• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unheralded Part of The Game: Fielding

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I was wondering what your rankings our for fielding between the top teams.

For me:

1)Aussies
2)SouthAfrica
3)India
4)NewZealand
5)England
6)Srilanka
7)WestIndies
8)Pakistan

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Turbinator said:
I was wondering what your rankings our for fielding between the top teams.

For me:

1)Aussies
2)SouthAfrica
3)India
4)NewZealand
5)England
6)Srilanka
7)WestIndies
8)Pakistan
I could live with that list, but the Aussies suffer a little in Test cricket when they do not have Symonds. Also a lot of the Aussie state teams have a much higher fielding ranking then the national sides, because of the youth factor.

The WI side circa 1984 now there was a fielding side led by Mr Harper :cool:

It was widely believed at the time that this side would save a min. of 30 runs in the field every ODI match, plus with Lloyd in the slips and Garner in the Gully not much was missed off some great fast bowlers.

James

Cricket Web Owner
India a better fielding side than New Zealand. You are joking right? :wacko:

The last time I saw India play was in the Videocon Tri-Series in Zimbabwe. They weren't too good at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
James said:

The last time I saw India play was in the Videocon Tri-Series in Zimbabwe. They weren't too good at all.
It's improved considerably. Though I don't know about below NZ.

adharcric

International Coach
India has the top-class individual fielders in place like Yuvraj, Raina, Kaif and even Dravid and Tendulkar, but as a unit I'd rate the Kiwis ahead of them right now. With Zaheer, Ganguly and Nehra out of the side, there isn't really a weak link besides Munaf perhaps. Pretty close.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:

Well yea as SS said they have improved alot! TBH I haven't seen much of NewZealand, however with the lack of cricket they are playing I doubt they are a better fielding side than India. But then again its how you look at it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India probably have some better individual fielders but as a unit it would be New Zealand. Fleming and Astle are pretty sound in the slips and through the covers and point we have guys like Jacob Oram, Lou Vincent and Hamish Marshall. Plus Jamie How in the gully and Styris around 3rd slip, pretty handy fielding side.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
India isn't a better fielding side than NZ. We have people like Munaf, Sehwag who are pretty bad and Dravid who isn't that great in the field though he is usually a terrific slip fielder. We cannot yet be better than NZ.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Black Caps got that Yank in for fielding coaching last summer, he had a massive effect. I remeber all the flat return throws from the outfield and underarm flicks in close that were consistantly used in that West Indies ODI series. In particurlar the match where we restricted WI to 10 runs off the first 10 overs comes to mind...we still managed to lose the one mind you.

Perm

Good point darkmullet, I forgot that we hired the American guy to help us with our fielding. He was the same guy that worked with the Australian side a little while ago.

shankar

International Debutant
While India's fielding has improved a lot in the inner circle, our throws from the outfield are still pathetic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
viktor said:
India isn't a better fielding side than NZ. We have people like Munaf, Sehwag who are pretty bad and Dravid who isn't that great in the field though he is usually a terrific slip fielder. We cannot yet be better than NZ.
Don't see Sehwag drop too many in the slips though right?

Weak links in the field atm is only really Munaf. Not sure about RP Singh.

Yuvraj, Kaif, Raina and Sachin are awesome, Dravid is a top slips fielder and Ajit and Pathan are very very good in the outfield, particularly Pathan who is awesome.

NZ is probably better, but I've never seen India have a better fielding team than at the moment.

adharcric

International Coach
RP Singh is quite a good fielder himself. Munaf has a poor reputation and does mess up once in a while, but he has pulled off some blinders lately.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Hmm, I think I can say this without too much bias: NZ's catchers are the best in the world. Australia have been spilling far more than they used to, South Africa were diabolical when we were over there a few months ago, Pakistan aren't too flash from what I saw on their recent England tour, England have been pretty woeful recently, WI, SL and India I haven't seen that much of recently but they're usually a bit shaky.

Our test catching lineup would go: Fleming at 1st slip, Styris at 2nd, Astle at 3rd, and How and Oram in the gully.

Fleming's been one of the best slippers for years, Styris is massively underrated as a slip fielder, I can not remember him dropping a catch EVER, Astle has shelled a few in the past but is still pretty reliable, How is simply exceptional in the gully and Oram is incredibly mobile for a guy who's about 8 foot 10.

Overall though, I don't think our fielding quite compares to Australia. Marshall and Vincent are both overrated fielders IMO, they're fast and hit the stumps fairly often but drop far more than their fair share of catches. Franklin's a pretty good fielder, Mills is OK I guess, Vettori, despite his appearance is actually a good fielder, Bond's got a safe pair of hands but isn't the quickest round the park and Patel doesn't look that great.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sri Lanka's definitely the best of the subcontinental sides....

India have improved a lot....although India have always been a fairly decent catching team, it's just their ground fielding that has been lax.

Pakistan's fielding is pretty average tbh.

I'd still stay the Aussies are the best followed by the Kiwis and Sri Lanka.

Johnners

Agreed about Vettori Sir Redman...

IMO he's probably the best allround fielder from NZ. I've seen him pull some of some blinders inside the circle. I honestly cannot remember seeing, reading, or hearing about him dropping easy chances, and he has a good arm.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Don't see Sehwag drop too many in the slips though right?

Weak links in the field atm is only really Munaf. Not sure about RP Singh.

Yuvraj, Kaif, Raina and Sachin are awesome, Dravid is a top slips fielder and Ajit and Pathan are very very good in the outfield, particularly Pathan who is awesome.

NZ is probably better, but I've never seen India have a better fielding team than at the moment.
Well Dravid and Sehwag can't both field in the slips all the time, can they?
Sehwag is fat and overweight and that affects his mobility in the field.
Sachin isn't as good as Yuvraj, Kaif or Raina. Pathan and Ajit are really good.
Sreesanth/RPS are pretty good, Munaf is baad. So we have atleast 2-3 fielders we might have to hide, munaf, Sehwag and to an extend Dravid. Which NZ fielders have to be hidden? Honest question, haven't seen them play for a while. Last I did, they were pretty awesome.