• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine ***ting scandal, will resign

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh yeah, it's totally morally wrong and the wife would be right to consider it on a par with cheating. But this insistence that sportsmen are somehow paragons of virtue is an attitude that is complete, as the English would say, bollocks.

The thing that grinds my gears is that sportsmen are high in testosterone, are highly physically attractive - or are at least fit - and are in positions where they are highly attractive to women. They're literally the most likely people to cheat on their partners and we act all surprised when they do. I'm not saying it's good that they do, rather I think it's bad for everyone involved. However it's the indignation at it that I think is bizarre.

I mean honestly, given the ***ual opportunities that professional sportsmen get, I think we should be more surprised that these scandals are not exposed more often than they are.
You are right.

But when you have been appointed Australian captain, a role you never thought in a million years you'd be appointed to, and you know what the importance of that role is to CA, the public, sponsors etc, you can't be stupid enough to think texting a Cricket TAS employee on the eve and morning of your inaugural Test as (c) is anything but a completely **** idea. Even if you are highly charged, and you don't really care or think about how it's going to go if your mrs finds out, or even if you have to live with the knowledge you've done it, surely it flashes through your head that the temporarily thrill of sending a dick pic pales in insignificance to playing Test cricket and captaining your country?

That's the bit I don't get. I totally get it, people cheat on their partners for many reasons. I would have thought, though, that most cricketers would have been so preoccupied with their new role, that either doing that was so far from their mind, or they weighed up the potential fallout if people found out and decided not to. Holy ****, if she'd leaked that during that Gabba Test, he's ****ed in the first week of his job. What a monumental **** up that would have been. As I said earlier, he's absolutely blessed that this hasn't got out before now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But when you have been appointed Australian captain, a role you never thought in a million years you'd be appointed to, and you know what the importance of that role is to CA, the public, sponsors etc, you can't be stupid enough to think texting a Cricket TAS employee on the eve and morning of your inaugural Test as (c) is anything but a completely **** idea
I don't think he was captain when this happened? Not that I'm saying this excuses him btw, more the incident in question happened before Cape Town, afaik. Happy to be corrected though.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he was captain when this happened? Not that I'm saying this excuses him btw, more the incident in question happened before Cape Town, afaik. Happy to be corrected though.
Nah you're correct, said to have happened just before the 2017/18 Ashes

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. this was before the 1st Ashes test I believe, when he was recalled. Steve Smith was still the captain. I think the person involved raised the complaint around June 2018 though, by which time he was unveiled as the new captain but had not yet captained them officially in a test series, though he did take over in the RSA tour obviously.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Pardon me, I read the article wrong. It was on the morning of the 2017 Ashes series at the Gabba, his first Test in seven years. My point doesn't stand, but I still think it's a ridiculous head space when you're recalled to a side you potentially never thought you'd play for again, to be doing that. And he (and she) acknowledged he'd be f*cked if it got out (ie dropped and never to return) but still did it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pardon me, I read the article wrong. It was on the morning of the 2017 Ashes series at the Gabba, his first Test in seven years. My point doesn't stand, but I still think it's a ridiculous head space when you're recalled to a side you potentially never thought you'd play for again, to be doing that. And he (and she) acknowledged he'd be f*cked if it got out (ie dropped and never to return) but still did it.
Oh yeah, don't disagree with that. In fact, it's probably even more crazy he'd be thinking about texting someone than when he'd been made skipper and his spot was secure.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Didn't she raise a complaint?
She texted him on the morning of the test saying she would be having naughty thoughts about him while watching him on TV. Seems unlikely anyone would text that to a top sportsperson (or anyone) and then be upset if they sent them a nude pic in response. The complaint was raised 6 months later when she was facing charges of theft with Cricket Tasmania? Presumably there is a lot else that we are not privy to but on the face of it I can see why they found it was consensual.

Xix2565

International Debutant
She texted him on the morning of the test saying she would be having naughty thoughts about him while watching him on TV. Seems unlikely anyone would text that to a top sportsperson (or anyone) and then be upset if they sent them a nude pic in response. The complaint was raised 6 months later when she was facing charges of theft with Cricket Tasmania? Presumably there is a lot else that we are not privy to but on the face of it I can see why they found it was consensual.
Seems unlikely =/= she wanted it either though. I mean I wouldn't exactly trust Cricket Tas here either considering we've seen how people aren't exactly willing to tackle this sort of stuff with a fair hand, even if her character is questionable like Paine's.