but I don't quite understand why. One of the best qualified to live in our country. It's a no brainer really. Fair enough there are other opinions but doesn't stand good ground to be honest.
i'm sorry but this is one of the most disgusting positions I can think of.

Ordinary people in front of him in the queue who just want to join their families but oh no a game of cricket is more important.

Absolute disgrace.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Why does being good at sports mean your partner gets to be fast tracked? Especially when he himself was fast-tracked less than a week ago.
This whole thing makes me want to never watch cricket or frankly any professional sport again, at least if NZ national teams are involved.

We've really shown our true colours, haven't we. pathetic.

Flem274*

123/5
i'm sorry but this is one of the most disgusting positions I can think of.
i remember a poster scorning covid mercy flights then doing a 180 when he got a girlfriend who is/was in a different country. is nzfans position better or worse than that heel turn?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
i remember a poster scorning covid mercy flights then doing a 180 when he got a girlfriend who is/was in a different country. is nzfans position better or worse than that heel turn?
Huh? Are you saying I'm inconsistent on this issue?
Maybe think again, buddy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
im saying your opinions tend to follow what currently suits you
Nope, you're not having this one mate.

I have always, always called out labour for their backwards immigration policies. I've always been a labour voter and yet I have had years of experience with both this and the previous government's shambles of an immigration department. I've been saying this for years and years. I criticised the previous national government for it, I criticised Labour-NZF for it, and I've criticised the current government for it. You can go back and look through the NZ politics thread if you want.

BTW I was with my GF through well before COVID so nah you're not having that either. I said these things before I was with her and after I was with her.

And no, I don't agree with the so called COVID mercy flights paying for people who were on holiday to come back before lockdown. I didn't then and I don't now see why they couldn't have waited a few weeks to come into the country after lockdown, and I don't see why the taxpayer had to pay for it in most cases. I don't at all see how that is inconsistent with actual immigration cases that I've shared on the NZ politics page.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
BTW I believe this is the quote that you're referring to, and I 100% stand by this.

If you think this is inconsistent I don't know what to say to you, Flem.

I don't really understand this?
like, you're in Delhi. You want the government to arrange a flight to bring you home. But you're not sick. India has a low rate of infection.

But aside from this, I can't imagine being in India with that many people so much worse off then you around and wanting to have a plane fly you out of there? Like, you made the trip to go visit that place. Not saying you have to stay there forever or whatever, but it just seems so blatantly first-world-problems to want to be uplifted straight up out of there.

I mean they talk about going down with the ship and everything but what about the rest of the people on the ship in India?

Some of these repatriation things are really weird.

If you're overseas, you're overseas. I don't think you should be making scrambling attempts to get back here.

Flem274*

123/5
immigration requirements to move here are ridiculous. i don't agree with conways missus getting fast tracked either, but it was always going to happen. if you're valued by society or connected well then you get preference. sport is a religion in nz, probably a better national religion on the whole than the bible bashing and gun toting the americans do.

dude those people stuck on the other side of the world for whatever reason were nz citizens and permanent residents, they have every right to enter their country as long as they isolate like the rest of us. to deny them in the scornful tone i remember but moan your gf couldn't come back is so self centered.

Flem274*

123/5
BTW I believe this is the quote that you're referring to, and I 100% stand by this.

If you think this is inconsistent I don't know what to say to you, Flem.
the post you quote and the post you make quoting it are both terrible, just like your moral grandstanding at nzfan like he's just come out as alt right or judith collins

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
immigration requirements to move here are ridiculous. i don't agree with conways missus getting fast tracked either, but it was always going to happen. if you're valued by society or connected well then you get preference. sport is a religion in nz, probably a better national religion on the whole than the bible bashing and gun toting the americans do.

dude those people stuck on the other side of the world for whatever reason were nz citizens and permanent residents, they have every right to enter their country as long as they isolate like the rest of us. to deny them in the scornful tone i remember but moan your gf couldn't come back is so self centered.
Where and when did I ever deny anyone entry???? You're just making **** up now.

I never denied anyone entry. I said they were better off waiting in an indian hotel for a few weeks then having a charter flight organised.

I stand by that.

If you think that's hypocritical I don't know what to say to you.

BTW, I was with my gf at that time as well. Not that that has ****ing anything to do with **** and I think you're making total low blows, btw.

Flem274*

123/5
Where and when did I ever deny anyone entry???? You're just making **** up now.

I never denied anyone entry. I said they were better off waiting in an indian hotel for a few weeks then having a charter flight organised.

I stand by that.

If you think that's hypocritical I don't know what to say to you.
in their position i would want to come home immediately. i trust the nz government and their process far more than the indian one (or any foreign one for that matter), i would want to be with my family and i would want solid advantages like knowing my home turf during a global pandemic that could go on for months to years for all we knew at the time. in a global emergency you want to be in your home nation. this is really obvious stuff.

one of the only legitimacies a government has is it protects its people. if you're too much of a tight **** to even spend chump change (in state terms) flying your citizens home during the new plague then you may as well pack up and let someone else have a go tbh.

i was overseas during christchurch ***** rampage and was immediately homesick. i spent the next few days talking with friends/family back in nz more than doing what i was there to do. covid was next level and i completely understand people wanting to return to nz.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, how totally self centered it is to moan about being separated from your partner. Really, how dare I complain about that.

**** you.
good snip there. of course it sucks to be in your position, i just find it interesting your empathy for that position doesn't extend beyond yourself.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In both those cases NZ citizens and residents have a fundamental right to come home during a pandemic and the duty of the government is to support that as much as possible. Telling them to just wait it out in India and calling it first-world problems is pretty callous.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In both those cases NZ citizens and residents have a fundamental right to come home during a pandemic and the duty of the government is to support that as much as possible. Telling them to just wait it out in India and calling it first-world problems is pretty callous.
I wasn't talking directly to them - obviously I wouldn't say something like that directly to a person. Flem on the other had was talking directly to me.

Chartering a flight back at that time vs waiting a few weeks? I would take the waiting a few weeks. I think that would be the better policy both for them and for the NZ government.

If, for example, they were sick, or had a relative back home who was dying? Then yes, obviously important to get them home ASAP.

Really the post was addressing what was the best thing to do in that situation. I was not dismissing their feelings, because again I wasn't talking directly to them, was I?

And also, there's a difference between waiting a few weeks to get into the country vs literally not even being allowed to apply for permission to enter, and then having no timeframe after more than a year until you can even apply to enter.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
in their position i would want to come home immediately. i trust the nz government and their process far more than the indian one (or any foreign one for that matter), i would want to be with my family and i would want solid advantages like knowing my home turf during a global pandemic that could go on for months to years for all we knew at the time.

one of the only legitimacies a government has is it protects its people. if you're too much of a tight **** to even spend chump change (in state terms) flying your citizens home during the new plague then you may as well pack up and let someone else have a go tbh.

i was overseas during christchurch ***** rampage and was immediately homesick. i spent the next few days talking with friends/family back in nz more than doing what i was there to do. covid was next level and i completely understand people wanting to return to nz.
My post simply had to do with what was the best thing to do in that situation.

They were safe. They were not unwell. Waiting it out in a hotel for a few weeks in what was at the time a very safe country was an acceptable thing o do. I never suggested that they should be refused entry into the country, and I resent you implying that. My post also had nothing to do with dismissing their feelings it simply addressed what I thought was the best thing to do in that situation.

BTW, waiting a few weeks vs literally more than a year and still not being able to even apply for entry or have any idea of time frame is not even close to being the same thing. Having multiple flat out rejections, and having paid thousands of dollars over the course of a few years of attempting to process immigration papers and then coming across a situation like this...that is not hypocritical.