• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Specs XI

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
No worries :)

Now we need a team for them to play, what about a team of players who are/were hard of hearing? This may be a little too hard?

For Aust I know Tallon was known as 'Deafy' and we have Sammy Jones and one of the Mcleod brothers, though I can't remember which one:)
How about against a team of players with physical handicaps (apart from eyes)

Eg Hutton and his one short arm, Chandrasekhar and polio

You could also extend it to conditions such as Hammond and syph

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
How about against a team of players with physical handicaps (apart from eyes)

Eg Hutton and his one short arm, Chandrasekhar and polio

You could also extend it to conditions such as Hammond and syph
Ponsford colour blind and Neil Harvey short sighted
:)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Tomm NCCC said:
Im guessing your not counting sunglasses? :) Because you always see Giles with a nice pair of sunglassess, even when its overcast, you can guarentee he has his "Specs"
Stephen Fleming often wears a very trendy looking pair of Oakey sunglasses. However they don't count in our Specs XI as he doesn't bat in them.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
SJS said:
Neither cricinfo nor howstatdotcom yield any name on this.
When did he play for Australia in tests or ODI's.
Ray Phillips was selected in the 17 man 1985 Australian touring team of England. He was the reserve wicket-keeper and was the only one in the team not called on to play a Test during the tour.

Ray Phillips is currently one of the selectors for the Queensland cricket team.

Sorry I can't find a photo from his playing days, but he definately played in glasses.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
Ray Phillips was selected in the 17 man 1985 Australian touring team of England. He was the reserve wicket-keeper and was the only one in the team not called on to play a Test during the tour.

Ray Phillips is currently one of the selectors for the Queensland cricket team.

Sorry I can't find a photo from his playing days, but he definately played in glasses.
Sorry mate.

I included only those who played in test matches (we would have stretched to ODI's if we were stuck) and actually played at least some part of the career wearing spectacles (not lenses or sunglasses).

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
SJS said:
Sorry mate.

I included only those who played in test matches (we would have stretched to ODI's if we were stuck) and actually played at least some part of the career wearing spectacles (not lenses or sunglasses).
OK, fair enough, but he stuck in my mind as a cricketer who played for Australia in glasses. Here is the rest of the Ray Phillips story if you are interested. Might be handy in a game of cricket trivial pursuit at some stage.

Phillips is a former Queensland wicket-keeper who played 68 Shield matches between 1979-80 and 1985-86 after previously representing NSW in the 1978-79 season.

In all, he played 78 first class matches for Queensland, taking 263 dismissals. He toured England with the 1985 Ashes team, playing in seven matches but no Tests.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
Ponsford colour blind and Neil Harvey short sighted
:)
In this day and age of coloured clothing and different coloured cricket balls, I can see that Ponsford may have had some difficulty being colour blind.

Does anyone still use the orange cricket balls?

Hugh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
armchairumpire said:
In this day and age of coloured clothing and different coloured cricket balls, I can see that Ponsford may have had some difficulty being colour blind.

The Stanford 20/20 slamfest does AFAIK.

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:

What surprised me is that most colour blind men see red and green as the same colour, so if he batted on a green top....:huh:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How about a Cricket Web Specs XI
My nominations:
K Wright (Mister Wright)
N Pickup

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

What surprised me is that most colour blind men see red and green as the same colour, so if he batted on a green top....:huh:
"I don't notice the colour of the ball," Ponny always said "only the size."

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Ian Botham is colour blind and reckons it never bothered him as a player and he played in pyjamas with a white ball.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Colour blindedness doesn't mean everything is in black and white, just to clarify. I speak from personal knowledge.