• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine ***ting scandal, will resign

Spark

Global Moderator

It's paywalled but here are the key bits

Former Cricket Tasmania staffer Renee Ferguson has alleged she was “deeply offended” after ex-Test captain Tim Paine sent her a “***ually explicit, unwelcome and unsolicited photograph of his genitals” and bombarded her with ***ual messages.

She also said three other men employed by Cricket Tasmania – whom she had also never had a ***ual or romantic relationship with – bombarded her with unsolicited ***ual messages and comments.

[...]

Ferguson says the harassment was “relentless and systemic” and felt she was compelled to “put up with” the ***ually explicit messages and graphic remarks she received over the course of two years. She also states “no one was doing anything about it”.
This comes from a submission to the Federal Court seeking damages.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Given what we already saw about the exchange, I find a lot of this hard to believe. But I suppose that is how you have to write to kickstart the lawsuit? My cynical guess is that she is intending to seek some damages/out of court settlement here.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love how the Australian media and cricinfo are trying to make Paine's book such a big deal and no-one on CW cares about it at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
The more interesting news to me is the accusation that SA were ball tampering during that series too. It's not a huge surprise, it's pretty obvious in hindsight that everyone and their mother was doing "interesting" things to the ball in some way given how prominent reverse swing was in the game then, but that's the first time I've heard that accusation made outright.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think the closest version we had heard was discontent about who the South African cameraman had focused on right

Burgey

The more interesting news to me is the accusation that SA were ball tampering during that series too. It's not a huge surprise, it's pretty obvious in hindsight that everyone and their mother was doing "interesting" things to the ball in some way given how prominent reverse swing was in the game then, but that's the first time I've heard that accusation made outright.
I've been told by someone close to an Aus player on that tour the reason it escalated to the ridiculous sandpaper fiasco was the frustration at the amount of tampering the home side was up to, though as has been said, everyone was doing it (not that that's an excuse).

Spark

Global Moderator
I've been told by someone close to an Aus player on that tour the reason it escalated to the ridiculous sandpaper fiasco was the frustration at the amount of tampering the home side was up to, though as has been said, everyone was doing it (not that that's an excuse).
Yeah it really fits in with the broader narrative that the team had been infected with this siege mentality and sort of revenge loop ("they're getting away with it, so why can't we" sort of deal). And suddenly, sandpaper.

I've no doubt that they vented a lot to the Indian players too privately which is partially why India seemed to get into a vaguely similar loop recently when they toured there.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don’t believe that

Sandpaper is next level, brain explosion stuff

Think that the most likely explanation is the most obvious

Warner lost the plot due to the personal nature of the sledging, Bancroft was either intimidated or a moron & Smith was off with the pixies

I simply cannot imagine a situation where a team agreed that taking sandpaper onto a ground in front of multiple cameras was a good idea

And I say that as someone who played a first grade game with a guy who taped sandpaper to the face of his bat to take the shine off the new ball:laugh:

Spikey

Yeah it really fits in with the broader narrative that the team had been infected with this siege mentality and sort of revenge loop ("they're getting away with it, so why can't we" sort of deal). And suddenly, sandpaper.

I've no doubt that they vented a lot to the Indian players too privately which is partially why India seemed to get into a vaguely similar loop recently when they toured there.
I've always thought this. Noted balltamper FdP is sitting there while the New Real AB kicks their butt all over the place after Rabada got his ban taken off. it was a toxic mix

frankly the problem was that with Warner injured we had to leave it to the dumb new kid.

Starfighter

I'm about as surprised as I am at it raining at the moment. I always found it funny that people were casting aspersions on Australia for getting reverse swing early when SA where doing the same thing.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Rabada had more or less won the previous game mostly on the back of getting prodigous early reverse swing IIRC.

social

Gets worse

I played in a team where the groundsman added a yard to the length of the pitch because we were batting against Pascoe the following day

Another one covered the wrong pitch on a rainy Friday night because we were defending a low score against Dirk Wellham and Peter Toohey

However, they were all individual decisions

Literally no chance that you would get 11 guys to agree to it