• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Pigeon

Banned
I'm totally with warne, that was out lads, even bell knew it.
A batsman can never know he is out. That's outright stupid mate. Also H.E suggested it was comfortably clearing the top of the stumps. Even with the 5% difference, the end result couldn't have been different.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm totally with warne, that was out lads, even bell knew it.
A batsman can never know he is out. That's outright stupid mate.
Well no, not lbw, but he can certainly know he's caught behind or caught cover, or bowled, or stumped.

Either way, apparently neither of those Bell "lbw"s were out, unlike the one on Friday which was dead as they come.

Pigeon

Banned
Well no, not lbw, but he can certainly know he's caught behind or caught cover, or bowled, or stumped.

Either way, apparently neither of those Bell "lbw"s were out, unlike the one on Friday which was dead as they come.
I meant LBW mate. Yes.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I don't know, I've been given not out a few times LBW when I was pretty damn certain I was. As long as you know where it pitched, where it hit you and where your stumps are (as any self respecting batsmen should *cough* hussey) it's fairly straight forward. With experience you know with certain angles you cannot be out when it pitches in certain areas as it will be sliding down, similarly you know that when you miss certain deliveries you're as good as gone.

Mightily pissed off, had a match today, first of the last 4 that hasn't been washed out (glorious sunshine today) but I'm missing it because I have to go to bloody manchester.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Banned
I think you ought to be that brilliant a batsman to track your own body's position in relation to the stumps without looking behind, and that too on the move.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I'm not bad but awareness of where your stumps are is a pretty basic fundamental to batting, I mean how else do you leave the ball? You'd just get bowled all the time? This is why your stance is so important.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah, the full ball from Siddle that took off after pitching. There's no way in hell Koertzen gave it n/o because he thought it was going over the top, but the right decision was made so no need to complain.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand that it's weighted towards the batsman, but the reverse of what you are saying implies the same thing I was saying. It's not enough in declining an LBW decision for the umpire to think that the batsman might have edged the ball, and he certainly can't be totally sure that he didn't edge it. Benefit of the doubt simply means that if there's some deviation or a noise or some other indication that the batsman probably did edge the ball, the batsman should be given not out. If it's 50/50, for instance. It's not really based off "doubt" simply because doubt can be inspired by just about anything, even the fielding side or the reaction of the batsman. If any doubt in the umpire's mind really led to not out decisions, you'd very rarely see LBWs given.

Benefit of the doubt means that if the umpire doesn't know what happened, he gives the batsman not out. If he's pretty sure that there was no edge, but it's a possibility that there was, as there would be in many LBW appeals, it's still out.
The umpire can't "know" what happened. It's always a judgment call. And it's a question of him being sure in is own mind that the batsman was out. But even using your language of "not knowing what happened", if the umpire is merely "pretty sure" that there was no edge, and he acknowledges the possibility that the ball hit the edge, then by definition he "doesn't know what happened". Therefore, it's not out.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Swann had Ponting LBW 2 balls before he bowled him. Given not out.
No way. No way in hell an umpire can be sure that it hit him in line. Hawkeye had it 50/50 in line. Definitely the right call to give it not out, no question.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No way. No way in hell an umpire can be sure that it hit him in line. Hawkeye had it 50/50 in line. Definitely the right call to give it not out, no question.
Comes under the heading of understandable umpiring errors that were errors nonetheless.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting looked out, Hawkeye said out, but nonetheless it was a perfectly understandable decision (and obviously made zero difference anyhow)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Bell lbw looked absolutely plumb. Hawkeye showed that it bounced more than usual off a full length, but there's no way the umpire saw that. I suspect he gave it n/o because of the bat-onto-pad sound (in real time I was sure he'd hit it).