• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "I played for X in FC draft"

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't know how to deal with this terrible news. Rushed to pick, after lagging so far behind you guys, I googled Natal and Pietersen's miserable head popped up, so I grabbed him without realising the woe of my ways. I started feeling hard done by when I realised I had missed out on Amla, who I'd have preferred, and now I am crying having seen Barry Richards has gone begging. I think I am going to believe the theory that 4 test matches don't count for jack, irrespective of his first class career.

Can I upgrade? Do I have a legal technicality that Pietersen is English, in terms of Test cricket nation, and Natal is not in England? Does having a home in England make it Pietersen's homeland? That's a touch ambiguous. Where's the lawyers?

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Patsy Hendren (Middlesex) - although what do you mean by Middlesex country? :p

3. Ricky Ponting (Tasmania)
4. Patsy Hendren (Middlesex)
5. Mohinder Amarnath (Punjab)
10. Jack Cowie (Auckland)

watson

Banned
I don't know how to deal with this terrible news. Rushed to pick, after lagging so far behind you guys, I googled Natal and Pietersen's miserable head popped up, so I grabbed him without realising the woe of my ways. I started feeling hard done by when I realised I had missed out on Amla, who I'd have preferred, and now I am crying having seen Barry Richards has gone begging. I think I am going to believe the theory that 4 test matches don't count for jack, irrespective of his first class career.

Can I upgrade? Do I have a legal technicality that Pietersen is English, in terms of Test cricket nation, and Natal is not in England? Does having a home in England make it Pietersen's homeland? That's a touch ambiguous. Where's the lawyers?
South Africa is not Pietersen's 'Test Nation', so I don't see how he qualifies for Natal.

As I read it, 'homeland' and 'Test nation' are one of the same thing according to Red Hill, so in order to qualify for Natal Pietersen must have played a Test match for South Africa - but he didn't.

Red Hill's call though as I am second guessing the meaning of his OP.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I am easy with any call. I've got Lara and Hutton, and Pietersen is not too shabby either. Just being greedy.

I read test nation and homeland as two different things and homeland as the one of birth rather than residence, so by my own interpretation I'd tell myself to shove it. One of the times I will be very happy to be wrong :)

anil1405

International Captain
sure you don't want Lehman to secure the opening example?
Lehmann was third in my list. I mean it was a tough decision to choose between a guy who knew how to hold a willow and a guy who had an exceptional ability to distract batsmen.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I've already picked him.
Doh!

This is one of the most painful things I`ve ever done.....

Varun Aaron - Jharkhand

03 Vijay Manjrekar (Uttar Prudesh)
05 Martin Crowe (Auckland)
09 Malcolm Marshall (Barbados)
11 Varun Aaron (Jharkhand)

Last edited:

Zinzan

I'll nab big bad Bob Willis (Warwickshire) thanks, to share the new ball with Curtly. Handy attack that.

5. Sourav Ganguly - (Bengal CC)
6. Garry Sobers - (Barbados)
10. Curtly Ambrose - (Leeward Islands)
11. Bob Willis - ( Warwickshire)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Did Pietersen play for Natal in SA before he moved and qualified and made his test debut for England? If he did, then I'll allow him because his situation is quite unique.

The initial ruling was more to cover internationals who are contracted to play a number of seasons for FC team, especially English ones. Most Australians and many WIs have had a county stint, but that county team wasn't their primary FC team, if that makes sense?

Bit ambiguous but it makes sense to me.

morgieb

Did Pietersen play for Natal in SA before he moved and qualified and made his test debut for England? If he did, then I'll allow him because his situation is quite unique.

The initial ruling was more to cover internationals who are contracted to play a number of seasons for FC team, especially English ones. Most Australians and many WIs have had a county stint, but that county team wasn't their primary FC team, if that makes sense?

Yeah he did.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

Tony Greig and Allan Lamb also both played in SA before they moved to England. Conversely Gordon Greenidge's first class debut was for Hampshire.

watson

Banned
Tony Greig and Allan Lamb also both played in SA before they moved to England. Conversely Gordon Greenidge's first class debut was for Hampshire.
Now I'm confused.

Maybe......country of Test team must equal country of FC team as that will keep things simple.

But happy to go along with whatever.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Sorry to open a big can of worms. But you know.... Barry Richards and all... :)

I'll take Pietersen in the spirit of 'homeland'. There will be a few players this will be ambiguous for, but....stiff ****!

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't see the ambiguity with the Pietersen pick. He played for Natal at the time SA was his homeland. The rules don't state that the player had to already have been a Test cricketer at the time under consideration.