• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Super Series

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
possible test side

V Sehwag, G Smith, B Lara, S Tendulkar/J Kallis, R Dravid, A Flintoff, M Boucher, S Pollock, A Kumble, S Akhtar, M Muralitharan.

Possibly take Pollock and Kumble out for Vettori and another pacer. I think they'll play 2 spinners and i think that means they will need Flintoff in there as 3rd seamer. Don't think Harmison will play in either because i don't think he will be up for it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
why in god's name is McCullum selected over Sangakara in the test side????, thats total nonsense.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think he's going to want to go to Australia in October when he'll be going to Pakistan before Christmas and India after Christmas, he'll be wanting as much time at home with his family

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
I don't think he's going to want to go to Australia in October when he'll be going to Pakistan before Christmas and India after Christmas, he'll be wanting as much time at home with his family
Well Harmy has said he suffers form homesickness, but it will be interesting to see if he will play.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't believe McCullum made both the Test and ODI squad, yet Sangakkara only made the ODIs. Seriously, how on Earth will McCullum or Boucher keep to Murali as well as Sangakkara would? Sangakkara should be both ODI and Test, and McCullum should be only ODIs in my opinion. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to notice this move judging by the posts made earlier.

From the squads, this is my ROW XI for Tests. ODIs are much harder to choose actually so I'll probably have a longer think.

Tests
Virender Sehwag
Grame Smith/Michael Vaughan
Dravid
Brian Lara
Tendulkar/Kallis
Andrew Flintoff
Boucher
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble
Steve Harmison/Akhtar
Muralitharan

If Vaughan would open, I'd probably choose him and have him as the captain, otherwise Smith really is the best option. Tendulkar is not at his best and coming back from injury, but Kallis' record against Aus isn't too flash, so I'm undecided on that one. Plus Tendulkar and Lara batting together out in the middle would be a dream. If Harmison has a great Ashes, I'd choose him as my 2nd pacer, but if he doesn't come down, I'd go Akhtar.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sangakara in my view is a better glovesman & batsman than both Boucher & McCullum, his record againts the aussies is also better, i would love to hear the reasons for this crazy selection.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally think McCullum will do the job well.
He's very talented and he will hopefully be boosted by this selection to go on and show everyone what he's capable of.

The keeper is most likely going to be batting around 7 or 8 and I don't think Sangakarra is suited to be batting way down there.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
why in god's name is McCullum selected over Sangakara in the test side????, thats total nonsense.
Absolutely !! Agree with you 100% . :D

Apart from thinking that its to give NZ a token reserve player in both squads , cannot fathom that ! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
Sangakara in my view is a better glovesman & batsman than both Boucher & McCullum, his record againts the aussies is also better, i would love to hear the reasons for this crazy selection.
Possibly Dave Richardson in the ICC set up and as a selector may have put a word in for Boucher, pehaps ! :)

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
JASON said:
Absolutely !! Agree with you 100% . :D

Apart from thinking that its to give NZ a token reserve player in both squads , cannot fathom that ! :)
Well it would have been a joke if there was no NZ players selected

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali likely to be unavailable by October , IMO.

Tests

Sehwag
Smith/Vaughan or Tendulkar
Lara
Dravid
Kallis/Inzy or Tendulkar
Flintoff/Kallis
Boucher (wicket keeper)
Pollock
Harmison
Kumble
Murali (likely to be Vettori come October)

IMO, Shoaib will be too big a risk to select knowing that depending on his mood on the day ,whether he chooses to give his 100% or walks off after a few overs, feigning some injury, leaves a lot of uncertainty !!

In the absence of Sangakkara, Boucher is automatic choice for wicket keeping job. McCullum unfortunately does not make the mark ATM, IMO.

Also the positions still under contention are as far as I can see, 1 - the second openers slot - whether Smith/Vaughan or even Tendulkar may make the second opening slot.
2 - And No.5 slot as Freddie or Kallis will be No.6. If selectors choose Freddie for No.6, No.5 is a tussle between Kallis and Inzy and Sachin. (obviously if Sachin plays he will bat at 4 and Dravid at 5).

Sehwag, Lara, Dravid, Boucher, Pollock, Harmison, Kumble, Murali( Vettori) are certainties ATM for Test squad IMO.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI squad

Chris Gayle
Virender Sehwag
Shahid Afridi
Tendulkar (or Inzy)
Brian Lara
Kallis
Sangakkara (keeper)
Flintoff
Pollock
Harmison/Akhtar
Murali (Likely Vettori come October )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am beginning to wonder if this is a squad of best players available to play or best selection encompassing representation from every Test country !! In that case Mortaza from Bangla and Taibu should be in there !!

How they managed to ignore Taibu I can't follow.

Probably to punish Zimbos !! :-O What does that guy have to do with the official ZCU's problems ?

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
aussie said:
the only Kiwi player that should be their is Vettori.
Well considering NZ are the second best ODI team in the world to only have 2 players is wrong, Fleming should be in the ODI side for his leadership alone but other players like Marshall and Oram(in tests) have also shown they are good enough to play at that level