• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He got me good. Exposed me for the racist troll I am.

Luckily I can't get infracted because I have a couple of mods on my payroll.
I'm just wondering how many times before I've been lumped into the same group as you. It can't have been (m)any.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just wondering how many times before I've been lumped into the same group as you. It can't have been (m)any.
I genuinely can't remember if we've even agreed on anything before this.

John1990 is bringing people together, good stuff.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the list of opening batting partnerships for the last three years:

Partnership records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Roy and Bairstow are second on runs and the highest averaging pair until you get down to Khawaja and Finch.

In fact, Finch has been so very good over the last 3 years that if you take the runs he's scored with both Warner and Khawaja, his partnerships are averaging 64.6 over 37 matches, which is only a shade below what Roy and Bairstow are doing.

India's openers have made more runs due to playing together more often but because of the boom or bust nature of Rohit's batting, their average as a pair is relatively low.

What I think is quite remarkable here is the 11 opening stands of 100+. One third of your innings getting to 0/100, and over half getting to 0/50, is an incredibly valuable proposition.

It’s a long way off and contingent on a lot of things, but there’s definitely a pathway to Bairstow/Roy being the best ODI opening pairing so far.

I’m not sure that would enough to get them into an ATG XI though, given Tendulkar exists and I’m less worried about picking partnerships.

stephen

What I think is quite remarkable here is the 11 opening stands of 100+. One third of your innings getting to 0/100, and over half getting to 0/50, is an incredibly valuable proposition.

It’s a long way off and contingent on a lot of things, but there’s definitely a pathway to Bairstow/Roy being the best ODI opening pairing so far.

I’m not sure that would enough to get them into an ATG XI though, given Tendulkar exists and I’m less worried about picking partnerships.
It absolutely is remarkable and when Roy was out injured in the world cup England looked like a much worse unit overall.

Let's give them a few more years before we consider them the goats though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I gather that Roy and Bairstow are in contention for one of all time great opening pairs because once an umpire gave 6 overthrows rather than 5 when neither opener was on the ground.
What an utterly terrible post. You should be banned for this level of ****e.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What an utterly terrible post. You should be banned for this level of ****e.
Nah, you are unable of decipher what I am trying to say because you are too eager to take offence. Very poor level of comprehension sadly.

trundler

The 3 worst posters in my time here, namely Miyagi, John and Cow each held the English in very high regard. Says it all, really.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
and thats the thing, no one (john aside) is saying roy and bairstow are the atg opening partnership.

but writing them off as 'not one of' the atg opening partnerships is a load of nonsense giving what they've been part of and achieved.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Well no but thanks for trying
So let me lay down what I was wanting to say:

World cups wins or any other results are contingent on too many things aside from performances of an individuals or even pairs of individuals; in this case overthrow was just one of many such factors. To bring in the argument that Roy and Bairstow's case is any stronger because they were part of a world cup winning team doesn't make sense.

Is this what you gathered from that post? If yes, this is ban worthy reasoning in your view?

PS. I was not saying that England didn't deserve to win or were not worthy winners or Roy/Bairstow aren't a great prospect. Next to India, I in fact wanted England to win the world cup.

OverratedSanity

PS. I was not saying that England didn't deserve to win or were not worthy winners or Roy/Bairstow aren't a great prospect. Next to India, I in fact wanted England to win the world cup.
You've let yourself down. Agree with GIMH that this is banworthy ****e.

stephen

but are we saying that in order to cement their 'legacy' that roy and bairstow need to score more runs in JAMODIs?
More that they need to score consistently for longer. A 2 year run is not enough to displace the best of all time, otherwise Michael Clarke is the best batsman of the modern era.

mr_mister

Scrolling up after opening the thread, saw people talking about ankitj being banned and thought he must have said something actually offensive or something

TheJediBrah

Scrolling up after opening the thread, saw people talking about ankitj being banned and thought he must have said something actually offensive or something
In all seriousness that was unacceptable from ankitj. Cricket Chat should be a safe space for supporters who get upset when reminded that their team didn't actually win the world cup.