• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Simon Katich Appreciation Society - Kat Is King

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's about a week late, as between the time it took to hit the 'post reply' button, type a reply and then hit 'submit reply' I got banned, but anyway, here it is.

Always personally believed he was gun, it was just the matter of him proving it to the world....
And yet...

Look mate we have all seen hayden bat at odi level and he can easily maintain strike rate in high 80's by just playing normal cricket shots currently he is not doing that, and don't say he is bad form because in the test matches he was striking the ball beautifully its just mental block he has.If you guys are happy with way haydos is batting at the moment than what wrong did katich(i am no katich fan) but still the one criteria is needed.
Itstl.

NZTailender

1021 runs @ 56.72 with 4 centuries and 4 half centuries for the calendar year.

What a guy!

pup11

International Coach
It's about a week late, as between the time it took to hit the 'post reply' button, type a reply and then hit 'submit reply' I got banned, but anyway, here it is.

Originally Posted by pup11
Always personally believed he was gun, it was just the matter of him proving it to the world....
And yet...
Originally Posted by pup11
Look mate we have all seen hayden bat at odi level and he can easily maintain strike rate in high 80's by just playing normal cricket shots currently he is not doing that, and don't say he is bad form because in the test matches he was striking the ball beautifully its just mental block he has.If you guys are happy with way haydos is batting at the moment than what wrong did katich do(i am no katich fan) but still the one criteria is needed.
Itstl.
I still stand by my word, but there is still a lot to like about him, i was impressed by him since he scored that match saving ton against India at the SCG in 2003, since then he has gone onto show his class every now and again, but he really couldn't cement his place in the side then, i still believe he was wrongly dropped from the test side and it was really his poor ODI form that really wrecked his test chances, but still it was great on his part to barge back into the side the way he did on the weight of domestic runs, anyways i rate Katich and his ability in the longer form of the game, but still i am not a fan.

NZTailender

I still stand by my word, but there is still a lot to like about him, i was impressed by him since he scored that match saving ton against India at the SCG in 2003, since then he has gone onto show his class every now and again, but he really couldn't cement his place in the side then, i still believe he was wrongly dropped from the test side and it was really his poor ODI form that really wrecked his test chances, but still it was great on his part to barge back into the side the way he did on the weight of domestic runs, anyways i rate Katich and his ability in the longer form of the game, but still i am not a fan.
He was rightfully dropped as he was in shocking form and had a technical weakness exposed, and there wasn't much he could do for a recall as the side was pretty sewn up until players started retiring.

pup11

International Coach
He was rightfully dropped as he was in shocking form and had a technical weakness exposed, and there wasn't much he could do for a recall as the side was pretty sewn up until players started retiring.
Well that technical problem still pretty much exists and it was more of less exposed by some very good bowling from England during the Ashes series in 2005, the only thing he has worked on since is his shots down the ground, the work he did with Bob Simpson has helped him in that regard, but still i believe he was good enough to cling onto his place in the middle order ahead of the likes of Hodge,Symonds and Clarke at that time, and i think his terrible run in that Malaysian tri-series is really what made the selectors think he wasn't good enough for test cricket either.

susudear

Banned
A cult hero

I think people like Katich because of his street-fighter mentality and ability to grind without having a good technique.

NZTailender

Well that technical problem still pretty much exists and it was more of less exposed by some very good bowling from England during the Ashes series in 2005, the only thing he has worked on since is his shots down the ground, the work he did with Bob Simpson has helped him in that regard, but still i believe he was good enough to cling onto his place in the middle order ahead of the likes of Hodge,Symonds and Clarke at that time, and i think his terrible run in that Malaysian tri-series is really what made the selectors think he wasn't good enough for test cricket either.
Katich wasn't scoring runs in the middle order, and was rightfully dropped, as was Clarke. Clarke got a bit of a lucky recall and grabbed it with both hands while Katich worked on his game and murdered domestic bowling attacks. Not scoring runs in England, then falling cheaply (all <10 scores) in the following Tests he played at home was the reason why he was dropped, make no mistake. And being on the wrong side of 30 at that stage, and with so many batsmen waiting in the wings, most people thought that it would be for good. Indeed, I remember chatting to a few people who said 'nah mate, he's gone, never coming back'.

The dropping from the ODI side was more a reflection of negativity towards the fact he was opening - quite a lot of people berated the fact that he was opening, let alone being in the side at all, and wanting Hayden or Watson back at the top of the order to partner Gilchrist.
Katich was seen as an unfashionable villain from the lost Ashes series, and it seemed as though the selectors were waiting for a good excuse to drop him, which they got in the DLF cup after he scored just 92 runs in 4 innings. Before that he averaged 42 opening in the 05/06 season in ODIs.

So I don't really follow the fact you think that his ODI performances post dropping was a reason why he wasn't recalled. In the time after his dropping, Hodge was brought in and averaged over 50, then Symonds finally repaid the faith and Clarke blossomed in his second chance. The main reason why he was recalled as for cover for injuries in the tour of the WIndies. If Hayden wasn't injured, there's a chance he wouldn't have played at all.
I don't think it was a question of not being good enough for Tests, more a question of form and if he could iron out a few problems, which he did and now he's back and making a lot of runs.

pup11

International Coach
Katich wasn't scoring runs in the middle order, and was rightfully dropped, as was Clarke. Clarke got a bit of a lucky recall and grabbed it with both hands while Katich worked on his game and murdered domestic bowling attacks. Not scoring runs in England, then falling cheaply (all <10 scores) in the following Tests he played at home was the reason why he was dropped, make no mistake. And being on the wrong side of 30 at that stage, and with so many batsmen waiting in the wings, most people thought that it would be for good. Indeed, I remember chatting to a few people who said 'nah mate, he's gone, never coming back'.

The dropping from the ODI side was more a reflection of negativity towards the fact he was opening - quite a lot of people berated the fact that he was opening, let alone being in the side at all, and wanting Hayden or Watson back at the top of the order to partner Gilchrist.
Katich was seen as an unfashionable villain from the lost Ashes series, and it seemed as though the selectors were waiting for a good excuse to drop him, which they got in the DLF cup after he scored just 92 runs in 4 innings. Before that he averaged 42 opening in the 05/06 season in ODIs.

So I don't really follow the fact you think that his ODI performances post dropping was a reason why he wasn't recalled. In the time after his dropping, Hodge was brought in and averaged over 50, then Symonds finally repaid the faith and Clarke blossomed in his second chance. The main reason why he was recalled as for cover for injuries in the tour of the WIndies. If Hayden wasn't injured, there's a chance he wouldn't have played at all.
I don't think it was a question of not being good enough for Tests, more a question of form and if he could iron out a few problems, which he did and now he's back and making a lot of runs
I agree with most of the stuff you are saying, but i think you yourself said it, both Symonds and Clarke were given longer runs despite being **** and despite not scoring many runs, whereas Katich always came across a better test player then those two at that time, becuase despite flaws in his technique, i always saw him as a very gritty player who won't give away his wicket easily to the oppostition, a quality that' still lacking in Symonds and Clarke (barring a few innings off late).

Last edited:

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
ive always liked him, im glad to see he's finally cemented his place in the side. He's hugely underrated.