• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine ***ting scandal, will resign

Chubb

International Regular
Steve Waugh/Michael Clarke/Darren Lehmann's CA sanctioned mental disintegration sledging/abuse tactics don't look good in the age of mental health awareness (as opposed to action and funding).
Lehmann's racism doesn't look good in light of Rafiq either really, but I know it's been discussed before.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"consensual and private exchange that occurred between two mature adults and was not repeated" was the words used here to describe the incident. Where the pics unsolicited or not? Don't think sending an unsolicited dick pic is "consensual" in any way and frankly it's disgusting language if that is the case.
They're the findings of CA & CTas's inquiries into it. Imagine having a workplace inquiry into something, exonerating the subject of the inquiry, then saying the conduct inquired into is such that it forms the basis for their employment being terminated, be it directly or constructively.

Come in, spinner. Your unfair dismissal damages are waiting for you.

There's a thoroughly excellent decision of the NSW Personal Injury Commission which will shortly be published and which is tangentially on point. I commend it to you all.

Last edited:

Burgey

TBH, I can see @Spikey s point here. Lets leave the decision on whether the entire exchange was consensual or not for a minute. You have the Australian Test Captain, which is for some silly reason expected to be some kind of a role model position in Australian society, sending out a pic which then the other party complained was uncalled for, makes that position untenable. I understand the silliness of holding a sports team captain to these kind of high standards of behaviour at a personal level, but given that is how things are, I think he had to resign.
This is all true. Which is why they should have dealt with it that way when they were made aware of it. They're the pits. Only Rugby Australia is worse than CA as a sporting body in Australia.

Chubb

International Regular
This is all true. Which is why they should have dealt with it that way when they were made aware of it. They're the pits. Only Rugby Australia is worse than CA as a sporting body in Australia.
Hockey Australia have not covered themselves in glory with the way the Hockeyroos have been managed in recent times.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm angry not for the sake of Tim Paine but because this is such a nonsensical reason to step down. When did the Australian cricket captain have to become a paragon of virtue? I mean ***ting is stupid but it's a pretty common part of dating these days. Sure, it was a ****ty thing for him to do to his wife, but he wasn't exactly having an affair and even if he was having an affair, it's not anybodies business except those involved.

The absurdity of all of this is that I thought we left all of that moralising in the 80s, but there seems to have been a huge resurgence in the last few years.

Burgey

Well he went some way to cultivate that image, as did CA

Lol, Simon Longstaff is on the radio right now saying he wasn't made aware of this when he did his review into the ethical culture of CA.

Amazing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm angry not for the sake of Tim Paine but because this is such a nonsensical reason to step down. When did the Australian cricket captain have to become a paragon of virtue? I mean ***ting is stupid but it's a pretty common part of dating these days. Sure, it was a ****ty thing for him to do to his wife, but he wasn't exactly having an affair and even if he was having an affair, it's not anybodies business except those involved.

The absurdity of all of this is that I thought we left all of that moralising in the 80s, but there seems to have been a huge resurgence in the last few years.
Haha, I feel as if sending someone who isn't your wife a dick pic is 100% cheating. OK, it's probably not an 'affair' per se, but it might as well be. I don't feel as if my wife would have any interest in differentiating between those two things.

And when you're the public face of a side that relies on sponsors - most of who appeal to family audiences - you're going to have to be a paragon of virtue. Examples all over the sporting world of sponsors jumping ship and not wanting to be aligned to poor behaviour, particularly when it relates to cheating, misogyny, anything along those lines.

Nice irony that Vodafone is one of the sponsors. Don't think they'll want to align their future campaigns to something like - proud to power phallic photography with the Australian cricket team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, I feel as if sending someone who isn't your wife a dick pic is 100% cheating. OK, it's probably not an 'affair' per se, but it might as well be. I don't feel as if my wife would have any interest in differentiating between those two things.
I'm agnostic as to whether cheating should get you sacked as Australian captain, but yeah it's definitely cheating.

TheJediBrah

And when you're the public face of a side that relies on sponsors - most of who appeal to family audiences - you're going to have to be a paragon of virtue. Examples all over the sporting world of sponsors jumping ship and not wanting to be aligned to poor behaviour, particularly when it relates to cheating, misogyny, anything along those lines.

Nice irony that Vodafone is one of the sponsors. Don't think they'll want to align their future campaigns to something like - proud to power phallic photography with the Australian cricket team.
stephen needs to ask himself how he would feel if his wife sent another man a pic of her dick

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Oh yeah, it's totally morally wrong and the wife would be right to consider it on a par with cheating. But this insistence that sportsmen are somehow paragons of virtue is an attitude that is complete, as the English would say, bollocks.

The thing that grinds my gears is that sportsmen are high in testosterone, are highly physically attractive - or are at least fit - and are in positions where they are highly attractive to women. They're literally the most likely people to cheat on their partners and we act all surprised when they do. I'm not saying it's good that they do, rather I think it's bad for everyone involved. However it's the indignation at it that I think is bizarre.

I mean honestly, given the ***ual opportunities that professional sportsmen get, I think we should be more surprised that these scandals are not exposed more often than they are.

TheJediBrah

Oh yeah, it's totally morally wrong and the wife would be right to consider it on a par with cheating. But this insistence that sportsmen are somehow paragons of virtue is an attitude that is complete, as the English would say, bollocks.

The thing that grinds my gears is that sportsmen are high in testosterone, are highly physically attractive - or are at least fit - and are in positions where they are highly attractive to women. They're literally the most likely people to cheat on their partners and we act all surprised when they do. I'm not saying it's good that they do, rather I think it's bad for everyone involved. However it's the indignation at it that I think is bizarre.

I mean honestly, given the ***ual opportunities that professional sportsmen get, I think we should be more surprised that these scandals are not exposed more often than they are.
str8 fax