• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Too many soccer threads?

Are soccer threads ruining OT?

• Total voters

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
yer leave the football threads alone. no one complains about the million happy birthday threads. not that i would complain about any thread, after all it is ot and a forum.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
andyc said:
Is it possible (not just saying you, cause GIMH brought it up first) to leave personal attacks out of this? What he's saying is valid though, IMO. If you have too many super threads, then there won't be many other threads in OT. Looking at the different soccer threads though, they all have their reasons. To go through all the ones posted by Pasag (it's my first look at many of these, so I could be wrong about their content)

CWXI Football - Sign Up-- Is a sim, and will soon have it's own forum among the other simming forums

1996 - 2006 (a decade of French football domination) ?-- just pointing out something

Fm 2007-- talking about a computer game

A-League 2-- talking about the Australian soccer league

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07-- talking about the English soccer league.

Xpert Eleven-- trying to gather support for an off-forum game. The individual thread means that those who don't follow soccer that closely and wouldn't normally visit a soccer sub-fourm might still get involved

2006/07 Premier League Fantasy Comp-- Same as above

2006/07 Premiership Tipping Comp-- Same as above

Sportal Premier League Dream Team-- And again

The Cemaes Bay FC Story-- as the thread begins "First of all, this isn't really strictly about football"

How Are You Doing On CM?-- again, about a computer game

CW XI - Football-- same deal with the sim

Soccer Simulation-- a sim again

As you can see, it would be highly impractical and just plain messy for these to all be incorporated into one super soccer thread. As for the sub-forum, a good deal of those threads involve limited knowledge of soccer (fantasy/tipping competitions, sims), so if a sub-forum were created, those that don't really visit it may not get involved in these kind of things, which they may do otherwise. I know I wouldn't really visit a soccer sub-forum, yet I was very eager to sign up for the CW sim.
Haha. Worst of a bad bunch.

That's what post titles are for. Not thread titles, post titles. A football (*sigh* I'll use it to keep the natives happy) competition thread would be fairly simple to run. Whoever is running each competition posts the most recent results, and then people comment on each one. By jiminy.

We won't be closing the AFL thread, because it's been running for about 4 seasons.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No I don't think there are too many, its the soccer season for its going to happen.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
No. Who doesn't like it...too bad. Go suck an egg! (Don't quite see how that's an insult. World is surely a strange place.)

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
CWXI Football - Sign Up-- Is a sim, and will soon have it's own forum among the other simming forums

1996 - 2006 (a decade of French football domination) ?-- just pointing out something

Fm 2007-- talking about a computer game

A-League 2-- talking about the Australian soccer league

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07-- talking about the English soccer league.

Xpert Eleven-- trying to gather support for an off-forum game. The individual thread means that those who don't follow soccer that closely and wouldn't normally visit a soccer sub-fourm might still get involved

2006/07 Premier League Fantasy Comp-- Same as above

2006/07 Premiership Tipping Comp-- Same as above

Sportal Premier League Dream Team-- And again

The Cemaes Bay FC Story-- as the thread begins "First of all, this isn't really strictly about football"

How Are You Doing On CM?-- again, about a computer game

CW XI - Football-- same deal with the sim

Soccer Simulation-- a sim again
Cameron, I don't see how pointing out what the threads are about supports your argument at all, as it's blatantly obvious from just looking at the title...

For example - "1996 - 2006 (a decade of French football domination) ?-- just pointing out something" - wtf is that meant to mean? We should leave it open because it's "just pointing out something"? Ok, I'll make a thread "2003-2006 (a few dark years of Carltons history) ?" and it'll be alright because it's just pointing out something?

The fact that there's 4 threads for the English Premier League says it all...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's far too many football/soccer related games threads to be honest. Tipping and fantasy and simulation etc. etc.

I'm not really picking sides, and am not for the sub-forum idea because CW already has too many forums and sub-forums IMO (cricket being split into WC, Ashes and CT already limits discussion) but surely anyone on the 'leave soccer threads alone' side would see through Andy C's post that there are a ridiculous amount of soccewr games threads.

Movies threads are also being duplicated a crazy amount too.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voltman said:
:laugh:

Does it look like I'm worried about that? I've ended up in my dream career - you'll end up merchandising at supermarkets for the next 40 years.
:laugh::laugh:

Robertinho said:
Cameron, I don't see how pointing out what the threads are about supports your argument at all, as it's blatantly obvious from just looking at the title...

For example - "1996 - 2006 (a decade of French football domination) ?-- just pointing out something" - wtf is that meant to mean? We should leave it open because it's "just pointing out something"? Ok, I'll make a thread "2003-2006 (a few dark years of Carltons history) ?" and it'll be alright because it's just pointing out something?

The fact that there's 4 threads for the English Premier League says it all...
I actually had no idea what that 1996-2006 one was about, and I cbf looking through it all. Hoped no one would pick it up, tbh. But it's definitely the most pointless thread of all them, I'll happily give you that. What I was saying was that each thread has its own purpose, whether to gauge or garner support for a specific competition or game, or discuss a certain league.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The 96-06 thread is about French football. So the discussion wouldn't quite be appropriate to the English Football Season

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Thought it was abit lame tbh, didn't even warrant a response.
Aw diddums. You're needed to set up some toilet paper in aisle three. Away with you now.

pasag

RTDAS
Voltman said:
Aw diddums. You're needed to set up some toilet paper in aisle three. Away with you now.
You're the most perplexing poster. One second you are throwing around the naughty smiley, creating stupid innuendo and acting like a 5 year old who just heard his first "thats what she said" joke and then the next minute you are all serious, invoking the forum rules, acting like a mod with a pole up his *** and a carrying on with a general holier than thou attitude. Strangest case of split personalities, though tbh I don't like either of them.

And as far as I can see the only one that will be cleaning up supermarket aisles will be you. I am half way through a double degree and have many options waiting at the end of it. You on the other hand are a general faliure in life.

I'll let you have the last word on this one, these little games don't interest me.

Last edited: