• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Gareth Hopkins isn't terrible thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well there you are PEWS, it looks like it was a cricinfo mistake and not scoring mistake. I wonder how often that has ever happened haha. Watling said he’ll take it anyway (just owes Redmond a drink every time they catch up) But if you have ever seen Watling bowl you know he’d have done amazingly well to take 2/30 bowling lobed up off spin
Cricinfo does semi-routinely credit captains for keeping and keepers for captaining. Plenty of errors I've come across.

Howsie

International Captain
heh, bj watling is by far my biggest taste on this forum. it's why i love him.
It’s funny, Watling is absolutely loved on CW and rightfully so. But during his first 18-24 months on the international scene he was hated beyond what any sort of young cricketer should be who is finding his feet at that level.

Heck most people didn’t even use is name it was just Twatling :laugh:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It’s funny, I wasn’t on cw back then, but I always loved Watling and wanted him back in the test (and ODI!) team.

But I thought it should be at the expense of Williamson who should have went back and got some more first class experience, so I would have equally humiliated myself if I’d posted in this thread at the time lol.

Flem274*

123/5
you don't want to be associated with blocky on national tv

he's a slightly porky club cricketer who pretended to be a fc cricketer and for every prediction he fluked he got a whole heap wrong (guptill and taylor were still very much around in 2019) and was generally just a fat racist prat who absorbed the more toxic parts of club sport culture but without the athletic alphaness to back it up and pretended to know more than he did because he repeated B team hamilton club gossip on the open forum and made up the rest.

to give you an indication of where his cricketing skill stands, my mate thinks i'd be fine in his B side and i am a woeful cricketer, a true #12 batsman who will yell 'yours!' under the high ball with no shame before bowling filthy mediums.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Reading his comments on Guptill he thought he should continue as ODI opener but not as the test opener. Which is what happened. He was clearly wrong that Taylor's downward trajectory would continue. I think his analysis of techniques and players was generally pretty sound though. You can see that from his comments on Guptill or even on Watling earlier in this thread.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
you don't want to be associated with blocky on national tv

he's a slightly porky club cricketer who pretended to be a fc cricketer and for every prediction he fluked he got a whole heap wrong (guptill and taylor were still very much around in 2019) and was generally just a fat racist prat who absorbed the more toxic parts of club sport culture but without the athletic alphaness to back it up and pretended to know more than he did because he repeated B team hamilton club gossip on the open forum and made up the rest.

to give you an indication of where his cricketing skill stands, my mate thinks i'd be fine in his B side and i am a woeful cricketer, a true #12 batsman who will yell 'yours!' under the high ball with no shame before bowling filthy mediums.
Don't think he's porky at all if he's the club cricketer I am pretty sure he is/was.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I left the forum when he made a triumphant comeback at some stage. Was one of those people who couldn’t just disagree with you, had to pick apart every little thing you said and try to make you feel like a complete moron.

Been on other forums with those types and it’s not fun at all ... so was glad to see he got his marching orders.