• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This whole rain thing is really becoming tedious now

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think it should be like the rules in the 1999 WC(when only two rmatches needed reserve days in the whole tournament. In England. Starting on May 14th.:-O ) I reckon they should use the reserve day whenever possible to get a full match. Take yesterday. If they could have bowled 44 overs, they could have bowled 50. Have the first innings then come back and have the sceond on the reserve day. I'm sure Australia might have preferred that as the fewer overs there are it could narrow the class gap (although it didn't harm them yesterday). But we all know why the ICC don't do this - and it is nothing to do with players playing three days in a row - it's because TV don't want to have to show two games in a day. Well if other countries could develop the interactive technology Sky has in the UK it wouldn't be a problem. Sky can even show eight matches at once and the viewer takes his pick (in football's CL) why can't other countries have that? Then you could have four group games in a day (as they did in the first three WCs) two Super Eights in a day and the event might be shorter.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Teams don't want to have to use their reserve day as they have less time to recuperate and train fot their next match. The WI played 3 consecutive days of cricket when their innings got rained out against Australia which in all likelihood, played a factor in their loss to NZ.
I'm not convinced it really was a factor for the NZ game. Its bowlers that suffer most from having to play consecutive days, and they got the day off in between. As for the batsmen, they should be at a advantage more than anything else having a bat on the same pitch on consecutive days.

SpinnaInATurban

Cricket Spectator
What a surprise, no live action 8-)

Hopefully they can wheel out a re-run of the Australia - SA match again and we'll get another chance to see that. :dry:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The thing with only playing one innings today then waiting for the reserve day to play the second is that there's no assurance that the reserve day will be fine either. I don't really like watching shortened innings but I can certainly see why the rules lean towards not using the reserve days unless 100% needed. It has nothing to do with TV.

PY

International Coach
So they can handle 4/5 days straight of 90 overs per day cricket, but not 2 days of 50 overs and one day of 100 overs?. They can't use that as an excuse, and tbf to the WI, they haven't. But i think just about all players would rather play a proper match than what we just saw in Aus v Ban. I know I would if I was playing. The reserve day is their for a reason, might as well use it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6516663.stm

pup11

International Coach
Yeah the rain delays have really pissed me off a lot of times through the WC.

But i was interested to know that what would happen the final of the WC is washed out, who would be declared the world champion then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:blink: 149 posts in less than 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be looking over my shoulder before long, here...