• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To Australian fans...

To Australian fans, which was the more satisfying victory?

• Total voters

Fusion

Global Moderator
Haha, Richard editing his post to include Matt's comments confused me for a sec. Made it seem he had quoted his post even before he had a chance to post it!

archie mac

International Coach
Another reason people have voted for the Ashes, I believe, is because the poll is public...people can see who voted where and they think "heaven forbid if anyone thinks I'm not a purist and put OD cricket ahead of tests...I better vote for the Ashes"
I don't think that is the case at all:-O

I am surpirsed you would rate a game that has only been played since 1963, and a WC that has only been going since 1975 higher then a game that has been played for hundreds of years and a tradition that has been going since 1877 (or 1882)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Sean, you evidently haven't read Gelman's reply.

I'm really, really torn for my Saj this week... am I allowed a dual-award? :huh:

archie mac

International Coach
Haha, Sean, you evidently haven't read Gelman's reply.

I'm really, really torn for my Saj this week... am I allowed a dual-award? :huh:
I would prefer not, people seemed a little disappointed when you did that before, almost like they were only getting half an award

Fiery

Banned
I don't think that is the case at all:-O

I am surpirsed you would rate a game that has only been played since 1963, and a WC that has only been going since 1975 higher then a game that has been played for hundreds of years and a tradition that has been going since 1877 (or 1882)
Fair enough. I've obviously under-estimated the importance of the Ashes to Australians. I would have thought the fact that the English rarely put up much of a fight for it that the fire may have died down a little. Looks like I'm wrong. :)

archie mac

International Coach
Fair enough. I've obviously under-estimated the importance of the Ashes to Australians. I would have thought the fact that the English rarely put up much of a fight for it that the fire may have died down a little. Looks like I'm wrong. :)
For myself it will always be the Ashes, but I think if we had never won a WC the poll would have been the other way around:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would prefer not, people seemed a little disappointed when you did that before, almost like they were only getting half an award
I'll just have to do the "honourable mention" thing then...

I was really disappointed people viewed it as half an award, TBH. A shared award is no shame.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Might have been the case until they won in 2005 and carried on like they were so good! ;) That's put enough fire back in to last through another 15 years of drubbings... :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Y'know why we carried-on like we were so good, don't you? Yes! Because... shock-horror... we were!!!!!!!!!!

It was naive of anyone who thought such a thing to think we would continue to be so for long, of course.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hence the ;)

It would be naive of you to think I was being serious tbh.

Might have to start adding:

:frusty: YES I'M BEING SARCASTIC...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. Couldn't resist getting someone at their own game.

Got some back, though, TBH.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Except I'm one of the few who generally gets and appreciates your sarcasm. Deeply hurt tbh

pup11

International Coach
I think the most important lesson to be learnt by the rest of the cricketing world from the Ashes 06/07 and WC 07 is that you never taunt the Aussies, it only makes them more determined and pumped up and when that happens the result is there for everyone to see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hahaha. I don't believe for a second that any taunting they received changed one single thing - they were always odds-on to play like they have this season IMO, certainly to beat England in the Tests.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, I agree with you Rich but weren't Aussies also odds-on favourites to win the Ashes 05 (especially after winning the Lords test in the manner in which they did) or the CB Series finals.

So it only shows when the Aussies get taunted they just play cricket on a different level to prove their critics wrong and just destroy their opposition.