• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tons in Asia stats

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Cook now has more tons in Asia than any other non-Asian batsman.

I decided to see if Cook's played more games than others on the top of this list. Here are the stats of batsmen relative to number of games played in Asia, and minus minnows. Ponting comes out looking the worse.

Cook

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 39
Average: 57
Number of tons: 7
Innings per ton: 5.5

Viv

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 38
Average: 44
Number of tons: 4
Innings per ton: 9.5

Border

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 39
Average: 54
Number of tons: 6
Innings per ton: 6.5

Amla

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 35
Average: 54
Number of tons: 7
Innings per ton: 5

Kallis

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 41
Average: 57
Number of tons: 8
Innings per ton: 5.1

Lara

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 26
Average: 58.8
Number of tons: 5
Innings per ton: 5.2

Ponting

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 45
Average: 39
Number of tons: 4
Innings per ton: 11.25

I expect Cook to hit one or two more tons by the time this latest series is over.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do the Border figures discount anything against Sri Lanka as they were real minnows until Murali and Vaas provided them with a bowling attack.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not overly convinced that Sri Lanka in 1992 were much more than minnows in Test matches to be honest. Especially their bowling attack. Believe that is 1 of Borders hundreds.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think the whole point of excluding minnows is a rough-handed attempt to remove innings that didn't matter, which makes some sense. Marcus Trescothick really didn't need to score a ton against Bangladesh in 2005, if he had got out for a duck then someone else in the top six would have scored all those runs anyway against some club standard trundling.

Obviously excluding Cook's poor series in Bangladesh in 2016 for this reason is brainless, as that series had two of the closest Test matches of the year. If he'd made a big score England would have won. He didn't, so they didn't. It mattered.

If you want to make a call on where the line is when you should start excluding stats against minnow opposition just be sure to be consistent about it and remove all scores that had no tension behind them, regardless of opposition, while including the scores that do make significant contributions even when against minnows, and temper the idea so as scores with some tension that might not have been necessary count, but for less.

In other words, you have to, unfortunately, think.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Shouldn't include SL of the 80s or even early 90s.

Cook has done a great job in Asia, especially India. His match winning contributions were exceptional in 2012.

I just think back to that series and think of how much destruction Monty and Swann wrought but Cook was there as the run man. KP was around to stabilise the middle order too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
2010s Bangers is as fine as any for a time to include them as a pretty legitimate attack.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Do the Border figures discount anything against Sri Lanka as they were real minnows until Murali and Vaas provided them with a bowling attack.
Border did not score any wanker runs against Sri Lanka... ever. Border took it easy on them except for his last ever game against them, which is quite understandable, legacy and all.

Take away the 11 innings and 1 century against them and Border comes out better, at 5.6 innings per 100. As the lone hand bat in the team, Border compares well with Lara. I'll take that.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
The 1992 test in sl vs aus was a classic. Sl needed 180 to win the test and were well on their way to win but Warne bowled them out for 150/160 odd. Sl were competitive at home even then.

TheJediBrah

Border did not score any wanker runs against Sri Lanka... ever. Border took it easy on them except for his last ever game against them, which is quite understandable, legacy and all.

Take away the 11 innings and 1 century against them and Border comes out better, at 5.6 innings per 100. As the lone hand bat in the team, Border compares well with Lara. I'll take that.
well there goes that theory

Burgey

Victor Ian defending the faith across all threads. Love it.

listento_me

U19 Captain
2010s Bangers is as fine as any for a time to include them as a pretty legitimate attack.
somebody call the doctor, this kids having an attack of the delusional

Cook takes responsibility and leads from the front, AB hid in the middle order, funny how both AB's do that.
Please, refrain from speaking of Border in the same breath as the greatest SA AB.