• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine ***ting scandal, will resign

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBH, I can see @Spikey s point here. Lets leave the decision on whether the entire exchange was consensual or not for a minute. You have the Australian Test Captain, which is for some silly reason expected to be some kind of a role model position in Australian society, sending out a pic which then the other party complained was uncalled for, makes that position untenable. I understand the silliness of holding a sports team captain to these kind of high standards of behaviour at a personal level, but given that is how things are, I think he had to resign.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What I mean to say is both the complaint and what happened causing Paine to give up the captaincy AND an inquiry finding he did nothing illegal can be true at the same time.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sure they can. Tim Paine's (legal and consensual) personal life literally does not matter and it should not be permitted to matter, otherwise we all exist at the whim of malicious media muckrakers.

pretty sure Aaron Smith was stand in skipper at least once for the All Blacks in the post-disabled bathroom era, and they're a far better and more prestigious team than the Australian cricket team.
Yeah but Aaron Smith is a far greater rugby player (decent chance to make an all-time AB side) than Paine is a cricketer.

Gob

International Coach
Didn't she raise a complaint?
After getting fired for stealing though wasn't it. Sounds like the drowning man dragging it with him

Obviously she didn't directly asked for one but one of the texts leading up to the DP was she is going to have naughty thoughts fantasizing tim. That's goes far beyond casual flirting and she is basically implying that she is going to pleasure her self while thinking about tim and little tim. She didn't over react after the DP either. The immediate text was 'thought we are not using hands' or something.
I mean obviously sending a photo of little tim was over the top but she was definitely in it for the flirting

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yes. and it's that simple. dick pic + complaint about dick pic including proof of dick pic + the actual world finding out = paine out as captain, and anyone who thinks there could be any other result has rocks in their brain
That’s fine if it was 3 years ago

Why now?

Keep in mind that I am someone who believes that the test team should have been gutted after losing to India

I don’t care whether Paine plays for Australia ever again based on performance let alone for something he was cleared for years ago

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i for one like the idea that CTas had an inquiry between a beloved player of theirs who was the national team captain and an employee that was on the way out, and the inquiry was surely played down the middle with no bias whatsoever.

like come on.

duffer

Holding the Australian Cricket Captain to a higher moral standard than any politician in Australia is silly imo. Unfortunately this is just awful optics for CA especially when they are really trying to promote the women's game at the moment.

social

i for one like the idea that CTas had an inquiry between a beloved player of theirs who was the national team captain and an employee that was on the way out, and the inquiry was surely played down the middle with no bias whatsoever.

like come on.
CA knew

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That’s fine if it was 3 years ago

Why now?

Keep in mind that I am someone who believes that the test team should have been gutted after losing to India

I don’t care whether Paine plays for Australia ever again based on performance let alone for something he was cleared for years ago
Because the media was able to run the story. That's it. Someone, and all accounts suggest not the actual receiver, has been able to provide enough detail to allow the media to run with it. fwiw, the 9fax papers have been clear in saying media were aware of the rumours for years but clearly the papers didn't have enough to run with it until now.

Gnske

For the record, I'm proud that we finally have a thread dedicated to discussing the ethics of a cricketer's penis.

Flem274*

123/5
Ricky Ponting being upset after a DRS call or whatever is of course not comparable to possible ***ual harassment

I think this thread is a pretty good example of how having a board that is about 90% male, at the very least, can perhaps lead to a thread that is slightly out of touch. Tim Paine whipping it out to a woman who has then said she didn't much appreciate that is not a pile of nothing to quite a lot of people.

Like, it's open and shut. Paine couldn't stay on and he knew it.
Steve Waugh/Michael Clarke/Darren Lehmann's CA sanctioned mental disintegration sledging/abuse tactics don't look good in the age of mental health awareness (as opposed to action and funding).

If it wasn't consensual then the matter needs to be referred to the police and the captaincy is the least of his concerns. As it is, it looks like CA are going to play the 'look how moral we are' game on a player who may or may not be a ***ual harasser for good optics, meanwhile the player is either a ***ual harrasser going free with no legal repercussion or a solid employee with an ethically dubious (as opposed to legally dubious) personal life being publicly thrown under the bus by his employer.

All we need now for the duality of yin yang is for the papers to discover in 12 months a covered up culture of ***ual harassment within CA or a state side....

He's guilty or he's not, and I don't think CA care either way as long as it goes away after some quick PR.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
being captain of the Australian test team isn't being about the best possible captain. it's about being the model player, someone whose mug you can stick on every advert, poster and video game cover. they're the figurehead of the game. it's why shane warne didn't get the gig and it's why steve smith isn't an automatic return. paine clearly couldn't continue in his role the moment news broke that he sent a dick pic and the receiver complained about it.

now, I happen to think the biggest failure of the post-Steve Smith captaincy has been not doing anything about the God-like status we give to the test team captain, it needs to be destroyed and from there, who knows maybe Paine could have survived, but I didn't see Tim Paine and the CA board doing anything to have the captain be treated like a mortal over the past 3 years
Yep, exactly right. I'm not saying that's how it should be, but the Australian captain can't send **** pics. It clearly matters to sponsors, to a certain majority of the public, etc. Flem's analogies with Ponting etc don't work, because despite his desire to umpire, and get fired up on field, it's nothing like this. And Aaron Smith was the All Black captain 5 years after the bathroom incident, as well.

Paine should count himself lucky that he got to captain Australia much at all, given the circumstances. If he feels aggrieved, I'd suggest he should feel more gratitude that it didn't get out until now. Again, not necessarily my viewpoint that it should affect his captaincy - although I wouldn't like to think Kane Williamson was texting a dick photo on the eve and morning of his first Test as captain post McCullum.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep, exactly right. I'm not saying that's how it should be, but the Australian captain can't send **** pics. It clearly matters to sponsors, to a certain majority of the public, etc. Flem's analogies with Ponting etc don't work, because despite his desire to umpire, and get fired up on field, it's nothing like this. And Aaron Smith was the All Black captain 5 years after the bathroom incident, as well.

Paine should count himself lucky that he got to captain Australia much at all, given the circumstances. If he feels aggrieved, I'd suggest he should feel more gratitude that it didn't get out until now. Again, not necessarily my viewpoint that it should affect his captaincy - although I wouldn't like to think Kane Williamson was texting a dick photo on the eve and morning of his first Test as captain post McCullum.
I still laugh whenever I see the term "dick pic" used in a serious argument like this one.