• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TV programmes about football teams

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I thought the thread title probably needed to be broader than 'Team of The Eighties' to generate any interest at all, but I saw this BT Sports effort this morning and enjoyed so much that I wanted to share it with the legion of Crystal palace supporters on CW. Such good viewing for people following the side in the 1970s, supported by a brilliant soundtrack of Bowie, T Rex, The Jam and Talking Heads. Croydon artists to a man, presumably. So many 'if only's. If only they had a bit more experience in the side to help them through when they lost a couple of games. If only Peter Ward had gone to Palace instead heading down the M23 to Brighton (er, Mike Flanagan, anyone?) But lots of great footage and lots of enjoyable interviews. Hilaire and Walsh especially good value. Cannon still slightly deluded. Sansom, bless him, just looks a mess, which is sad to see. I had to explain to my mate why Allison is so highly rated by some folks (not me) after taking Palace from the First to the Third Division, and patently not having a clue how to get us out of there, despite the 1976 FA Cup run.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't hear until today that Paul Hinshelwood had passed away. There were a few years when he looked genuine class on the rare occasions they were on TV in those days. For some reason he seemed to drop down the divisions rather quickly.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't hear until today that Paul Hinshelwood had passed away. There were a few years when he looked genuine class on the rare occasions they were on TV in those days. For some reason he seemed to drop down the divisions rather quickly.
I hadn't heard that at all. What sad news.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
65 years old; no age at all. Apparently he died 'after a short illness', whatever that might mean. He was a little bit older than the guys who won the FA Youth Cup in successive seasons, and never seriously considered the England team, although he played a couple of times for the Under 21s. But he won our player of the season award in our two seasons in the first division at the start of the 1980s, which wasn't a bad achievement given the other guys in the side. Perhaps the fact that Terry Fenwick, later an England regular, was his understudy at right back ways something of his qualities. 'Doris' didn't score many goals, so my outstanding memory of him is scoring in the win against Ipswich which briefly saw us top of the top flight for the only time in our history.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I just watched the new Sky documentary about Geoff Hurst. Very strange mish mash. Regurgitating 1966 of course, but a very amateurish production. Tony Woodcock’s hair a real highlight.

ripper868

International Coach
the We Are Wrexham doco with Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhinney is quite enjoyable, bland at times, but gives a bit of an interesting look behind the scenes. Not exactly 'must see' viewing, but enjoyable if nought better to do.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Liverpool documentary made during Brent's first season in charge was good value.

His sheer, gold-plated lack of self awareness is monumental.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The Liverpool documentary made during Brent's first season in charge was good value.

Is his the inspiration of the occasionally quite hilarious 'deluded brendan' twitter account?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best show was the one ITV did about 76-84 European Cup domination with interviews with old Forest and Villa players. Lots of good old interviews, Cloughy at his brilliant best.

When English clubs ruled Europe. Still on Itv player apparently

Aritro

International Regular
Surprised no one has made a mockumentary series based on these behind the scenes football docoseries. I would absolutely base the main character entirely on Brendan Rodgers. He'd be less obnoxious and more sincere than David Brent, but otherwise pretty similar.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Surprised no one has made a mockumentary series based on these behind the scenes football docoseries. I would absolutely base the main character entirely on Brendan Rodgers. He'd be less obnoxious and more sincere than David Brent, but otherwise pretty similar.
I mean Mike Bassett exists and I doubt it'd get topped

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If you CBA to watch the whole thing now (but you absolutely must), this is a flavour.

Our heroes are drawn against Pontefract Athletic in the FA Cup, who have a infamously sloping pitch...

"Isaac ****ing Newton is playing for their team!"

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Didn’t he get veneers just before or during filming?

Might have been some form of plastic surgery

Whatever it was, it was absolutely tragic stuff

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Already has been, tbh. In fact, given the release dates, I think it was pre-topped.

I give you the majesty of Bostock's Cup:

It took me a moment to realise that you'd posted the whole programme. You spoil us Brumby. For ages, all I could find on youtube was individual scenes, but thankfully someone's done the decent thing now. So naturally I watched the whole thing again this morning for the first time since it was originally broadcast, and still enjoyed it. Lots of laugh aloud moments, and plenty of nice touches such as Pontefract playing in the same colours as Yeovil, who had the real-life sloping pitch. Good joke at the end with the final then-and-now picture, when the lad who was turned down by Bertie Bassett turning out to be Peter Beardsley. The scenes with the youth coach are less comfortable viewing in light of the Barry Bennell revelations, but maybe those in the know had heard the rumours even then. I also enjoyed the 1973-74 pop references. The typically snooty narrator at the time describing Slade's Christmas number as 'a novelty song that would soon be forgotten.' And Bostock's cup final song being pinched from Mud's 'Tiger Feet', which reached number 1 a few months before the 1974 FA Cup Final.

On a sort of related note, the first season of Ted Lasso was also pretty good.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
65 years old; no age at all. Apparently he died 'after a short illness', whatever that might mean. He was a little bit older than the guys who won the FA Youth Cup in successive seasons, and never seriously considered the England team, although he played a couple of times for the Under 21s. But he won our player of the season award in our two seasons in the first division at the start of the 1980s, which wasn't a bad achievement given the other guys in the side. Perhaps the fact that Terry Fenwick, later an England regular, was his understudy at right back ways something of his qualities. 'Doris' didn't score many goals, so my outstanding memory of him is scoring in the win against Ipswich which briefly saw us top of the top flight for the only time in our history.
That was all about Paul Hinshelwood, who died far too young a couple of years ago. Anyway, his grandson Jack played for Brighton yesterday; possibly his first appearance at that level. Jonathan Pearce, who I do like as a commenator, listed all Jack's Brighton connections but sadly forgot to mention his grandfather Paul. Now sorted.