• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hundred could be scrapped

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I'm sure it's just a coincidence but it's strange how this news has come out so soon after IPL announce the possibility of full time contracts.

The Hundred was cricket's biggest white elephant which had nothing going for it.

I like the idea of a T20 format with promotion and relegation.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Encouraging signs however the stumbling block might be the extended Sky deal which Harrison signed just before his departure.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol a T20 format with promotion and relegation would be an insane response to everything that is happening.

I can't say the reasons outlined in the article strike me as good reasons to change tbh. No-one else is doing it? who cares if it's working? And to say it's not working because no-one else is doing it would be silly

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Well I would like to see the Blast expanded to two divisions with promotion and relegation.

Also have a knockout cup with 32 teams including 14 minor counties with the finals day (semis and final) in September. Maybe allow finals day to be televised by both Sky and BBC.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Just have the sides play the T20 format and have it run along side (Not showcased) Test/CC etc. Australia do well with Test side and Big Bash running alongside each other and England could follow suit

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That article makes it sound like they actually believed other countries would see it and go, "Hey, I think we're going to need to change our T20 competitions and make them 16.4 overs too!"

Bewildering.

I do think they were on the right track with the eight franchises, though.

Molehill

International Captain
The Hundred is a funny one because it has undoubtedly attracted people who don't normally go to cricket to attend matches. However, at the same time it's managed to completely alienate the regulars. I suspect in the long run that the newbies will probably get bored.

I do think they were on the right track with the eight franchises, though.
For me this was one of its main issues. No one gave a monkeys about each of the franchises, people didn't really support teams. It was more just a fun day out with the kids watching some decent cricket. But to have August totally dominated by this when there's an Ashes this summer is farcical.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe there are examples from sports I don’t follow that prove me wrong, but franchise models just don’t fit British sporting culture for me. I’ve only ever been half hearted in ‘supporting’ Lancashire because I’m from the wrong side of the Mersey to be from historic Lancashire. I certainly am not getting behind ‘Manchester Originals’. When I watched the games I ostensibly rooted for the Superchargers purely because they had Stokes which I guess is the point in franchise model, but it meant nothing.

It might be to the detriment of the overall quality but it is what it is, a small amount of teams are never going to get enough organic support to make it a roaring success

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe there are examples from sports I don’t follow that prove me wrong, but franchise models just don’t fit British sporting culture for me. I’ve only ever been half hearted in ‘supporting’ Lancashire because I’m from the wrong side of the Mersey to be from historic Lancashire. I certainly am not getting behind ‘Manchester Originals’. When I watched the games I ostensibly rooted for the Superchargers purely because they had Stokes which I guess is the point in franchise model, but it meant nothing.

It might be to the detriment of the overall quality but it is what it is, a small amount of teams are never going to get enough organic support to make it a roaring success
I guess the easy counter to this is the likes of Uppercut and dcye are from nowhere near Manchester but are both wholehearted passionate supporters of the Manchester football teams. So maybe I’m just transplanting my own (football based) biases onto it.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
The Hundred is a funny one because it has undoubtedly attracted people who don't normally go to cricket to attend matches. However, at the same time it's managed to completely alienate the regulars. I suspect in the long run that the newbies will probably get bored.

For me this was one of its main issues. No one gave a monkeys about each of the franchises, people didn't really support teams. It was more just a fun day out with the kids watching some decent cricket. But to have August totally dominated by this when there's an Ashes this summer is farcical.
I think its problem is the primacy it immediately assumed over and above all other cricket. Having some cricket on free to air tv and family-friendly matches to watch during the school summer holidays is great. I went with my family and it was a good time. I think it was drawing decent sized crowds and it put women's cricket in the spotlight. These are all positive things.

But it doesn't need to have all the money in the domestic game poured into it, conscript the biggest stars and put a complete halt to all other professional cricket in the country in order to have essentially a low-stakes, fun extra competition targeted at families.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
I think its problem is the primacy it immediately assumed over and above all other cricket. Having some cricket on free to air tv and family-friendly matches to watch during the school summer holidays is great. I went with my family and it was a good time. I think it was drawing decent sized crowds and it put women's cricket in the spotlight. These are all positive things.

But it doesn't need to have all the money in the domestic game poured into it, conscript the biggest stars and put a complete halt to all other professional cricket in the country in order to have essentially a low-stakes, fun extra competition targeted at families.
This is the problem. For instance the way that Strauss was going to save England cricket by changing everything but the Hundred had to remain untouched. The way it was promoted: It's not for cricket fans, or anyone who criticises it, it for all those other people the focus groups have found. It was deliberately marketed to replace not compliment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It won't be scrapped entirely IMO - they'll just rename it and turn it into a T20 competition. Which means all the most annoying things about it will remain.

I'm terms of squad strength it's actually one of the best "T20" competitions in the world.