• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Under19s since 2006.jpg

Here you go the lads that have gone on to play professional cricket from the 19s group. Obviously the number of internationals will grow with time in the past two or three world cup squads as some are still young. I think there has been consistent contributions from the 19s to NZ Cricket over the years. No wonder there is a lot of pressure on young lads to make the cut.

I have ignored some players that played courtesy games here and there for their respective domestic sides.

nzfan

2012 and 2014 bunch have contributed probably less number of internationals than they should have. There is still chance for few players to make the NZ team in future though.

Harry Boam from 2008-2010 had potential to play for NZ but he had enough of cricket and gave up few years ago. Raki Weerasundara should have made the firebirds team and settle down by now but hasn't gone his way. Henry Walsh is another one from Wellington that didn't get anywhere in Wellington. From 2006 to 2014 Wellington's contribution was 6 players to U19s. Last two edition we have contributed 6 of them. Current year, we are now back to 1 again.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
With a not very promising looking U19s team about to play the U19 world cup.

To attempt to cheer us up, I made this graphic of 'reasonably significant domestically or internationally' players active on the NZ circuit who DID NOT make the NZ U19s squads in their years. Those who have gone on to international level (in one format or another) in bold.

View attachment 25040

Note: Omitted Southern Africans and Blair Tickner etc who didn't play youth cricket in NZ.
Nice. I'm pretty sure Rutherford made the 2008 WC squad, but wasn't in the starting line up.

Looking at that other list, de Boorder and Greg Morgan were a couple of other promising players who didn't stay in the game.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Posted that a few days ago. Stopped clock etc. Still amusing that he'll take any opportunity he can to **** on McCullum.
Yeah I remember you posting it, don’t want to click it, but admit I’ve been intrigued as to how he managed to blame McCullum for it. :laugh:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah I remember you posting it, don’t want to click it, but admit I’ve been intrigued as to how he managed to blame McCullum for it. :laugh:
He mentions McCullum and Vaughan being staggered at the omission of Southee (McCullum even saying he should have played ahead of de Grandhomme) then points out that Southee's wickets largely came once Australia had over 200 on the board and he didn't take any top 4 wickets in the first innings.

Flem274*

123/5
i think reason is trash for his snipes at baz over the years but baz has become warne 2 as a pundit. southee or tastle at 7 jfc

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Man Boam was gun. :(
He works at my office now. At his job interview, when asked the standard “Name a time when you had to work with a difficult colleague and how you dealt with it” question he actually talked about a certain former firebird who used to drink too much and behave unprofessional. I wonder who he was talking about...

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if he was honest about how he dealt with that (snide baiting remarks and waiting for a brain explosion).

Chewie

https://www.nzc.nz/news-items/mitchell-to-captain-nz-xi-against-formidable-india-a

Nz XI for one day games v India a:

Daryl Mitchell (Northern Districts) (c)
Finn Allen (Auckland Aces)
Jakob Bhula (Wellington Firebirds)
Jack Boyle (Canterbury)
Katene Clarke (Northern Districts)
Josh Clarkson (Central Stags)
Dane Cleaver (Central Stags) (wk)
Zak Gibson (Northern Districts)
Andrew Hazeldine (Canterbury)
Henry Shipley (Canterbury)
Sean Solia (Auckland Aces)
Theo van Woerkom (Canterbury)

nzfan

https://www.nzc.nz/news-items/mitchell-to-captain-nz-xi-against-formidable-india-a

Nz XI for one day games v India a:

Daryl Mitchell (Northern Districts) (c)
Finn Allen (Auckland Aces)
Jakob Bhula (Wellington Firebirds)
Jack Boyle (Canterbury)
Katene Clarke (Northern Districts)
Josh Clarkson (Central Stags)
Dane Cleaver (Central Stags) (wk)
Zak Gibson (Northern Districts)
Andrew Hazeldine (Canterbury)
Henry Shipley (Canterbury)
Sean Solia (Auckland Aces)
Theo van Woerkom (Canterbury)
That's some serious squad for a warm up game. Does that mean none of these guys will be picked for NZ A?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a nasty (but somewhat deserved) fall down the NZC rankings for Ed Nuttall. It's come to wanting to fly someone as ordinary as Zak Gibson down, rather than have Nuttall play a couple of home games.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last season's 92 against Bangladesh by Andrew Fletcher has been scoffed at as just a low ceiling man in the midst of a very hot run of form. There were absolutely no remnants of his magical run of form when he was opening against Ferguson earlier this season, I'd have to admit to that.

thierry henry

International Coach
Crazy to me we had 3x 150kph bowlers in the same under-19s class in 2009/10, were hosting the tournament, but weren't interested.

In particular Milne, missed selection for the 19s yet debuted for the Black Caps (and clocked 150+) in the same calendar year!

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Milne and Ferguson would have made an incredible attack, on part of not faster than Mavi/Nagarkoti from last time.

Richardson/Thornton would have been up there if Australia didn't bail on 2016

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well we know from his early Cricket Show appearances (sort of 'Fast Bowler Idol' segment they did) that 145 was a bit of an aspiration for Ferguson. Probably good for 135 in 2009/10.

Milne would've been a typically limelight averse Palmerston Norther who wasn't hitting too many schoolboys with rockets and making a big spectacle of himself. He was just keeping it up his sleeve, for those he knew could handle it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha Bracewell. I would've thought he was more likely to keep wicket in Under 19 cricket than be third leading wicket taking in the national championship tbh.