• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To Indian Fans: Which would you rather have?

Indian fans - which would you rather have?

• #1 Test team (series wins everywhere) but the worst ODI team

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • #1 ODI team (including WC wins) but the worst Test team

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • An average team in both forms of the game

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The thread regarding England was always going to have only one result...but this might be closer.

Would Indian fans be happy with a #1 ODI team (including world cup wins) vs. #1 Test team (including series wins everywhere)?

I would easily go for the latter, but I am interested to know how many people feel WC is very important.

If you are not an India team fan, please refrain from voting. I know how most non-Indian fans would feel.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, as an outsider who keeps a bit of an eye on India I would prefer them to be the #1 Test team in the world rather than the #1 ODI team. But from what I can gather ODI's are very important to alot of people in the subcontinent so this could be a little bit closer.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
HAHA SS good to see you paying attention to my threads :p .

Anyways, I would rather have India as a number one Test team if, and only IF, being a number one ODI team doesn't include them winning the world cup. BUT since you say it includes them winning the world cup, I would rather take being number one in ODIs. Because I would more than anything want India to win the World Cup (aka the biggest stage in Cricket).

Dravid

International Captain
I would actually prefer having an average team in both forms, but if I HAD to pick one, then I would pick a greater test team. Test Cricket was the original game and is more difficult than the one day version of the game imo. I'm not sure how many Indian fans (even those outside Cricket Web) would actually want a greater Test team than ODI team cause most of them care more about the ODIs than the Test

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid said:
I would actually prefer having an average team in both forms, but if I HAD to pick one, then I would pick a greater test team. Test Cricket was the original game and is more difficult than the one day version of the game imo. I'm not sure how many Indian fans (even those outside Cricket Web) would actually want a greater Test team than ODI team cause most of them care more about the ODIs than the Test
Then why do England do better in Tests and ODIs, is it because they succeed in things that are more difficult, and aren't able to prosper in the easier format?

On the other hand, I am not saying Tests are easier than ODIs either.

Dravid

International Captain
Really depends on your style of playing. ODI is more about getting the runs faster so you need to get a little more aggressive than test cricket. Test cricker requires more patience and you probably wont do really good if you play really aggressive like you will in ODI. But still imo if a batsman who can bat in ODI, and Tests, would find it harder to score runs in Tests and a bowler whos good in both forms would have more problems picking up wickets.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Then vote for that choice. It's an option.

adharcric

International Coach
Excellent poll SS. The World Cup is extremely important to me, but I would prefer India being the #1 test team in the world and rubbish in the shorter format simply because test success is more difficult to achieve and one-day success is less difficult to achieve.

I hope I will live to see the day when India top the charts in both forms of the game, but test supremacy will be the real dream come true.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As much as I like Tests, I will take a WC win over any test success. 1983 WC win still remains our biggest cricketing achievement so far

pasag

RTDAS
silentstriker said:
If you are not an India team fan, please refrain from voting. I know how most non-Indian fans would feel.
Probably should have made it a public poll.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
As much as I like Tests, I will take a WC win over any test success. 1983 WC win still remains our biggest cricketing achievement so far
Man me and this guy think alike.

R_D

International Debutant
I think you can understand the English and Aussies prefering Ashes over World cup win because it means so much more to them due to history, long rivilary etc but indians don't really have that same thing going on in tests. There's pakistan but we only started playign test match after 13 or 14 years later. You lose one test series, there's always one around the corner few months down the track. But world cup's only played once a 4 year so i'd rather take the World Cup win as well.

AS for this poll... hmm don't know, I'd love for india to win the world cup but i wouldn't want to see us being totally rubbish in the test arena either.

How about india win the world cup and still be an average side in test matches ? :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I picked Tests just because they were more exciting and it seems like you accomplish a lot more when you win one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Yeah but that's the thing isn't it, India have already won a WC, and whilst it'd be awesome, it wouldn't even be close to winning a test series all over the world. That's just something not even a WC can be compared to.

Beating Aus in Aus would be one thing, but doing that along with everywhere else is far better than a WC win, wouldn't you say?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Yeah but that's the thing isn't it, India have already won a WC, and whilst it'd be awesome, it wouldn't even be close to winning a test series all over the world. That's just something not even a WC can be compared to.

Beating Aus in Aus would be one thing, but doing that along with everywhere else is far better than a WC win, wouldn't you say?

Definatly for me, at least. In fact, I would take beating a full strength Aus in Aus (test) over a WC win.