• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Or play them on backfoot like Dravid, which is probably the hardest way to play spin.
Dravid wasn't exactly a model for playing spin. Warne had most success against him of all Indian batsmen and he also tended to york himself against finger spinners.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A combo of a player who can play fast bowling like Dravid and spin bowling like Sehwag will be all kinds of awesome

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes.. and it will be awesome to have that again. :) TBF, I feel Kohli and Pujara are just as good. Too bad Rahane seems to have falled by the wayside and not complete the trio of spiritual successors to Dravid-Sachin-Laxman.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli is there (with the disclaimer that he still has more to prove in Tests compared to Sachin), the other two are a fair bit behind.

vcs

And having Sehwag in the '00s made a huge difference. A gun opener like that in Tests, even with some limitations is simply invaluable.

SillyCowCorner1

Sarwan was an excellent player of spin.

But the best I've ever seen was Carl Hooper. Those late cuts were perfection.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah they’re a level below their counterparts imo
Yeah, I did not word it right. I meant to type they can be that good.

Kohli is there (with the disclaimer that he still has more to prove in Tests compared to Sachin), the other two are a fair bit behind.
And having Sehwag in the '00s made a huge difference. A gun opener like that in Tests, even with some limitations is simply invaluable.
Yes.. but in a way, I feel Rohit can take that spot too. The real problem is the #6. I feel this side can have a better #2 than those sides did, at least until Gambhir came along. And I feel Pandya/Jadeja can be better as an overall package than Yuvi in tests with the #6 slot. But yeah, it is all potential even now and that is just sad.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For all their success against Murali and Warne, the gun Indian batsmen of a generation ago were prone to collapsing to finger spin.

Burgey

Yeah, I did not word it right. I meant to type they can be that good.

Yes.. but in a way, I feel Rohit can take that spot too. The real problem is the #6. I feel this side can have a better #2 than those sides did, at least until Gambhir came along. And I feel Pandya/Jadeja can be better as an overall package than Yuvi in tests with the #6 slot. But yeah, it is all potential even now and that is just sad.
He's leaving it very late if he's going to.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He's leaving it very late if he's going to.

As an individual player, probably. But as a team, if he hits prime in the next 4-5 years and goes on a frenzy run like he has done in ODIs since 2016, I think it will leave the Indian team at a greater height than they have ever achieved.

Burgey

Well yeah, and if my Aunty had balls she'd be my Uncle. It's not like he's come into the side for the first time. He's got a history. I mean, if Mitch Marsh goes on a ridiculous run of form he could be the all rounder Australia has cried out for since the 60s and make them unbeatable again in tests etc etc. Both could happen, but the odds would be stacked pretty strongly ag'in it.

Burgey

Actually, would be pretty funny if both happened. In an everyone-wondering-w-t-f-is-going-on kind of way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well yeah, and if my Aunty had balls she'd be my Uncle. It's not like he's come into the side for the first time. He's got a history. I mean, if Mitch Marsh goes on a ridiculous run of form he could be the all rounder Australia has cried out for since the 60s and make them unbeatable again in tests etc etc. Both could happen, but the odds would be stacked pretty strongly ag'in it.

You are right. Although I would wager the odds of Rohit becoming a good test opener are slightly better than Mitch Marsh's as an allrounder, mainly because at least Rohit is trying a new role while Mitch will be going back to where he failed. Either way, I agree the overall odds are pretty low for Rohit to make it as the next big test opener but at least in Australia, think he will do well.

Burgey

This is not an unreasonable point you've made, however, the fact you failed to mention Marsh doing well is also a possibility means YOU'RE A MASSIVE HYPOCRITE!

TBF, Marsh doing well is the Thylacine of cricket - people claim it's happened, but no one has verified the phenomenon's existence.

TheJediBrah

I'd probably lean slightly toward Marsh being more likely at 28 to make it than Rohit at 32 but I wouldn't put money on either

If you can let Marsh bat exclusively on roads like that Ashes when he averaged 100 then he'd do alright

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is not an unreasonable point you've made, however, the fact you failed to mention Marsh doing well is also a possibility means YOU'RE A MASSIVE HYPOCRITE!

TBF, Marsh doing well is the Thylacine of cricket - people claim it's happened, but no one has verified the phenomenon's existence.
:laugh: :p 8-)

I'd probably lean slightly toward Marsh being more likely at 28 to make it than Rohit at 32 but I wouldn't put money on either

If you can let Marsh bat exclusively on roads like that Ashes when he averaged 100 then he'd do alright
Aussie pitches are supposed to be roads, what did Mitch do against us in 2018-19?