• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

U-19 World XI

TIF

U19 Debutant
What would an u-19 world XI look like? You can pick any player who was eligible to play the u-19 world cup this year.

Gaurav Dhiman(India)
Cheteshwar Pujara(India)
Eoin Morgan(Ireland)
Moises Henriques(Australia)
PDMA Cooray(Sri Lanka)
Mehrab Hossain jnr(Bangladesh)
Mushfiqur Rahim(Bangladesh)
Piyush Chawla(India)
Anwar Ali(Pakistan)
Jamshaid Ahmed(Pakistan)
Vijay Yomahesh(India)
Super-sub: Basant Regmi(Nepal)

PY

International Coach
There's going to be uproar at the lack of Macca....:p

No England players though is slightly disappointing though I can't argue as I haven't been able to watch any games. No contenders?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wow, a Nepali and no Englishmen/South Africans/West Indians..

Further evidence of crickets powerbase changing somewhat?

open365

International Vice-Captain
PY said:
There's going to be uproar at the lack of Macca....:p

No England players though is slightly disappointing though I can't argue as I haven't been able to watch any games. No contenders?
From what i've seen and heard,they're ALL crap.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Wow, a Nepali and no Englishmen/South Africans/West Indians..

Further evidence of crickets powerbase changing somewhat?
Mmmmm...i think minnow countries are allways going to be more competetive at U19 level because it's more about talent than what coaching and guidance they've received back home.

But hopefully we'll see these players improve and become real stars in the furture,but ihave to say i'm a bit worried baout England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's hard to nominate, when you haven't really seen many of them play.

Todd Astle was pretty damn consistent for NZ though. I suppose thats about it from NZ. Although Hamish Bennett bowled pretty well too.

adharcric

International Coach
My top 5 prospects would be Gaurav Dhiman, Cheteshwar Pujara, Moises Henriques, Piyush Chawla and Jamshed Ahmed

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
i think the problem England had was that they weren't really looking to the world cup until after the end of the 2005 season. This meant that they were basically almost completely changing their side, its no surprise they were awful in Bangladesh, and they did better than i thought they would in the world cup.

Last summer they had the likes of Smith, Broad, Footit, Harrison, Davies, Latouf, Ben Harmison. The only players left were Ali, Chopra and James.

I guess other teams might have followed this path aswell, although certainly the majority of the SL side that toured were involved in the WC.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Actually im not sure why Broad, Davies and Denly didn't take part, they are still only 19. Does anyone know what the cut off date was?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Cut off date is August 31st, I think. So you had to be 18 or younger on that day, and anyone who turned 19 1/8 and onwards is eligible.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Cut off date is August 31st, I think. So you had to be 18 or younger on that day, and anyone who turned 19 1/8 and onwards is eligible.
Did that just apply to the Test Countries? It's just that a few of the Irish side are 20.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Chawla gets picked for Indian team to play against England.He will be the first teen to play for the national side among all the U-19 WC teens.

I think this guy has a making of a very good allrounder.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
IndianByHeart said:
Chawla gets picked for Indian team to play against England.He will be the first teen to play for the national side among all the U-19 WC teens.

I think this guy has a making of a very good allrounder.
Except for the facts that:

a) Mushfiqur Rahim and Graeme Cremer have already played Tests
b) Sean Williams has played ODI
c) Eoin Morgan has been playing for Ireland for ages
d) Squad != Team

There are probably e) and onwards among the associates, but I can't be bothered checking.