• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unofficial 2002 Batting Awards

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
That was your initial definition. I would interpret that as the best batsman in the world who is under 25 (people's definition of young may vary). Not "oh he might be really good in 2004", based on 2 test matches. If he performs well in 2004, I'll vote for him then. For now my vote goes to someone more deserving.
Point taken. However why do you object to his nomination? Rather you should just quietly place your vote and stay out of an argument. If you think someone else should be in there then nominate him. Samuels already has two votes. If others want to vote for him, let them...it's their personal vote afterall.

No offence is intended by this post and it is said in a passive voice.:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
It's not the best young player in the world. It's supposed to an award for the player who looks most promising in 2002 or who has impressed you greatly in 2002.
Only one winner then, Sarwan.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by Mr MxyzptlkPoint taken. However why do you object to his nomination? Rather you should just quietly place your vote and stay out of an argument. If you think someone else should be in there then nominate him. Samuels already has two votes. If others want to vote for him, let them...it's their personal vote afterall.
The problem is sometimes it's easy to vote for someone because a few other poeple have. Other times someone sticks in your memory because they have been performing well lately (as Samuels has), but he's played 2 test innings, and they were against India and Bangladesh, and which doesn't make him a suitable candidate in my opinion. I'm not saying I don't rate him or haven't been impressed with him or whatever, just that he hasn't set the world on fire all year long.

It might have been better to decide a few suitable candidates then put it to poll though I appreciate the downfalls of this method.

And besides, I like arguments... :P

Mr Mxyzptlk

sometimes it's easy to vote for someone because a few other poeple have. Other times someone sticks in your memory because they have been performing well lately
That's why I said to consider carefully. Otherwise some very good players miss out. For example look at Chanderpaul, 4 out of 5 of his Test hundreds have come this year. His average has risen substantially.

And besides, I like arguments... :P
You must be your mother's favourite child.

Mr Mxyzptlk

And the winners are:

<Drum roll>

Young Batsman in ODI 2002
VK Sehwag

Young Batsman in Tests 2002
RR Sarwan

Outstanding ODI Batsman 2002
VK Sehwag

Outstanding Test Batsman 2002
ML Hayden