• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The second tier of test cricket

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
You seriously think I didn't know that Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib, Saqlain and Mushtaq didn't all peak together?
If so, you can pull the other one.
Maybe you didn't notice the irony, but only a complete fool would think I was genuinely serious about a Pakistan side with so many past-its in the side was better than the Australian side of the same time.

There are no people going from taking me seriously to not.
There are, of course, people joining and being outraged at my defying of convention. There are also plenty of people who see what I'm on about.

heheheh..this is great.

If you really think we will beleive you when you say you only mentioned Pakstan of the late 90's as an all time great team as a joke, well maybe it is you who is the fool...considering the rubbish you have said about great teams dont always need to bring in the victories to be considered great etc (I think on another thread you are discussing that with marc).

If talking BS is defying convention, then , indeed, you are defying convention.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
You seriously think I didn't know that Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib, Saqlain and Mushtaq didn't all peak together?
If so, you can pull the other one.
Maybe you didn't notice the irony, but only a complete fool would think I was genuinely serious about a Pakistan side with so many past-its in the side was better than the Australian side of the same time.

There are, of course, people joining and being outraged at my defying of convention. There are also plenty of people who see what I'm on about.
I'm afraid this entire post - and particularly the highlighted quote - just confirms my impression that you're incredibly self-deluded.

I'd just like to point out that this isn't a personal attack, it's just that I feel that too often recently, you've been stifling potentially interesting debate on a number of threads. Clearly, nothing I say is going to have any impact though, so I'm going to call it a day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
heheheh..this is great.

If you really think we will beleive you when you say you only mentioned Pakstan of the late 90's as an all time great team as a joke, well maybe it is you who is the fool...considering the rubbish you have said about great teams dont always need to bring in the victories to be considered great etc (I think on another thread you are discussing that with marc).

If talking BS is defying convention, then , indeed, you are defying convention.
And you are indeed talking bullsh*t if you're saying I talk BS.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
garage flower said:
I'm afraid this entire post - and particularly the highlighted quote - just confirms my impression that you're incredibly self-deluded.

I'd just like to point out that this isn't a personal attack, it's just that I feel that too often recently, you've been stifling potentially interesting debate on a number of threads. Clearly, nothing I say is going to have any impact though, so I'm going to call it a day.
No, you're not going to convince me that I'm wrong to say stuff just because it goes against the grain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I understand the point perfectly well - you (and a few others) think I think my opinion is the be-all-and-end-all.
And I'm simply saying that I wouldn't think what I thought if I didn't think it was the right thing to think.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
garage flower said:
You're completely missing the point Richard, but I'm giving up.
Like many in the past.

The thing is by doing that he will now claim that you don't disagree (as he has done with others whp are sick to the back teeth of it.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Like many in the past.

The thing is by doing that he will now claim that you don't disagree (as he has done with others whp are sick to the back teeth of it.)
No, I won't - gf has made his colours pretty clear.

tooextracool

International Coach
garage flower said:

im with you on this one. off late ive really started to wonder whether the only reason richard posts some of his ridiculous theories is simply to go against the conventional, more often that not, to try and put a player who he doesnt like down, no matter how well that player may have done in his career. personally ive gotten extremely sick of it, so much so infact that ive become completely disinterested in carrying on with most of those multi quote wars that really havent been getting anywhere. if he continues to keep it up, i really am going to decide to ignore all his posts all together, simply because its a waste of my time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Up to you, it'll make the whole thing easier.
I can assure you, though, that any time I defy convention it's for one reason - because that convention is misplaced.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
I don't read your posts in CC, but that's not saying much because I don't read many CC posts in general.

I think you've created a bad first impression on a lot of people here, which is a shame because you are a welcoming and friendly sort, and do well not to respond to the level of antagonism directed towards you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've created a bad impression with lots of people - including you, remember? :p
Most people get over that eventually, as you can tell by how many I'd count as good cyber-friends on these boards.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
getting back to the topic... most of these countries which are mentioned.. kenya scotland canada etc. dont have the financial backing to support a whole year of cricket.. all the players have their own regular full-time jobs and are not exclusively cricketers... plus the public of these countries arent really too interested in cricket especially the 4-day kind... so i think a second-tier of test cricket is maybe being a bit too optimistic.. whadya say?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If New Zealand weren't an international-playing country you could almost certainly say the same about them...
Apparent interest isn't the most important thing - you've just got to test the calibre of player available, and then do something to improve it.
The best solution being national teams playing in an appropriate standard of competition, and having capital invested in them.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
If New Zealand weren't an international-playing country you could almost certainly say the same about them...
Apparent interest isn't the most important thing - you've just got to test the calibre of player available, and then do something to improve it.
The best solution being national teams playing in an appropriate standard of competition, and having capital invested in them.
I beg to differ. In New Zealand, cricket is the still the number 1 summer sport. For decades children have been growing up playing cricket and rugby. Kiwi newspapers are full of cricket. All international matches are telecast live on TV. ODI matches attract fairly decent crowds. there might not be massive support as such but there still is a fair amount of support for the team.
More importantly they have the sponsors and the money.

Last edited: