• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The silly season!

brockley

International Captain
Its usually round this time the silly season starts and talk of moves interstate start.
Brad hogg on the weekend showed his disappointment of not being picked on the weekend by saying he may move interstate with casson breathing down his neck their is always the chance.
A destination mentioned was adelaide but on the weekend dave gilbert from the blues said he would be definitely interested in his services.
Looking at possible moves;
murray goodwin comes off contract and alwyas follows the scent of money,
ryan campbell usually surveys interstate interest,now he has lost his one day place and ronchi is breathing down his neck he may wish a move,
mathew innes is off contract and seems unhappy at the vics at the moment ie not playing the onedayers and being dropped from the 4 day side a few times,
gerard denton could go home,
don nash may look interstate as may doug bollinger,
lee carlseldine may look for a fresh start after his injury,
chris simpson and damien mckenzie may move interstate to get a game,michael clark may retire,
meulman may move interstate tasmania chased him last year,jon davidson is free and playing in sydney,
jamie cox is fit and not being picked maybe he will chuck it in,
nick jewell has been in good acb cup form,
scott brant may settle in england as a kolpak player,
adam voges may move interstate to get a full season.
Just trying to get in before the rumours start,btw anyone heard anything other than hoggy.
Have heard blignaut has gone back home and that shaun ervine may soon follow him.

cricket player

International Debutant
brockley said:
Its usually round this time the silly season starts and talk of moves interstate start.
Brad hogg on the weekend showed his disappointment of not being picked on the weekend by saying he may move interstate with casson breathing down his neck their is always the chance.
A destination mentioned was adelaide but on the weekend dave gilbert from the blues said he would be definitely interested in his services.
Looking at possible moves;
murray goodwin comes off contract and alwyas follows the scent of money,
ryan campbell usually surveys interstate interest,now he has lost his one day place and ronchi is breathing down his neck he may wish a move,
mathew innes is off contract and seems unhappy at the vics at the moment ie not playing the onedayers and being dropped from the 4 day side a few times,
gerard denton could go home,
don nash may look interstate as may doug bollinger,
lee carlseldine may look for a fresh start after his injury,
chris simpson and damien mckenzie may move interstate to get a game,michael clark may retire,
meulman may move interstate tasmania chased him last year,jon davidson is free and playing in sydney,
jamie cox is fit and not being picked maybe he will chuck it in,
nick jewell has been in good acb cup form,
scott brant may settle in england as a kolpak player,
adam voges may move interstate to get a full season.
Just trying to get in before the rumours start,btw anyone heard anything other than hoggy.
Have heard blignaut has gone back home and that shaun ervine may soon follow him.

Yep blignaut is back home trying to get in the zimbabwe team,He rather would perfer international then domestic. :)

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain

Would be a silly move for NSW to take up his services. Very limited cricketer, although he always does give his best. I think he's best bet would be Queensland. Although they are very strong, they don't have much in the way of spinners - Hauritz is ordinary at best.

murray goodwin comes off contract and alwyas follows the scent of money

Can't blame him for following the money - he's got no chance of playing international cricket anymore so might as well get what he can. Will probably stay with WA though.

I think Campbell's career is pretty close to over anyway.

Can't believe the way the Vics have treated him really, and quite silly. He'll definetaly move to a team where he's garunateed a permenant run probably at WA or Tas - NSW and SA's bowling stocks are quite strong. He should've been close to the Australian team by this stage of his career - very unlikely he'll get there now.

don nash may look interstate as may doug bollinger

Definetaly, along with a couple of other NSW quicks. It's very hard to break into this team with internationals McGrath, Lee and MacGill around, while non-internationals in Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark make things very difficult to get a crack into this team. Aaron Bird is a very good young quick bowlers who is yet to get a chance at FC level and i'd say he is a big chance to head interstate next season.

lee carlseldine may look for a fresh start after his injury

Average cricketer anyway

chris simpson and damien mckenzie may move interstate to get a game

I think Simpson may stay but McKenzie definately could go, along with Scott Brant. They are both next in line, but time is slipping away to start making an impact at FC level, particularly for DM who is now 23 years old from memory.

michael clark may retire

Haven't heard about that, but it wouldn't surpise me and it would be very dissapointing. Thought he was going to be a definate chance to wear the bag green one day with his left arm seamers but injuries have taken their toll

