• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ind-Aus is quite likely. This SA batting is terrible
2-1 to Australia against SA is very likely which means India will need to win by 2 match margin against England.

EDIT: Basically if both Aus and Ind win 2-1 (fairly likely scenario), it will be curtains for India in WTC.

Last edited:

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Haha, could you imagine how tragicomic it would be if through some strange confluence of events, the final ended up being Australia v England, NZ thumped England 2-0 in June and then England turnaround and hammered Australia to win the WTC. I've never hate-wanted something so much.

Is NZ series vs Eng part of WTC? I don't think so.

Victor Ian

International Coach
2-1 to Australia against SA is very likely which means India will need to win by 2 match margin against England.

EDIT: Basically if both Aus and Ind win 2-1 (fairly likely scenario), it will be curtains for India in WTC.
Nah. None of that. Australia are not winning. They should win, and will start well, but wont close it out. Drawn series at best.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah. None of that. Australia are not winning. They should win, and will start well, but wont close it out. Drawn series at best.
I don't think you quite appreciate just how much of a mess SA cricket is right now. Australia really should be aiming to win the series relatively comfortably.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't think you quite appreciate just how much of a mess SA cricket is right now. Australia really should be aiming to win the series relatively comfortably.
I definitely am not aware of how bad SA are at the moment. I'm just knee jerking to expecting Australia to win the obvious win.

centurymaker

International Captain

I think you have miscalculated.

Aus currently on 332 points. If they win 2-1, they get 80 points.

Aus total: 412/600 = 0.68666

India's on 430, and a 2-1 gives India 70 points.

Ind total: 500/720 = 0.69444

So if both series end up 2-1, then India goes through, not Australia.

centurymaker

International Captain
Aus cannot afford to lose a single game in South Africa or it will be curtains for them.

They need 2-0 or 3-0.

Edit: I reckon 2-0 is doable vs the current SA Team in SA.

(Australia have won more head to head series in SA than SA themselves!)

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think you have miscalculated.

Aus currently on 332 points. If they win 2-1, they get 80 points.

Aus total: 412/600 = 0.68666

India's on 430, and a 2-1 gives India 70 points.

Ind total: 500/720 = 0.69444

So if both series end up 2-1, then India goes through, not Australia.
Hmm, looks like you are right. Twitter lies.

Flem274*

123/5
i think there's more than an 8% chance of india and aus sweeping their series tbh. i hate to support england but we need them to show some spine. obv if they make the final themselves then jfc they're the best last minute team in the world (taking the title from the recent aus odi sides) and deserve the wtc.

centurymaker

International Captain
There is probably something like 20%-30% chance of NZ missing out.

Ind winning the series 3-1, 2-0 or 3-0 is more likely than not, while Aus winning 2-0 or 3-0 is not too unlikely either given their record in SA and how mediocre South Africa are looking atm and that the wounded Aussies are expected to fight back harder than ever. (they were almost guaranteed of place in wtc final not too many days ago).

So I would not be surprised if final is between Aus and Ind and then Aus goes on to win it to avenge the series defeat at home!

Flem274*

123/5
would be a collapsathon but i think the shami outswinger would be the difference between aus and india in england