• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The REAL allrounders Poll

The real best allrounder

• Total voters

archie mac

International Coach
What's all this nonsense about Brian Close being humiliated? He was 45 years old and spent 90 minutes trying and not always succeed in dodging bouncers from in the main Michael Holding. It was bravery beyond the call of duty and should have stopped by the umpires intervention but he certainly never felt humitiated and his reputation if anything was enhanced by the performance. I've never seen any footage of the India/West Indies match so I can't make comparisons.

CC made these silly claims in another thread, and was rightly taken to task for them, obviously he learned nothing from that thread, and has simply repeated the ridiculous claims

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF it was myself that brought-up said matters. :)

And I'd hardly expect C_C to have changed his tune.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I'm saying its ludicrous to proclaim someone an all time great after 3-4 years of international cricket and only 33 matches. Greatness to me means sustained excellence over a long period of time, not peaks of form.

I suppose we just differ in the definition.
Waqar's first 32 Tests (his 33rd was a shocker BTW) were spaced-out over 5 years and 1 month.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously, but you're claiming the attention that they receive from opposition does not go up when they become established stars? When Alan Donald first faced Murali, he wasn't sure if he bowled off spin or leg spin.
Allan Border, d'you mean? Allan Donald didn't know much about the bowling when he was batting. :laugh:
And no, he didn't. Some people still don't realise he's a wristspinner!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they both lived life to the full:)

The story re-Miller when he arrived at the ground just before the start of play (after a big night) as they walked on the field someone said 'Nugget we have 12 players'

'Right' said Miller "one of you bastards off, and the rest scatter'

He then claim 7-12 and bowled out South Aust. for 27.
Love it. He was one of those blokes where you don't even bother trying to separate the myth from the reality - as Benaud said "There are a lot of stories about Keith Miller...and all of them are true."

Some others were speaking before about his disdain for statistics, particularly in games that didn't matter or against weak opposition where he felt he had nothing to prove. In the match against Essex in 1948 when Australia made 721 in a single day, Miller came out to bat at 364-2, took guard a foot outside leg, deliberately missed his first ball to be bowled for a duck, then turned to the keeper and said "thank God that's over."

If he played today he'd have a pretty ordinary record against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, largely due to complete and utter lack of interest in inflating his stats against such opposition.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have a huge poster of Alan Donald bowling right behind my monitor here, so sometimes I put his name down by mistake.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I seem to recall I once did a similar-ish thing with Andrew Symonds and Andrew Caddick...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sometimes I think field placement is such an overrated practice, and then I see some fields in international cricket and think otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Love it. He was one of those blokes where you don't even bother trying to separate the myth from the reality - as Benaud said "There are a lot of stories about Keith Miller...and all of them are true."

Some others were speaking before about his disdain for statistics, particularly in games that didn't matter or against weak opposition where he felt he had nothing to prove. In the match against Essex in 1948 when Australia made 721 in a single day, Miller came out to bat at 364-2, took guard a foot outside leg, deliberately missed his first ball to be bowled for a duck, then turned to the keeper and said "thank God that's over."

If he played today he'd have a pretty ordinary record against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, largely due to complete and utter lack of interest in inflating his stats against such opposition.
Wouldn't it be great if he simply refused to play 'em?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
And I'm saying its ludicrous to proclaim someone an all time great after 3-4 years of international cricket and only 33 matches. Greatness to me means sustained excellence over a long period of time, not peaks of form.

I suppose we just differ in the definition.
To have an average of 18 after 33 matches requires several years of outstanding performance in international cricket. IMO that's enough to be called great.

If it isn't in your opinion, fair enough. :)

archie mac

International Coach

Yes I like that story sums up the man perfectly.

A great life and rumour has it that he may have 'captured' a princess