Expect a few batsmen on the outskirts of teams - Shaun Marsh, Ed Cowan, Adam Voges, Aaron Nye, Aaron O'Brien, Nick Jewell, Aiden Blizzard etc,. to head towards South Australia, NSW or Tasmania (teams which struggle a bit in terms of batsmen, particularly SA) in the search of getting a permenant place in a FC team, particularly guys who are hitting 22/23 or older as time is started to slip from them.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Greg Blewett said:
What injuries has he sustained? From what i've seen of him he's quite a good bowler.
He's a brilliant bowler, but he's had every injury under the sun, and currently its reoccuring back strains IIRC. I heard that over the last few days/weeks he's been back playing some club cricket again, so we might even see him late this season.

Funny, I actually had forgottern about Matthew Inness. It seemed for a while there he was going nowehere BUT the Aussie Team. Now he appears to have been overlooked one too many times and his career has filtered away. Seems to me a move interstate could only be positive.

P.S I read in the newspaper that Ryan Campbell looks to be retiring this season. Its more than likely, anyway.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I wouldn't think that Chris Simpson would move. The spin position in Queensland is very open with Hauritz having a shocking season. Simpson has just recovered from an injury and has just started playing again. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get picked in the next Pura cup side after a couple more grade games.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
Good to see Blignaut and Possibly Ervine in the international frame once more..

I thought Ervine said he was def. done with Zimbabwe, isn't he engaged or going out with Geoff Marshs daughter or something?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Greg Blewett said:
I thought Ervine said he was def. done with Zimbabwe, isn't he engaged or going out with Geoff Marshs daughter or something?
Not sure, remember Hayds bumping into him at Johannesburg airport when he was going the other way.. What a feeling that must have been.. Hopefully Blignaut will return though..

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Greg Blewett said:
What injuries has he sustained? From what i've seen of him he's quite a good bowler.
i didn't say he may retire, that's what Brockley said.

my comments were:

Haven't heard about that, but it wouldn't surpise me and it would be very dissapointing. Thought he was going to be a definate chance to wear the bag green one day with his left arm seamers but injuries have taken their toll

brockley

International Captain
Michael clark said that earlier this season when he got injured,premature thing to say he is quiet young would be a shame to see him give it away.
Saw the thing about ervine in zimbabwe last week,he is said to become an aussie citizen,best thing he could do is go to the redbacks they have no allrounder since mick miller quit.
As to ryan campbell don't know his status but know the case for ronchi is getting stronger and it will be hard to keep him out especially since ronchi seems a gun with the bat.
Agree on simpson,with hoggy you gotta think casson is gonna knock him out sometime soon casson is a better spinner,a move would be in his interest.
As to davo he should try somewhere like tassie.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think we'll see any moves from interstate batsmen to SA. The selectors seem intent on picking locals and have stuck with the current lineup through most of the season. They see some good things in Callum Ferguson (I still say his temperament is suspect), Lil' Boof (despite dropping him temporarily) and others. I would imagine that if SA recruited, it would be a player already quite established as classy and not a state-level reject.

That said, if Scot Mueleman is really looking to move, SA should take a LONG look at him because they're a bit light on opening batsmen.

Top_Cat

And as for Hogg, need I remind people that Hogg has 16 wickets at 21.31 and 243 runs at 40.50 (including one hundred and a 90) in 4 Pura Cup matches this season (international committments have obviously impacted on the number of matches he can play). How on Earth can anyone say that WA would be looking to drop him? He's quite obviously WA's best/preferred spinner at the moment and is also batting well. It's his form which is probably keeping Casson out of the side. I also have my doubts about how Casson is 'obviously' a better spinner. He's good and gives the ball one hell of a rip but so does Brad Hogg.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Top_Cat said:
I don't think we'll see any moves from interstate batsmen to SA. The selectors seem intent on picking locals and have stuck with the current lineup through most of the season. They see some good things in Callum Ferguson (I still say his temperament is suspect), Lil' Boof (despite dropping him temporarily) and others. I would imagine that if SA recruited, it would be a player already quite established as classy and not a state-level reject.
not so much South Australia recruiting, but more state fringe players looking for another opportunity. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure South Australia has been quite a happy hunting ground for fringe players over the years to move to in a bid to get their FC Career.

Outside of Ferguson and Cosgrove there isn't all that much real stand out talent. There are a guys like Oswald-Jacobs and Plant and a few others who have come through the ranks but not a whole lot.......

