• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 openers of all time ??

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree with those 3, but not in that order

Hobbs is always 1 for me, and I can't really split Hutton and Gavaskar as my 2nd ATG openers, depends on how I'm feeling on the day.
I should clarify they are not in order. I honestly struggle to definitively rank people I have not seen play but based on whatever I have read, I think those 3 are a cut above. You can put them in your order of preference but I think they belong in the same tier, if that makes sense.

I should clarify they are not in order. I honestly struggle to definitively rank people I have not seen play but based on whatever I have read, I think those 3 are a cut above. You can put them in your order of preference but I think they belong in the same tier, if that makes sense.
Sutcliffe is up there as well.He is way underrated.
Partnered Hobbs throughout then Hammond ,Bradman came along towards the end.There is not much between Sutcliffe and Hutton and Gavasker.
Hobbs might have been a league above Sutcliffe but others definitely are not.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Was Sutcliffe the incredibly aggressive opener who averaged in the 30s?
?
Herbert Sutcliffe (England) was a very dour defensive opener who averaged 60. Test career 24 - 35.

Bert Sutcliffe (NZ) was an attacking left hander who opened and batted in the middle order at times. He averaged 45 as an opener and 40 overall. Was up with Neil Harvey as the world's best lefthander in the late 40s/early 50s until hit in the head by Neil Adcock in a famous test (very emotional) in SA in 53/54 and sadly wasn't quite the same afterwards.
Probably the best player in history who had a long test career never to have a test win. Test career 47 - 65.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Regular
Tests so won’t include Barry/Merchant to open up a big separate debate there

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Trumper
Boycott
Greenidge
Gooch
Hayden
Smith, Simpson or Lawry.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I always find it amusing how Sutcliffe gets called out on being too defensive whilst Hutton doesn’t, despite both having SR’s below 40.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hutton faced harder opening bowlers in Miller and Lindwall

Sutcliffe should have been able to put away whoever the **** we had other than Gregory opening the bowling