• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The protege Ravindra Jadeja vs Shane Warne his early days mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

Global Moderator
That was his sort of his point wasn't it? They have a lopsided proportion of matches at home which means they have a big advantage statistically.
No his point was that Anderson was skipping overseas tours deliberately to protect his stats Lillee-style. You can't "skip" tours that don't happen/are shorter than your home series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No his point was that Anderson was skipping overseas tour to protect his stats Lillee-style.
I read it the way OS did, tbh. I think hurricane was just pointing out the disproportionate number of home games some of the Ashes greats get compared to Indian greats.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was his sort of his point wasn't it? They have a lopsided proportion of matches at home which means they have a big advantage statistically.
If it was, it wasn't a very good point. It's only really relevant if the player in question has vastly differing home v away performances, which most of the players he mentioned don't at all.

Unless you're talking about a Warner, Hayden, Rohit, Asian spinner etc. then it's irrelevant, and clearly not going to give them "a big advantage statistically". Again, the reason it's brought up in regard to Ashwin & Jadeja is because of their differing value in these different conditions. "Yeah, well this guy from your country did this" is never a good comeback.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
No his point was that Anderson was skipping overseas tours deliberately to protect his stats Lillee-style. You can't "skip" tours that don't happen/are shorter than your home series.
I had mentioned it in that post that I do not know "whether it is deliberate or not". What is undeniable is that Anderson benefits from playing less abroad, looking at the vast discrepancy between his home and away averages.

The other possibility is that players could be picked for a tour but not play all the matches(like Ashwin or Jadeja). For instance, Anderson was picked for India tour of 2016, but played only 3 tests. He could be dropped, rested or injured but that helps him protect his overall record isn't it ?

Burgey

Anderson does dodge playing outside England. 89 matches at home vs 61 abroad. Whether it is deliberate or not, or if it is because the clouds hesitate to travel alongside him anywhere he goes, that is a different debate altogether.
I hate Anderson, but this is Sunilz-level junk posting.

TheJediBrah

I had mentioned it in that post that I do not know "whether it is deliberate or not". What is undeniable is that Anderson benefits from playing less abroad, looking at the vast discrepancy between his home and away averages.

The other possibility is that players could be picked for a tour but not play all the matches(like Ashwin or Jadeja). For instance, Anderson was picked for India tour of 2016, but played only 3 tests. He could be dropped, rested or injured but that helps him protect his overall record isn't it ?
Sure, but how is that relevant at all? People talk about Anderson being a home bully here all the time. You're literally just going with the "this irrelevant other guy from another country does this so there" comeback, again. It's not a good one.

h_hurricane

If it was, it wasn't a very good point. It's only really relevant if the player in question has vastly differing home v away performances, which most of the players he mentioned don't at all.

Unless you're talking about a Warner, Hayden, Rohit, Asian spinner etc. then it's irrelevant, and clearly not going to give them "a big advantage statistically". Again, the reason it's brought up in regard to Ashwin & Jadeja is because of their differing value in these different conditions. "Yeah, well this guy from your country did this" is never a good comeback.
It helps their overall record, if you care to go into the details.

For instance Lillee, he played 44 at home, 26 abroad. Most of the overseas matches were played in England where he has done well. The places where he hasn't done well, Pakistan and West Indies, he has played way too less than what he has played at home against the same opposition. Not playing these countries as much abroad helps his overall average isn't it ?

TheJediBrah

It helps their overall record, if you care to go into the details.

For instance Lillee, he played 44 at home, 26 abroad. Most of the overseas matches were played in England where he has done well. The places where he hasn't done well, Pakistan and West Indies, he has played way too less than what he has played at home against the same opposition. Not playing these countries as much abroad helps his overall average isn't it ?
maybe, I don't know enough about Lillee. But, once again, it gets brought up here regarding Lillee all the time. You gotta stop doing this:
You're literally just going with the "this irrelevant other guy from another country does this so there" comeback, again. It's not a good one.
It's like you're just trying to start, and continue, nationalistic **** fights

h_hurricane

The England ones are pretty easy to explain. The team play more Tests at home. It doesn't mean they're dodging tours. Similar explanation for India's players I'd guess.

As for why people bring up Ashwin and Jadeja it's because their style as cricketers is much more dependant on helpful conditions than the others*. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out. So, no, it's not interesting at all.

The real question is why you're trying so hard to create nationalistic conflict out of nothing. It's not healthy or conducive to an enjoyable forum environment IMO.

*possibly with the exception of Anderson. But his reliance on home conditions is, if anything, discussed here more than Ashwin/Jadeja.
So you equate stating a few facts to creating nationalistic conflict. A clear example of reading between the lines here.

TheJediBrah

So you equate stating a few facts to creating nationalistic conflict. A clear example of reading between the lines here.
lol wtf you're literally grouping players based on their nationalities to create conflict and distract from the error of your line of posting. I'm also not sure you know what "reading between the lines" means. I think you meant to say "reading into things"

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course there is. His stats in similar conditions, corresponding stats of other subcontinental spinners and how they compared to their home stats etc. You could literally just look at Ashwin's stats in Aus compared to at home. That alone would be a better indicator than 2 Tests against a 2nd XI batting line-up.
No no no no no no

Excellent posting otherwise, tjb. Keep it up. The forum's integrity depends on it.

h_hurricane

lol wtf you're literally grouping players based on their nationalities to create conflict and distract from the error of your line of posting. I'm also not sure you know what "reading between the lines" means. I think you meant to say "reading into things"
If mentioning Indian players is what bothers you, here are a few examples of non indian players.

Wasim Akram : 42 home, 61 abroad
Imran Khan : 38 home, 50 abroad
Javed Miandad : 60 home, 64 abroad
Waqar Younis : 33 home, 49 abroad

If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, you are free to do so, rather than posting the highlighted part which I never meant.

I am still genuinely interested in knowing if certain unconscious bias drives many here to think with prejudice against some players, and not so much against some other players(because some of them might be our favorites). And this question is not just intented to you TJB.

Status
Not open for further replies.