• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The reason Indian bowlers are the way they are

Precambrian

Banned
I think the situation is changing in India, we are getting a good number of fast bowlers coming up. However the quality of batsmanship has suffered. Or maybe it's that the current Fab 4 were to high a benchmark to base them on.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the situation is changing in India, we are getting a good number of fast bowlers coming up. However the quality of batsmanship has suffered. Or maybe it's that the current Fab 4 were to high a benchmark to base them on.
Quality of what batsmanship? Gambhir and Sehwag are openers as good as you've had recently, and none of the others have had a chance to fail. Bar Yuvraj, who should never, ever have been picked.

Precambrian

Banned
Quality of what batsmanship? Gambhir and Sehwag are openers as good as you've had recently, and none of the others have had a chance to fail. Bar Yuvraj, who should never, ever have been picked.
Gambhir is a surprise but then he has thrived on pitches that suited him. Let him play on a reasonable variety of surfaces before any judgement is passed on him. Anyway as of now, he is no way near the Fab 3 (Lax, Dravid, Sachin). Sehwag is there for quite some time now.

After that who? Badri looks the part, but he needs a long run. Rohit Sharma is looking too young and too iffy in terms of temperament. I think it's my fault trying to compare them with a completely different breed of batsmen. Like every spinner in Aus is compared to Warne, or every pacer with McGrath.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir is a surprise but then he has thrived on pitches that suited him. Let him play on a reasonable variety of surfaces before any judgement is passed on him. Anyway as of now, he is no way near the Fab 3 (Lax, Dravid, Sachin). Sehwag is there for quite some time now.

After that who? Badri looks the part, but he needs a long run. Rohit Sharma is looking too young and too iffy in terms of temperament. I think it's my fault trying to compare them with a completely different breed of batsmen. Like every spinner in Aus is compared to Warne, or every pacer with McGrath.
Yeah, noone knows how Gambhir will play on a grass-topped pitch in Australia, but let's not forget the fab four weren't at their most dominant in such situations. Badri and Sharma won't literally replace such legends, but they could have enough ability that the batting quality won't take a significant hit. There's a lot of potential there for India. Their future looks as bright as anyone's in test cricket at the minute IMO.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, noone knows how Gambhir will play on a grass-topped pitch in Australia, but let's not forget the fab four weren't at their most dominant in such situations. Badri and Sharma won't literally replace such legends, but they could have enough ability that the batting quality won't take a significant hit. There's a lot of potential there for India. Their future looks as bright as anyone's in test cricket at the minute IMO.
Yeah, as I said, I am comparing them to a very high benchmark. Given what they have put up so far, there should be no worries that India's batting is gonna all bust up post Fab 4. Only hope they retain their focus and application for Test cricket amidst making the millions from 20-20 matches.

Bouncer

State Regular
I think its the lake of the fast bowler as role models for india that has caused this whole issue, Imran while growing up wanted to be Fazal mahmood, Wasim and waqar wanted to be imran, shoaib while growing up wanted to be waqar younis till he saw a a poster of huge hefner.

Fast bowling is always considered a more manly part of the cricket in Pakistan and kids see being fast bowlers an ultimate most respectful place in playing ground. While growing up whenever teams were selected at street, school level cricket, people always wanted to chose the best bowler in the side first then the batsman. Even though i was a batsman but as teenager my dream was to be bowling last over of an inning and knocking the batsman out like waqar and wasim whereas in india i can bet that 99 kids out of hundred wanted to be more sachin than javagal.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think its the lake of the fast bowler as role models for india that has caused this whole issue, Imran while growing up wanted to be Fazal mahmood, Wasim and waqar wanted to be imran, shoaib while growing up wanted to be waqar younis till he saw a a poster of huge hefner.

Fast bowling is always considered a more manly part of the cricket in Pakistan and kids see being fast bowlers an ultimate most respectful place in playing ground. While growing up whenever teams were selected at street, school level cricket, people always wanted to chose the best bowler in the side first then the batsman. Even though i was a batsman but as teenager my dream was to be bowling last over of an inning and knocking the batsman out like waqar and wasim whereas in india i can bet that 99 kids out of hundred wanted to be more sachin than javagal.
Big heh.