• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Real Pioneer?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah but they were in Australia, NZ from the early 80s after England put 9 fielders on the boundary v the Windies to stop them hitting a 4. Rules weren't uniform until 1992. I remember NZ playing ODIs in England in 1990 which were 55 overs not 50. Also Aus, NZ etc had coloured clothing but many other countries wore whites at home for ODIs (including 75, 79, 83, 87 CWCs).
Thanks.

So anything before 92 really cant count as pioneer or something as those weren't in response to a particular rule.

Martin Crowe. What a ****ing legend was he.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Not entirely true.
Viv scored 85 % of his odi runs in the decade of 80s
Viv 46 avg 92 sr
Kapil 27 at 102, 131 innings
Abbas 51 at 87, 46 innings
Salim malik 33 at 86, 97 innings
These strike rates are insane for that era and these players were well ahead of the time in their team roles, but there is no way you would establish a trend in a decade based on 4 players. Falls in samplesizelol category.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Wasnt the thing about Sri Lanka that All the batsmen went bat**** fast early on? That is what is different from other examples with just one opener scoring briskly. And it wasnt just about the openers. I recall 50 off the first 15 being described as doing well, until Sri Lanka turned 'well' into 75.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wasnt the thing about Sri Lanka that All the batsmen went bat**** fast early on? That is what is different from other examples with just one opener scoring briskly. And it wasnt just about the openers. I recall 50 off the first 15 being described as doing well, until Sri Lanka turned 'well' into 75.
Exactly. Even if they lost an early one, they kept at it
Nah, it was really only Jaya and Kalu who did that. Aravinda is a naturally free scoring player and just played his game. I am pretty sure the role of Gurusinha, Mahanama and Ranatunga was to provide insurance for collapses as well, which happened in the semi. People forget SL were not in all that commanding a position even when Aravinda was dismissed.

h_hurricane

That Aravinda innings in semis is one for the ages. Displaying such command, authority and class when the team loses both attacking openers in the first over. Lost count of how many times he threaded the field with precision. Killer innings...

h_hurricane

Boycott and Brearley would be the pioneers of hoping to double it after 40 overs in a 60 over match. Look at the way they batted in 1979 WC final. Chasing 286, 129 for no loss after 38 overs, lol.

srbhkshk

International Captain
In a way Viv and Sachin weren't really pioneers, they were just a lot better than anyone else in their era - other batsman could have tried to emulate them and they would have only managed a miserable failure.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Sachin can't be considered a pioneer of anything because he was a freak talent. He was simply excellent and nobody really tried to emulate him because they couldn't.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Boycott and Brearley would be the pioneers of hoping to double it after 40 overs in a 60 over match. Look at the way they batted in 1979 WC final. Chasing 286, 129 for no loss after 38 overs, lol.
More or less, the likes of Kallis and Dravid were doing the same and called it "Anchoring". Fake Bevans.

h_hurricane

More or less, the likes of Kallis and Dravid were doing the same and called it "Anchoring". Fake Bevans.
It is blatant lack of match awareness I would say. No planning or clarity of vision. Even worse than the infamous 36* from Gavaskar, considering the great stakes here. There is no way England would have been in the game after such an indifferent start.

Kallis and Dravid weren't great at planning an ODI innings either, but definitely better than Boycs and Brearley.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
It is blatant lack of match awareness I would say. No planning or clarity of vision. Even worse than the infamous 36* from Gavaskar, considering the great stakes here. There is no way England would have been in the game after such an indifferent start.

Kallis and Dravid weren't great at planning an ODI innings either, but definitely better than Boycs and Brearley.
Gavaskar can not be blamed, it was a hopeless match and he took it as an opportunity for batting practise.. or some kind of protest.. whatever, it didn't affect the match result. Kohli and Rohit Scoring 20 runs in 10 overs while chasing 340 or so in a WC match.. easily a bigger crime.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar can not be blamed, it was a hopeless match and he took it as an opportunity for batting practise.. or some kind of protest.. whatever, it didn't affect the match result. Kohli and Rohit Scoring 20 runs in 10 overs while chasing 340 or so in a WC match.. easily a bigger crime.
You spew some absolute nonsense at times but this takes the cake. Gavaskar's innings was the single most gutless/selfish (take your pick because it has to be one of the two) display in ODI history. Unless you're literally Sunil gavaskar so I don't blame you for defending yourself.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You spew some absolute nonsense at times but this takes the cake. Gavaskar's innings was the single most gutless/selfish (take your pick because it has to be one of the two) display in ODI history. Unless you're literally Sunil gavaskar so I don't blame you for defending yourself.

Given his posts about Sachin in the other thread, this cannot really be ruled out. Maybe even an Agarkar or worse, a Manjrekar. :ph34r: