• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two Best Test Teams of 50 Years (1965 to 2015)

Which Team Wins?

• 1965 - 1990

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 1990 - 2015

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
Hmm. My personal sides would likely be

Gavaskar
Boycott
Richards
Chappell
Miandad
Sobers
Knott+
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Underwood

Smith
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Wasim
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

Quite close, but I think I’ll just take the latter.
Don't think I'd have both Boycott and Gavaskar. Would put everyone at present to sleep in the first hour. Gorden a better bat than Boycott anyways imo

subshakerz

International Coach
65 to 90

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Chappell
Pollock
Sobers
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Underwood

90 to 2015

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

No ****ing idea who'd win. Probably the latter because of Warne
The first team still has a better top 6, longer tail and slightly better pacers.

subshakerz

International Coach
Going according to Cricketweb's list:

The first team has three out of the top six in the top 10 batsmen ever, and five out of the top six in the best 15 batsmen of all time (Gavaskar, Richards, Chappell, Pollock, Sobers). The only relative weak link is Greenidge/Boycott, with Boycott still superior to any of the second XI openers.

The second team has Smith/Sehwag and Hayden outside of the top 30 and Kallis outside of the top 15. Two out of the top six are in the top 10 and three in the top 15 (Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara).

Gilchrist at 7 is a great asset, but balanced if not overtaken by Knott, Imran and Hadlee at 7, 8 and 9.

So clearly the first XI has a better batting lineup.

Pace bowling is close. Marshall is the best pacer, Hadlee and McGrath are near equal, I personally think the best combo is Ambrose and Mcgrath opening with Wasim as third seamer, but if we choose McGrath/Ambrose/Steyn then I would say the pace attacks are somewhat equal with a slight edge to the first XI.

The last bowlers will be Warne and either Lillee or Underwood.

Choosing Lillee swings the first XI a definite advantage on anything except a spinning wicket. Choosing Underwood means it will be closer unless we allow uncovered wickets, but I dont think the spinner will be the deciding factor.

I think the first team wins.

Last edited: