• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Making over-rate penalties part of the points even worse IMO, because it's so arbitrary. It's not like every team's over rates over the course of years is being analysed and penalisations are based on that. If you want to make something part of a point-scoring system for a tournament it needs to be consistent across the whole tournament.
Why would you average/analyse over rates across a year? The whole point is that slow over rates are used in spots/in a cynical manner depending on the match situation. It makes no sense to analyse them across a year.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I still think it’s pretty cool.

Neutral Test at Lords? **** yes.
Haha yes, the whole WTC an incredibly difficult thing to implement properly, nigh on impossible to schedule fairly, flawed and full of compromises and that was all before Covid made it even worse.

But at the end you get a 6-day test between two competitive neutral sides, with bragging rights, at Lords ??. Might just make it all worthwhile.

* not if England makes it obv, that's just called a 'home test match'.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha yes, the whole WTC an incredibly difficult thing to implement properly, nigh on impossible to schedule fairly, flawed and full of compromises and that was all before Covid made it even worse.

But at the end you get a 6-day test between two competitive neutral sides, with bragging rights, at Lords ??. Might just make it all worthwhile.

* not if England makes it obv, that's just called a 'home test match'.
Wait, 6 day?

cnerd123

likes this
the next WTC should have a rule that if England qualify for the final it should be played at Abu Dhabi instead

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I would have thought they'd have opted for Dubai as they wouldn't have had to deal with the MCC.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would you average/analyse over rates across a year? The whole point is that slow over rates are used in spots/in a cynical manner depending on the match situation. It makes no sense to analyse them across a year.
Of course you wouldn't lol that's not the point

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It needs to be played at one of the traditional grounds, and preferably where a crowd would turn up. What sort of attendance would Melbourne expect if Australia are not in it?

TheJediBrah

It needs to be played at one of the traditional grounds, and preferably where a crowd would turn up. What sort of attendance would Melbourne expect if Australia are not in it?
If India were playing a pretty big one. Pulling this number out of my ass but probably 40k+, ie. more than most other grounds could capacitate. You wouldn't want to play a game like that on the horrific Melbourne wicket though, 6 days might not be enough. (tbf last year it wasn't that bad)

Athlai

Not Terrible
If India were playing a pretty big one. Pulling this number out of my ass but probably 40k+, ie. more than most other grounds could capacitate. You wouldn't want to play a game like that on the horrific Melbourne wicket though, 6 days might not be enough. (tbf last year it wasn't that bad)
Yeah India massive crowd. England good crowd. NZ 10k+ I reckon South Africa or Pakistan would probably get close ish to that.

So anything short of Sri Lanka vs West Indies gets at least 10k

TheJediBrah

that doesn't mean what you think it does lol
You talking about the sperm thing? lol

I still though it meant what I thought it did too but I could be wrong
Yeah India massive crowd. England good crowd. NZ 10k+ I reckon South Africa or Pakistan would probably get close ish to that.

So anything short of Sri Lanka vs West Indies gets at least 10k
I went to a Sri Lanka v Aus test a few years ago, might have been around 2012 actually, and the crowd was at least 2/3rd Sri Lankan supporters. Quite a lot of Sri Lankans in Melbourne too so possibly could get 10k.

Real question though is how much Test cricket would have to turn around for the WI and SL to make the final haha