• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hundred could be scrapped

Molehill

International Captain
Well we all thought The Hundred was daft, but this is even more absurd. The Hundred continues to do roughly what it was designed for, I doubt it has too much to worry about from this proposal.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Hard to know without being able to read the article but is this a genuine proposal or is this a case of wishful thinking by a journo who despises the Hundred and has latched onto a rumour?

Would be typical of English cricket if at the point the Hundred got established after all the disruption it caused they scrapped it.
I wonder how many people subscribe to The Cricketer? Strange that no-one else has picked it up somewhere.

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
I used to read it in the 90s however I thought that it went downhill after it merged with Wisden magazine (although they have since de-merged).

Molehill

International Captain
I only really became aware of it when George Dobell went to write for them. I see him link to various articles but have never read any of them.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I had loads of Wisden magazines but a few years ago they got skipped as there was no longer any room for them.

In the Internet age there doesn't seem much point getting magazines anymore.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
If this story is true i'm putting it down as the idea of consultants with zero cricket knowledge or experience. I dont want to believe people running the ECB are that ignorant about their own sport.

English Cricket is a country game. It will never capture an urban audience as primary fans.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
If this story is true i'm putting it down as the idea of consultants with zero cricket knowledge or experience. I dont want to believe people running the ECB are that ignorant about their own sport.

English Cricket is a country game. It will never capture an urban audience as primary fans.
I am not sure that I agree with you. There is plenty of support in the blast for the county sides in the big cities, although they may not necessarily identify as belonging to a county. From my own point of view, where I come from originally is part of the old county of Essex, however I would associate myself with the Essex team I would firmly say that I'm a Londoner. I also live just the other side of the old border, the River Lea. To say I was from Middlesex would be laughable though.

I don't know how Manchester folk see their modern day relationship with Lancashire. Then again, certain Mancunians would say that Old Trafford isn't in Manchester..............

Ali TT

International Debutant

Guessing we should bring back Gentlemen v Players too

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
I am not sure that I agree with you. There is plenty of support in the blast for the county sides in the big cities, although they may not necessarily identify as belonging to a county. From my own point of view, where I come from originally is part of the old county of Essex, however I would associate myself with the Essex team I would firmly say that I'm a Londoner. I also live just the other side of the old border, the River Lea. To say I was from Middlesex would be laughable though.

I don't know how Manchester folk see their modern day relationship with Lancashire. Then again, certain Mancunians would say that Old Trafford isn't in Manchester..............
The trend this year has been for the geographical prefixes of the hundred team names to increasingly be dropped, so not really associating them with anywhere.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain

Missing the point mate. The infrastructure for playing cricket is in the countryside hence people play it more there and not in the city. Its all about having the facilities. Where are the players for these 40 odd teams going to come from?

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
The trend this year has been for the geographical prefixes of the hundred team names to increasingly be dropped, so not really associating them with anywhere.
Well yeah, this is just part of a wider cancerous trend of capitalism destroying culture in the name of greed.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Missing the point mate. The infrastructure for playing cricket is in the countryside hence people play it more there and not in the city. Its all about having the facilities. Where are the players for these 40 odd teams going to come from?
There is plenty of cricket played in London during the summer. I know because I play it. The participation is hugely south Asian though. Much higher obviously than in the shires but the idea there isn’t a lot of cricket here in London is just plain wrong.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is plenty of cricket played in London during the summer. I know because I play it. The participation is hugely south Asian though. Much higher obviously than in the shires but the idea there isn’t a lot of cricket here in London is just plain wrong.
I also play cricket in London, cricket increases in level the further out of the city you travel. There's just barely anywhere to play in the inner city (at least seriously). Asians love cricket but are underepresented in the professional game (in terms of participation).

Interesting factoid, in my london based cricket club, i was the only white player who grew up in a city, aside from the Asians everyone else was from some village or whatever who moved to London for work.

Last edited: