• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two Tier Test Championship?

Deja moo

International Captain
Two Tier Test Championship?....Ehsaan Mani agrees ...Whether rest of ICC agrees is a different matter...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No chance - there's 1 good side, 2 really crap, and the rest are fairly even - so how do you split them?

Bazza

International 12th Man
And also that would create a new standard of cricket. You have FC cricket and Test matches. Everything in the history of the game (well over 100 years) has been measured as such. What do you call the new level? Does the second tier become 'B' Tests? Or the first tier 'Premier' Tests?

It just wouldn't work.

You have Test matches, and everything else below that. No need to have two tiers of test cricket.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think it could work. 8 teams in 2 divisions with a relegation system. All one day games and tests played in first division would be the full thing while matches played in second division would be first class and list a one day matches.

How does that sound.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think what they're talking about is:

Aus, S.A, NZ, S.L, Eng, Ind, Pak, Zim, W.I in 1st division

2nd Division: Bangladesh, Kenya, Canada, Namibia, Scotland, Holland etc

Theres no way they'd divide the top 8 international teams up, that would be ridiculous.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's not the money or infrastructure for those smaller sides to be going round the world playing each other in all honesty.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lets face it..Cricket will never grow if we only ever have 8 competitive countries. And I think every1 would agree that we'd like to see more countries playing rather than the same teams over & over again.

I think the ICC need to look beyond the fact that a 2nd tier competition would not be a money-spinner but I think they should target 6 or 7 nations who realistically have the resources to eventually produce a competitive team.

And I think that the top countries in cricket need to support this by sending players to these countries & help with coaching or at least give players a really good insight into the rules of cricket.

Lets not forget that in a place like Canada there are alot of Indians, Englishmen, Australians etc who have adopted Canada as their home & to get coaching from players like Mark Waugh, Ravi Shastri or whoever it doesn't matter..it would be a dream come true and with the skills they can learn they might committ themselves a bit more to cricket.

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
I think world cricket really needs 2 tiers...top 8 teams playing test cricket and another 8 teams or so playing 5 day first class matches....
As the number of teams keep increasing,the frequency at which the top teams play each other will only keep increasing. Imagine if Australia plays England only every 6-7 years due to committments to play teams like Bangladesh ( and Kenya and others in ther future,considering ICC's plans for involvign more international teams in cricket)..
Indeed future players will have to play more weaker teams which will only result in skewing of career records.....there may be future Australian players who will end up playing traditional foes like England only once in their careers even if they play for 10 years.This is not far-fetched as the ICC will insist on stronger teams playing all weaker teams as they are added to the test playing club.
We would atleast have competitive matches between the weaker teams in their tier...there could be promotions and relegations to reward top performers in the bottom tier.

By the way, how come Bangladesh get a full tour of Australia before Zimbabwe who have not played a single test in Australia since they were admitted in 1992?!!

Last edited:

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
By the way, how come Bangladesh get a full tour of Australia before Zimbabwe who have not played a single test in Australia since they were admitted in 1992?!!
Wow! thats interesting, I didnt know that.

BTW, whats with the big pic of George on ur signature. You know you could make it a bit smaller ;)

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think it's abit of an exaggeration to suggest England will only meet Australia every 10 years. At the moment it's every 2 (on average), and is unlikely to change much for some time.....

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think its farcical that England have to go to Australia so much, and Zimbabwe have never been!?

That isnt fair , especially when you are playing in a tabled championship... Its like picking a certain team in the premiership to play against Arsenal 6 times a season instead of playing someone else

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
royGilchrist said:
BTW, whats with the big pic of George on ur signature. You know you could make it a bit smaller ;)
Or you could have spared us by leaving out the pic completely. :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I think the ICC need to look beyond the fact that a 2nd tier competition would not be a money-spinner but I think they should target 6 or 7 nations who realistically have the resources to eventually produce a competitive team.
But I don't think these nations have the resources though - they wouldn't be able to turn professional...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
Australia have only just come up with the off season Tests idea. Had they had it a few years back, Zim would've been the team they used it on.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
royGilchrist said:
If this means we wont have to watch these '2nd tier' teams in the WC, I am all for it.
One of the '2nd tier" teams made it to the semis this time around, Roy......

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I am not sure if you are saying that sarcastically or you are serious.

In any case, if all the teams had played all the matches, it would have taken more than a miracle for Kenya to reach the semi.

This brings us to the other two ICC blunders, which seems to be becoming a staple in recent years, match-forfeiting due to security concerns, and rain-affected matches unfairly decided.

Just as a side note instead of having crappy matches between these second tier teams, it would be much better to keep an extra day or two for every match to be replayed in case of rain.

I am sometimes shocked at how incompetent a sports governing body can be. Its almost like, the ex-players should get together, like Sunny, Imran, Ian Chappell, Tony Greig, Richie Benaud, David Gower, Clive Lloyd, etc. get some financier, like Packer, or Murdoch, and make their own parellel league, which will have some intelligently devised rules, and will bring real excitement into the game.

The best ICC can do is to have us see games like Holland/Pak hoping that it will be exciting, and will promote cricket in the rest of the world. What a bunch of crap. I wonder how much more popular cricket has become in Holland as a result of this boredom.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why don't we get rid of anyone but Australia and India, and play all the games in Kolkata and Chennai?

As the sole criteria appears to be quality of match, forget about cricket development in the rest of the world, we're perfectly all right on our own, and we don't need you little ones getting under our feet...

If we had this attitude 100 years ago there would still be two Test Nations only.