• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 6 Ashes Batsmen of the 21st Century

Teja.

Global Moderator
Smith is the clear number one. He has the most runs by far in fewer games than others in the top 5, most centuries, best batting average of anyone with 500+ runs despite scoring 2800+ runs, a batting average about 20 more than anyone else in the top 10 run scorers and plenty of high impact, epic performances.

Who are the next five batsman in the list (Ashes Performances only) on the basis of overall quality of runs, impact, consistency, whatever factor you value most?

1613822010192.png

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd put Hayden up there. Especially for those series in Australia, a couple of times he batted England out of the game on day 1. Big hundred at the MCG in 2006 when they were 5 for not many too.

Cook obviously too for 2010-11 alone and his double-ton in 2017 to save England from a 3rd 5-0 whitewash in 10 years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Genuinely surprised Hussey's record is so good, seemed forever on the verge of being dropped*, at least in my memory.

*2006/07 excepted, obvz.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Tricky one as I expect there are a lot of unbalanced home/away averages on both sides here.

Cook therefore deserves a slot for having a monster away series, even if his Ashes record otherwise doesn't leap out.

Pointing should be a lock.

His overall record is obviously far from perfect, but Bell's 2013 home performance was arguably the most influential single series effort (still discounting Smith). Should put him in the conversation.

Hayden, KP, Clarke all decent shouts.

I expect Labuschagne will make this list in the future.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think KP should make it as the first brit batsman - has a fantastic record playing against McGrath and Warne (only one or two batsmen have done better than him against McWarne imo) and 2k runs at 45 overall which is very solid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cook only really had the one uber series.

It was a really, really good series, but Vaughan's effort in 02/03, albeit in a losing cause, wasn't too far off it. Much better bowling attack too.

Bijed

International Regular
Genuinely surprised Hussey's record is so good, seemed forever on the verge of being dropped*, at least in my memory.

*2006/07 excepted, obvz.
He absolutely smashed it in the first 3 tests of 2010/11, although I believe you're right that his position was being questioned coming into that series.
He was poor in 2009, but in the end his final-innings ton stopped it from being a complete statistical disaster

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think KP should make it as the first brit batsman - has a fantastic record playing against McGrath and Warne (only one or two batsmen have done better than him against McWarne imo) and 2k runs at 45 overall which is very solid.
Yeh I think KP's raw self belief was a big part of what went down in 2005. Was the first time Warne and McGrath had faced sustained attack from someone.