• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most underrated test innings??

DingDong

State Captain
i think all knocks by english, aussie, indian and nz are overrated by nature because of the forum demographics plus the english and aussie writers dominate cricket writing and they rarely watch anything outside their countries so they are even more overrated

Dazinho

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gooch's 154 not out - the single best innings I have ever seen.

I know it's rated, but gets drowned somewhat by other knocks...

Slifer

International Captain
That is one special attack, Marshall would have started to slow down, but still quality top to bottom.

If only Bishop had managed to stay healthy, he very well may have been in contention to be among the best, if not the best ever, he was that special.
AWTA wholeheartedly !!!

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Greg Blewett's 214 vs South Africa 1997. Sachin fans talk about his 169 a few months earlier vs same bowlers, well Blewett hammered them even more gloriously. Stunning innings.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Greg Blewett's 214 vs South Africa 1997. Sachin fans talk about his 169 a few months earlier vs same bowlers, well Blewett hammered them even more gloriously. Stunning innings.
Was this innings on TV in Australia at the time? For some reason I remember being glued to the radio for all of the Blewett+Waugh partnership.

I really think that Mark Waugh's 126 at Jamaica is an underrated innings due to his brother scoring his highest Test score of 200. Mark Waugh's innings was sublime and he really took it to the bowlers, especially early on when we were in a pressure situation.

SWaugh was lucky early with Browne's famous dropped catch and then he produced a top knock but it was MWaugh who really set up the match for Australia in a match which really did feel as though it was the start of a champion country passing on the baton to a new champion.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with MWaugh's 126 being a bit hidden by SWaugh's knock.

Blewwy's 214 still not on YT I note.

/notbitter.

coolkuna

Cricket Spectator
Actually all 3 Indian centuries, made by Manjerakar, Shastri and Sidhu, in that 88-89 India - West Indies test series were very courageous. All of them took so many blows to the body. There was just no place to hide. They just remind me of what it was to bat against the Windies in the 80s.

Batting against the Windies in the 80s sort of "separated the men from the boys". The physical courage factor slowly went missing from the mid-90s onward (success against Australia and RSA were poor substitutes). Sidhu made a 116 in the last test at Jamaica. Below videos of Sidhu and other Indian batsmen in that 88-89 series give a hint what sort of courage it took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqa2Ldpkhgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slC9JKk2oXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7PgPUSDdJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWpEgS8cTPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWwAbnW97A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldclf26Qty4

With the introduction of bouncer restriction rule in the 1991-92, and Umpires/officials slowly getting more strict, combined with fading away of West Indies bowlers, focus moved from hostile fast bowling to accurate fast bowling from mid-90s onwards.

Not that, the likes of Donald, Akram or McGrath were incapable of bowling short-pitched deliveries, but even the hostility of these bowlers at their best in the 90s paled in comparison to the relentless hostility of the Windies bowlers of the 80s. Those Windies bowlers had mastered the skill of bowling short-pitched deliveries.

It is one of the reasons why I put Gooch's 154* even above Lara's 153*. Lara's might have been more flamboyant innings, but the courage factor was significantly higher in Gooch's case.

Allan Border's performance against the Windies in 83-84 when he scored 500+ runs is also under-rated. Same applies to Viv Richard's performance against Pakistan in 80-81 (to my eyes, far tougher performance than any of his exploits against England).

Satyanash89

Banned
Afridi's maiden test hundred in the famous Chennai test of 1999 was a genuinely amazing innings. Kind of gets forgotten completely because of Sachin's epic.

Others that come to mind are Steve Waugh's 60 odd against West Indies on one of the greenest greentops ever which was overshadowed by his 200 in the next match, Mahela's 180 against England at Galle recently where none of his teammates were able to hold a bat properly, and Dravid's twin fifties at Jamaica 2006

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah would have thought Optus Vision had it. I think I had Optus Vision until mid-to-late 1998 when I switched to Foxtel. Optus Vision was known as the "sports" one and Foxtel the "entertainment" one back then.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Was actually on Optus wasn't it?
Nope Foxtel. Ive uploaded many vids from the series, you can see Foxtel logo. I had both Optus and Foxtel at the time, Optus hardly showed any international cricket, only shield matches, though they did show the 96 tour to India, and highlights of the 96 world cup. Foxtel showed everything else. Was glad when Optus finally stopped showing cricket, I could save money!

Mark Waugh 116 vs South Africa 1997 2nd test 4th innings chase - YouTube

Mark Waugh 115* vs South Africa 2nd ODI 1997 - YouTube

5000th duck in test cricket, 1997 Gary Kirsten vs Jason Gillespie - YouTube

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nope Foxtel. Ive uploaded many vids from the series, you can see Foxtel logo. I had both Optus and Foxtel at the time, Optus hardly showed any international cricket, only shield matches, though they did show the 96 tour to India, and highlights of the 96 world cup. Foxtel showed everything else. Was glad when Optus finally stopped showing cricket, I could save money!

Mark Waugh 116 vs South Africa 1997 2nd test 4th innings chase - YouTube

Mark Waugh 115* vs South Africa 2nd ODI 1997 - YouTube

5000th duck in test cricket, 1997 Gary Kirsten vs Jason Gillespie - YouTube
Fair enough. Was under the same impression as Jono.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think we've all learned to never question robelinda about anything cricket coverage related ever again.