• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten West Indian Batsmen/bowlers

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Point seen, though Lara did look very good in New Zealand in '99, admittedly in just a 2-Test series. He had substandard series in England and Australia though. There was talk at the time that he was having vision problems. I'm not sure how much that affected his game, but from what I've heard he got that corrected not long before the Sri Lanka series..
well lara credited his own success in SL to gary sobers, who he claims helped modify his technique so that he played with a much straighter bat. personally i didnt really see that much of a change in the way in which his bat comes down, it still comes from the side,but then again maybe it was just something extremely minor.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
tooextracool said:
well lara credited his own success in SL to gary sobers, who he claims helped modify his technique so that he played with a much straighter bat. personally i didnt really see that much of a change in the way in which his bat comes down, it still comes from the side,but then again maybe it was just something extremely minor.
When guys like Lara and Sobers discuss batting, the changes may be so minor that we cannot see it and yet it will have a great impact. I once had the privilege of listening to Sobers at the Chepauk in Chennai. He knows more about cricket than all commentators, except Richie, put together.

C_C

International Captain
Sobers knows a lot but isnt known to be a good communicator apparently.

And FYI, i rate Boycott and Gavaskar as having more cricketing acumen than Benaud...who by no means is a slouch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
C_C said:
Sobers knows a lot but isnt known to be a good communicator apparently.

And FYI, i rate Boycott and Gavaskar as having more cricketing acumen than Benaud...who by no means is a slouch.
yeah,both of them are not regulars as commentators these days. I was referring to guys like Tony Greig, Ravi Shastri, Rameez Raja and the like.

C_C

International Captain
I think my muppet can do a better job than Rameez Raja or worse yet....Manjrekar...GAWD DAMN.... they are so bad that perforated ear drums seem very appealing when they are commentating.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
Maybe it was more of a mental thing?

He felt he was playing with a straighter bat, so he felt he could score more runs?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Maybe it was more of a mental thing?

He felt he was playing with a straighter bat, so he felt he could score more runs?
precisely what i would think. nonetheless it isnt the first time that someone has claimed to have changed his technique in an attempt to silence his critics. if i had a dollar for everytime trescothick has come out and said that hes worked on his technique since his last series failure despite looking exactly the same, id be a millionaire.

thierry henry

International Coach
Gavaskar, Boycott etc wouldnt get out to MacGrath that easily. I am not saying he is not a very good bowler but he relies a lot on batsmen making mistakes the way spinners do where as the great fast bowlers that i have listed will bowl unplayable deliveries more frequently.
Is he not therefore a great bowler because he has modified his bowling to be most effective in his own era? As you said, bowlers from the 80s era bowled in the way most effective against the batsman of that time, and same goes for McGrath.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Clive Lloyd vs Frank Worrell?

Both were incredible captains. Worrell started the domination by uniting the islands to get along with eachother and impose together on the opposition. While Lloyd was a genius, intimidating and fearless who regined in the cricket world with the West Indies team like no one else.

Batting and bowling vise they are both VERY similar, upon stat checking their records against good opponents and home/away records. If you could pick one, who would it be?

The stylish playmaker Worrell or the Hard hitting brute Lloyd?

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Worrell is the better batsman, bowler, and captain.
Okay so in context to quality bowling attacks to their respective times:

Frank Worrell averages 41.5 away and 52.5 home (vs Aus and Eng)

Clive Lloyd averages 46 away and 46 home (vs Aus, Eng, Pak, Ind, NZ)

To call one a better batsman then the other might be a bit unfair? As for bowling Worrell gets a bit of edge due to him bowling more, but surprisingly lloyd did nearly as good as worrell whenever he did get the chances to.

As for captaincy, i have no comment as they both have a huge list of merits on it. And why i would love if this forum could clear it out which one's captaincy was more effective and why!