• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Centuries

Bazza

International 12th Man
I dunno. I mean Gibbs is having a great time of it. He has been in marvellous form for some time now and that pitch was a belter. I also got the impression the New Zealand attack wilted somewhat.

Andrew Symonds was under alot of pressure. His team were in trouble and he was under fire because many people thought he shouldn't be in the squad, let alone the team. He made a rather sizeable point to his critics.

krkode

State Captain
Although I have seen none of these centuries on TV/Live, on paper, I'd definitely rate the best centuries like this:

Fleming's 134 - whata knock! That century changed NZ's fate in this world cup
Lara's 116 - completely changed that match
Symond's 143* - also completely made up for the top order collapse
Styris's 141* - It was a superb hundred despite his team having lost. A one man effort

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming - No previous batting form, opening against the South Africans at the Wanderers with 30 000 fans jeering you chasing a target of 306. Pretty much a flawless innings apart from the dropped catch on 53.

Gibbs - Well in most matches his century would have won South Africa the match, streaky at first but absolutely brutal towards the end of his innings.

Lara - His century pretty much lead the West Indies to the opening match win over South Africa. A terrific century when he's been out of a cricket for awhile with a serious illness.

Symonds - Came in under pressure when Australia had lost a few wickets, already under pressure from Australia fans for always under-performing. Symonds played a fantastic knock against one of the world's best fast bowling attacks & has kept his chances of staying in the Aussie ODI team alive.

Styris - Styris was unfortunate that NZ lost because not much coverage was given of this century. Never really known to make big scores but this one was out of the top draw & his attack on Murali at the end was great to watch. If NZ had won the match this century would have been of huge importance.

Jayasuriya - Another brutal knock from Jayasuriya, at times you got the feeling he'd get out but he made sure he hit the ball very hard & was probably the reason why Sri Lanka beat New Zealand.

Wishart - A fantastic innings from a player, people know little about, however recognition will never be that high because it was against Namibia.
Jayasuriya
Wishart

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Fleming
Gibbs
Lara
Symonds
Styris
Jayasuriya
Wishart
It's a shame to see Wishart's innings being downgraded...he didn't put a foot wrong and he carried his bat...what more do you want?

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
It's a shame to see Wishart's innings being downgraded...he didn't put a foot wrong and he carried his bat...what more do you want?
I think most people said that on the grounds that it was made against a very week team.

Personally, my own rankings were on the basis of quality under pressure rather than quality of the innings itself, as I think the former matters more in a WC match...

If I had to rate all the centuries of this world cup so far and not just the top few, my last would be Gibbs - as good as the innings was, it couldn't shift the match.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
I think most people said that on the grounds that it was made against a very week team.

Personally, my own rankings were on the basis of quality under pressure rather than quality of the innings itself, as I think the former matters more in a WC match...

If I had to rate all the centuries of this world cup so far and not just the top few, my last would be Gibbs - as good as the innings was, it couldn't shift the match.
Yeah but Wishart's made the match a huge victory. His century should still be up there, he didn't get out, and Pakistan didn't exactly go into free-scoring mode against Nambia...

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Yeah but Wishart's made the match a huge victory. His century should still be up there, he didn't get out, and Pakistan didn't exactly go into free-scoring mode against Nambia...
Maybe the Namibians learnt from their mistakes :D

True that Wishart's was a good century, but the others were great...

Ones like Fleming's and Lara's were just instrumental in their teams' successes...If eventually Zim make it to the super 6, people will tend to credit it to England's forfeit rather than this knock, which is sad :(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im my mind, World Cup centuries are more about significance rather than quality.

Yes its great to see a player hit 179* but in the end it wasn't really a significant match for Zimbabwe whereas Fleming's 134* probably saved NZ's skins & instead has given them a good chance of getting into the Super Six.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Infact looking at my list, I have made some choices which also reflect quality but I put Gibbs at 2 because it was a damn good century he was just unlucky that the bowlers didn't back him up.

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
What? For best 100 scored? The guy bats at 8 or 9...has a bit of a slog and gets out...
Well, he'll probably be promoted to 3-4 as a pinch-hitter and surprise the hell out of everybody :D We all remember Agarkar's 95, don't we :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
Maybe the Namibians learnt from their mistakes :D

True that Wishart's was a good century, but the others were great...

Ones like Fleming's and Lara's were just instrumental in their teams' successes...If eventually Zim make it to the super 6, people will tend to credit it to England's forfeit rather than this knock, which is sad :(
But Zimbabwe would've beaten Namibia without that knock - the 4 points they've "earnt" for beating England are a bonus.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes of course he will, just as soon as Neil opens the attack for England with me at the other end.
Marc seriously, tell me do you have the clown out at this hour ? :lol:

krkode

State Captain
But Zimbabwe would've beaten Namibia without that knock
That's what makes it not so special. True that they gain some NRR from that, and if they squeeze through to the next round on terms of NRR AND their English win, people will only claim that England could've lowered their NRR and they wouldn't have made it and/or England could've beaten them and they wouldn't have made it...:wow:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harbajan get a ton :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i have a better chance of marrying daniela hantuchova :P

Bazza

International 12th Man
Lets face it Zimbabwe may well qualify but I think 99% of cricket followers would recognise that if England played them we would have won and they wouldn't have qualified.

Wishart's ton was against Namibia, plain and simple. I'm afraid it doesn't deserve as much praise as 'under pressure' tons from the likes of Fleming, Lara, Symonds.

Styris' was a magnificent effort but true because NZ still lost it counts for little at the end of the day, and same for Gibbs, though his was also on a belter of a track for mine, so more discredit there. Still to score 143 at more than a run a ball against New Zealand is impressive.

Jayasuriya's was very good actually when you consider Tillekeratne and Styris were the only others to get any runs in that match, but typical of the way he plays he offers chances and so you can discredit that innings by saying it was 'chancey' (I'm sure that isn't a real word but you know what I mean!!).

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I was kidding about Bhajji :rolleyes:

If you can discount Jayasurya's ton for being chanceless, discount Lara's because he got dropped off the first ball.

Lara's rates highest for me so far because of the situation he walked into and the way he had to struggle apart from the high quality of his strokeplay.
From the very first few balls he got so much closer to the line of the ball than the two openers who looked completely out of it. And it went on..