• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Real Pioneer?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
It is a well known fact, during 1996 WC, Jayasuriya-Kaluwitharana duo revolutionised ODI opening with their aggressive scoring in first 15 overs. It became the norm since and they are credited as the pioneers of modern ODI opening model.

Fact Check
Highest Strike Rates for opening batsmen until 1996
( minimum cut off - 10 innings, 75 strike Rate)

Only 3 batsmen qualified

Saeed Anwar 69 innings, 37 avg at 77 SR 8-)
Sanath Jayasuriya 40 innings, 28 avg at 78 SR :ph34r:
Sachin Tendulkar 32 innings, 48 avg at 94 SR :wacko:

Thoughts?

Howe_zat

Audio File
When I was about 8 I had a game called Anno 1602. You had to settle an island and raise up a colony of people and manage their needs etc, a bit like a renaissance-themed Sim City.

When you built houses for people they were called 'pioneers'. Later on if things went okay they'd be called 'settlers' and then 'citizens'. I was 8 so I couldn't really get past 'pioneer'. Howe Snr when looking at the game early on called these 'pie-in-ears' and found this hilarious. Every time he saw me playing it he'd ask 'how are the people doing' and I'd say 'okay', and he'd ask 'have they still got pies in their ears?'. Or if I told him about a particular person he'd say things like 'he must have a really big pie in his ear'.

Anyway it's now 20 odd years later and I still can't properly read the word without giggling a little bit.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a well known fact, during 1996 WC, Jayasuriya-Kaluwitharana duo revolutionised ODI opening with their aggressive scoring in first 15 overs. It became the norm since and they are credited as the pioneers of modern ODI opening model.
Think the point was more about how they showed that ordinary/average/below-average batsmen could open and try and go full berserk mode in the first 15 overs and achieve some success in setting up the game.

No one was going to take inspiration from Sachin because they would think "Oh that's just because he is that good".

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Srikkanth before him? Though he was probably more like Afridi..

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Think the point was more about how they showed that ordinary/average/below-average batsmen could open and try and go full berserk mode in the first 15 overs and achieve some success in setting up the game.

No one was going to take inspiration from Sachin because they would think "Oh that's just because he is that good".
It was just the beginning of Sachin's legendary career, he was already a superstar by then but yet to achieve the great status.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. I keep wondering how it would have gone had NZ won that 1992 WC. Will Greatbatch be thought of in the same league as a Jayasuriya today?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Srikkanth is a good shout but he was a Jekyll Hyde kind of a batsman. His best period was in the early 80s when he used to strike well in ODIs as well as tests.

Why Srikkanth is not remembered as a pioneer ? He didn't do much of note in the formats that mattered.. the World Cups and the Championships.