Top_Cat

not so much South Australia recruiting, but more state fringe players looking for another opportunity. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure South Australia has been quite a happy hunting ground for fringe players over the years to move to in a bid to get their FC Career.

Outside of Ferguson and Cosgrove there isn't all that much real stand out talent. There are a guys like Oswald-Jacobs and Plant and a few others who have come through the ranks but not a whole lot.......
This is true but Wayne Phillips has publically stated that he's going to back the current young group through this tough period. The quick demise of John Davison, for example. Where SA is really short is opening batsmen and an allrounder.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
brockley said:
mathew inness is off contract and seems unhappy at the vics at the moment ie not playing the onedayers and being dropped from the 4 day side a few times
yeh, he's been treated with disdain especially in 4 day cricket. should have been playing every game. i reckon the WACA might be the go for him - still don't rate WA's pace bowling all that highly, especially when williams is out.

gerard denton could go home
would be suprised. he's been injured for the most of the year. would have played quite a few games if he wasn't. i reckon he'll have another crack at an injury-free year.

and i wouldn't expect aiden blizzard to be moving too quickly. he's only 21, and he didn't make any runs this year in grade cricket, and probably would have got matches if he had've been.

Andre

International Regular
I'd say Doug Bollinger has been given enough incentives to stay and play for at least another year or 2 in NSW - he's next cab off the rank as far as quicks go, and NSW have been lucky that Bracken, Clark and Nicholson have stayed fit all summer.

Don Nash, on the other hand, might look to leave the state due to lack of game time - infact, I've not seen him in grade for some time, so he may have already left (gut feeling is injury though). If Nash was fit and committed, he could be anything. At this stage he is neither, and Grant Lambert isn't far behind. Greg Mail might also be on the outer after a dud summer.

Davison is play for Mosman, but one of the terms of his release from SA was that he wouldn't play for NSW this summer. At 35 next year, time isn't exactly on his side.

I do hope Hogg comes to NSw, as it would be a perfect solution to the number 7 problem that has bothered them since Haddin moved up the order. Plus, he would offer experiance and is a better cricketer than he gets credit for.

Around the other states, Damien MacKenzie and Scott Meuleman have always looked standout players to me and it wouldn't suprise me to see them move on. Ryan Campbell looks like he is winding down his career - but I hope Matthew Inness doesn't follow suit - if he found a state where he was given aqn extended run, he'd still have a lot to offer. Again, WA looks a decent home for him.

Aside from that though, most of the state squads were pretty fresh at the start of the summer and have evolved during the year nicely.

Take Tasmania for example - Jamie Cox has suffled out, Travis Birt and David Dawson have stepped up as honest domestic players and Adam Griffith and Brett Geeves have taken their games to new levels.

South Australia will rightly stick to the youth policy, if anything an established state player would be handy - baring in mind, though, that Darren Lehmann looks set to be on deck full-time that may not be nessesary.

Western Australia have lots of depth with the bat and Brett Dorey has been a good find with the ball. An established quick to support Brad Williams, however, would be very handy.

Victoria and Queensland both look well balanced into the future - although Ashley Noffke has struggled, and thinking about it should he opt for a fresh start it wouldn't suprise. I'd expect one of him or MacKenzie to move on, and I remember MacKenzie turned down a big offer from Tasmania last year.

Another few things though for 2005/06:

* Wade Seccombe and Peter Roach both look like they may fall to youth in the coming summer, with Chris Hartley and Adam Crosthwaite banging down the doors.

* Jamie Cox may look at retiring, as may other established first class players such as Joe Dawes and Jason Arnberger.

* Darren Berry may take on the Victorian coaching role.

* Nathan Haurtiz could follow the same path as Shane Watson took, moving to Tasmania.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
Davison is play for Mosman, but one of the terms of his release from SA was that he wouldn't play for NSW this summer. At 35 next year, time isn't exactly on his side.

I do hope Hogg comes to NSw, as it would be a perfect solution to the number 7 problem that has bothered them since Haddin moved up the order. Plus, he would offer experiance and is a better cricketer than he gets credit for.
well if hogg comes to NSW davo isn't a chance, wouldn't mind seeing davison opening the batting with Haddin for NSW :D

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Why would you want NSW want Hogg? I thought Krezja was the next big thing and would make a good partner to MacGill.