• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Flem274*

123/5
im gonna go out on a limb and say trying to kickbox with the really good kickboxer while mouthing off was probably a poor decision from costa.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
im gonna go out on a limb and say trying to kickbox with the really good kickboxer while mouthing off was probably a poor decision from costa.
costa is just not very good it takes 10 seconds of looking at the dude to see he's a hype job.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yep. Most people at MW and the higher weight divisions default to instinctually moving backward to the cage when someone like Costa is crowding them.

Eating shots if necessary to push people back, crowding people at the cage and using his size to clobber them with combos is the one zone where Costa dominates and wins pretty much all his fights.

Costa didn’t really face anyone like Israel who was quick enough to both strafe sideways around the cage and also get leg kicks in on Costa instead of what he saw from people in the past who just I) just conveniently walked back into the cage where he could eat them up or ii) keep running away from him without attacking and tire themselves out while Costa was chilling and walking towards them. The truth is that Israel might be the only one in the division to do it especially considering the size of the guy who he was evading.

It felt on face value that Costa was just standing like a duck but he was actually executing his strategy of moving opponents forward into the cage. Israel just countered this by constantly baiting Costa to move forward, kicking his leg and strafing sideways masterfully before Costa recoils from the kick and does the charge to the cage and Costa just didn’t have an answer to that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The truth is that Israel might be the only one in the division to do it especially considering the size of the guy who he was evading.
Anyone who knows how to feint properly can do the exact same thing to costa. He doesn't know how to work his way inside with a double jab or his own feints and has painfully slow footwork and is incapable of judging distance. He quite simply does not look like a fighter and I would be surprised if he had any formal training in combat sports as a youth.

Adesanya is not particularly great but he does have basic skills like distance control and feinting which is all you need against someone like that, whether they're 20kgs heavier than you or 50 it doesn't matter.

Niall

International Coach
I should know better, but very tempted to have a bet on Justin KO tomorrow at 5.1 (4/1),,,,I know he probably taps in round 3 but really rate Justin so much.

Be interesting what happens if Khabbib wins , after that weight cut which he clearly didn't enjoy ,,,very likely he will only fight once more.

Conor, Tony, GSP?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I should know better, but very tempted to have a bet on Justin KO tomorrow at 5.1 (4/1),,,,I know he probably taps in round 3 but really rate Justin so much.

Be interesting what happens if Khabbib wins , after that weight cut which he clearly didn't enjoy ,,,very likely he will only fight once more.

Conor, Tony, GSP?
justin to submit in round 3

Niall

International Coach
thank God I did not bet that, round 1 was close enough, but then the GOAT took over.

Shame that will be that, but if he can't fight GSP or Tony,,,what else is their for him?

Niall

International Coach
Out of curiosity who do we have as fav in the Edwards Khamzat fight?

Chimaev obviously got serious hype, but its an understatement to say that those who have been fed to him are not exactly on the same level of Edwards.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
The only way I see Leon Edwards winning is if he exposes that Khamzat doesn't have a gas tank and he wins the later rounds or a puncher's chance. He's also coming off a year plus layoff while Khamzat has fought 3 times in 2 and a half months.
I am all aboard on the Khamzat hype train.

Niall

International Coach
Twas a great PPV that, Holland is so much fun to watch, probably my fighter of the year.

Ferguson probably done at the highest level, 2nd fight in a row he was killed.

Main event was absolutely immense also.

Fiziev the highlight of the early fights, a few oldies last night probably fought their last fight.

cnerd123

likes this
Twas a great PPV that, Holland is so much fun to watch, probably my fighter of the year.

Ferguson probably done at the highest level, 2nd fight in a row he was killed.

Main event was absolutely immense also.

Fiziev the highlight of the early fights, a few oldies last night probably fought their last fight.
I'm fully on the Holland hype train. Hope he gets the winner of Edwards/Chimaev. Will be a banger either way.

Oliveira probably answered the questions on how Ferguson vs Khabib would look tbh. Tony has perhaps lost a bit of his athleticism, but he just got out skilled. I tend to agree with DC - take Tony of 2-3 years ago and he probably loses to Oliveria too. Was just a bad style matchup. Oliveria was too good once he got top control.

Tony may not have another title run left in him, but I can see him still fighting top lightweights and putting on some great action fights. Could be the new Cowboy Cerrone. Hopefully he doesn't end his career the way Woodley has.

I want to see how far Ciryl Gane goes.

Niall

International Coach
Hardy getting killed was :wub:

Not much else of note really, still some life in Thompson and Aldo tbf.

Didn't properly watch Khaois v Perreira which was annoying as was the obcvious stand out on paper.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah agreed. Slightly worried about Leon , supposedly covid was brutal on him , hope he is not been short sighted taking that fight.

Dustin is a gent bu he get's sparked out quickly sadly. Yeah Mc Gregor is annoying but we forget how good he is.

Hopefully if he wins he actually fights some proper MMA dudes, but fear he may do gimmick fights, Paul, Manny etc.

Also, WAC but Dana is a great heel. I'm glad he kept the show going, last few months have been miserable as I work when the cards are on it's been a nice distraction from covid.