• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cameron Cuffy won MoM award for 0 runs, 0 wickets, 0 catches :
Cuffy MoM for zeros
Ahh thanks, I knew Cuffy was a very economical bowler in ODIs back in the day.

There was a graphic in the early 00s during a series between Windies and Australia I think showing the most economical bowlers in ODI history, and Cuffy was leading the list.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England already held the record for the most top 3 ducks in a calendar year, but have absolutely obliterated it already this year. 16 so far and with so much power to add it’s almost frightening.

sunilz

International Regular
Read on Twitter that yesterday was only the 2nd instance of a team winning after declaring in the 2nd session of last day. Is this true ?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't be surprised. Batting out 60 overs on a relatively benign pitch usen't be that much of an ask, even against a very good attack.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ajaz Patel takes 10/119 for New Zealand in the first innings of the 2nd test against India at Mumbai.

> Third best bowling figures in a test innings by wickets taken
> Third to take ten wickets in an innings in a test match
> Most wickets in a test innings by a New Zealand bowler
> Most wickets in an innings against India
> Most wickets in an away innings
> Second best first class figures by a New Zealand bowler and the first to take ten in an innings since since Albert Moss in 1889.

Interestingly despite the rarity of ten-fors these days these are not even the best first class innings figures this season - Sean Whitehead took 10/36 for South Western Districts against Easterns in Divison 2 of the SA 4 day competition on the 20th of November, the joint 11th best figures ever. In comparison Patel's ten-for was the 6th most expensive.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The third time a bowler has taken 10 wickets in an innings. All 3 times by a spinner.

Offie
Leggie
SLA

Are spinners better 'strike' bowlers?
Historically, their SR's are higher than pacers.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The third time a bowler has taken 10 wickets in an innings. All 3 times by a spinner.

Offie
Leggie
SLA

Are spinners better 'strike' bowlers?
Historically, their SR's are higher than pacers.
In the right conditions, are they better strike bowlers is probably the right question. As you say, all 10s are spinners and 7 of the top 10 figures are spinners.

I'd throw up a few reasons - more likely to have 1 spinner in a side than you are 1 seamer, sides around the world are generally less adept at handling spin than seam if conditions suit, spinners may tend to hit the stumps more than seamers, another mode of dismissal (stumping), spinners can bowl more overs (no seamer is bowling 47 overs in India like Patel did for his 10), etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In the right conditions, are they better strike bowlers is probably the right question. As you say, all 10s are spinners and 7 of the top 10 figures are spinners.

I'd throw up a few reasons - more likely to have 1 spinner in a side than you are 1 seamer, sides around the world are generally less adept at handling spin than seam if conditions suit, spinners may tend to hit the stumps more than seamers, another mode of dismissal (stumping), spinners can bowl more overs (no seamer is bowling 47 overs in India like Patel did for his 10), etc.

To be fair, I think the last one is the most obvious reason why. Spinners can bowl much longer spells when in good form. Zaheer spoke on Cricbuzz yesterday about a 9fer he took in county. He said he kept going for 14 overs. For a spinner taking all wickets to fall, that is like one half of a spell, lol.