• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hundred could be scrapped

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I also play cricket in London, cricket increases in level the further out of the city you travel. There's just barely anywhere to play in the inner city (at least seriously). Asians love cricket but are underepresented in the professional game (in terms of participation).

Interesting factoid, in my london based cricket club, i was the only white player who grew up in a city, aside from the Asians everyone else was from some village or whatever who moved to London for work.
N
I also play cricket in London, cricket increases in level the further out of the city you travel. There's just barely anywhere to play in the inner city (at least seriously). Asians love cricket but are underepresented in the professional game (in terms of participation).

Interesting factoid, in my london based cricket club, i was the only white player who grew up in a city, aside from the Asians everyone else was from some village or whatever who moved to London for work.
maybe not so much played in Islington, Camden and Westminster, where there are not enough playing fields, but plenty in other boroughs. Sure, the greener suburbs make it easier to play but even Hackney has plenty of clubs green spaces, once the football season finishes. That is quite an issue though, clubs don’t have their grounds for long enough.

Ali TT

International Debutant
It's a self fulfilling prophecy though, isn't it? Perception that cricket is more for the country, centre of gravity for cricket in each county moves into the countryside, county hierarchy gets filled with shire types, shire types have no interest/knowledge of cricket in the city (and it's a bit of a crap drive into town, let's be honest), interest in the city dwindles, grounds get sold off and so on.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Behind a paywall but heading has potential to really be divisive, what next: Hundred: Counties could use local football team’s name as vote looms

No. Just no.

This must not happen. I hear the sound of the bottom of a barrell being scraped.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Names I am not too bothered about. Let’s face it, the nicknames that some counties use are pretty silly already. Can’t read the article however if it is the proposal touted before that the T20 entity for each county be a separate entity with different players (and possibly ownership) it would replicate the main problem of the Hundred - new teams ansd mixed-up players.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Counties are considering the possibility of playing short-form cricket under the names of their local football and rugby clubs as they prepare to vote on the future of the Hundred.
As revealed by The Times, the controversial 100-ball tournament could be entirely scrapped and replaced with a county-based competition, played in a football league-style pyramid, as ECB officials grapple with the long-term future of the Hundred and the increasing pressure on budgets.
The ECB will present county chiefs with a number of options for the direction of the men’s competition next month, which include: keeping the Hundred as it is with the eight existing teams; increasing it to a ten-team tournament to include a team based around Taunton/Bristol and a team based in Durham; or getting rid of the eight existing teams and replacing them with county-based teams in a larger competition to be played in a league system, with promotion and relegation.

The proposals will also include ideas about garnering private investment into either the existing Hundred by selling equity in the teams, or a new model whereby the 18 first-class counties — or all 39 first-class and National (formerly minor) counties — can bring in their own private investment.
There have already been discussions between some counties and their local football or rugby club that could lead to counties playing under different names in an attempt to harness other local sports fans. For example, Sussex could play as Brighton & Hove Albion or Durham as Newcastle United.
One area up for discussion will be whether it is sensible to continue having two short-form competitions: the T20 Blast and the Hundred. Some counties have noticed a negative knock-on impact on their Blast ticket sales because it has been squeezed into a shorter time period, meaning more games being played on the traditionally difficult to sell evenings of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
English cricket is facing financial pressures and these will be substantially increased when the ECB announces an equality and diversity action plan next week in response to the recommendations made by the Independent Commission for Equity in Cricket this year.
The action plan will contain a number of areas of work to improve equality in the sport but they come with a price tag of more than £5 million a year, which, combined with the costs of giving women cricketers the same level of match fees as the men and the pressure to increase the value of central contracts to combat the threat from franchise leagues, means the ECB is under significant financial pressure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cheers Chris

Naming cricket sides after their local footy team is a sure way to piss people off. I refused to support Manchester Originals despite being ostensibly Lancs (and hey I’ve got a 2024 membership so it’s not just token anymore) so imagine asking me to support Man United/City. Get ****ed

On the other hand Cheshire could take the name of the historic county’s best club. I mean by current standings I guess it’s Crewe or Stockport but form is temporary etc etc

Seriously though. Awful idea. I’m all for shaking things up but this makes no sense.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Thanks for the full article.
Put into context can finally make sense of the 39 teams.
18 first class counties, 20 national counties and Huntingtonshire who the ECB are pushing to be accepted as a NC.
Cumbria could just enter as Sedbergh School probably the most successful sporting institution in the county and with a ground and facilities to die for.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Cheers Chris

Naming cricket sides after their local footy team is a sure way to piss people off. I refused to support Manchester Originals despite being ostensibly Lancs (and hey I’ve got a 2024 membership so it’s not just token anymore) so imagine asking me to support Man United/City. Get ****ed

On the other hand Cheshire could take the name of the historic county’s best club. I mean by current standings I guess it’s Crewe or Stockport but form is temporary etc etc

Seriously though. Awful idea. I’m all for shaking things up but this makes no sense.
it's terrible idea. I like the idea of getting all 39 First/National team involved but naming them after Football teams is just too much. Never mix 2 sports it just doesn't really work

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would please none and anger all I'd expect. Football is far too tribal for Cricket, they'd be better off staying well clear.
You’d just alienate swathes if your fanbase. I mean even in Sussex where I think Brighton are the only team in the top four tiers (happy to be corrected) there will be folk who support other clubs. Can’t express enough how little the people making these suggestions must know about their own fans and of course football

Molehill

International Captain
You’d just alienate swathes if your fanbase. I mean even in Sussex where I think Brighton are the only team in the top four tiers (happy to be corrected) there will be folk who support other clubs. Can’t express enough how little the people making these suggestions must know about their own fans and of course football
Sussex and Portsmouth fan here, no way I'd go near a 'Brighton' Team!!

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Crawley Town are in Sussex if you fancy an away day there this season

But @Molehill has proven your point immediately.