• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest ODI Innings of All Time

ma1978

International 12th Man
Got to be the Kapil 175 given the 17/5, World Cup knockout match etc.

In terms of one’s I’ve actually seen, The Ponting 2003 and Gilchris( 1999, Saeed Anwars 194, Tendulkar Desert Storm and Gibbs at Wanderers

Chrish

International Debutant
There is no footage of Kapil’s 175 (that I am aware of). So, it’s hard to judge the inning in terms of quality of batsmanship. Its importance however is undebatable.

Chrish

International Debutant
Speaking as a fan, I never felt more goosebumps than watching Sachin’s 98 in World Cup. When he hit two boundaries and a six in Shoib’s over, it felt like it wasn’t real and I was floating on a cloud..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was that the quarter final (edit - or whatever they called the KO stage in that one) in 2003? Great knock.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah that game was the only saving grace from the tournament.

India already had enough points to go into next round iirc. So, series wasn’t on line. But due to it being india vs Pak, there was a significant hype, and game definitely lived up to it. Lot of emotion from fans from both side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Everyone remembers the upper cut 6 but there was another shot off Wasim, I think, when he clipped a short of length ball on his thighs and just bisected, almost to geomatric accuracy, the deep square leg and the fine leg boundary riders. That was just pure genius and something that differentiated him from the Sehwags of the world IMO.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good choice, when you factor in that T20 brand of cricket was unknown at that time.
Technically T20 cricket had been around for a few years, mostly in England. There had already been a few T20 internationals too (though only one-off games as part of proper tours).

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I think Fakhar Zaman's hundred in the 2017 Champions Trophy Final deserves a mention , nobody ****ing knew this guy outside of Pakistan when the tournament started ..He debuted in the tournament itself ! ..

Yes he got let off the hook with Bumrah's no ball early in the innings but still to outshine so many big names in a final , an India v Pakistan match no less was insane .

Kirkut

International Regular
Sachin's 117 in CB series final is definitely not the greatest and maybe not even his best, but it was a special knock to me.

Especially when you think of the build up to the finals, tensions between Indian and Australian cricket teams, also that Aussie side brought their A+ game even without Mcgrath/Warne.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Let's stop with this JAMODI thing.

JAMODI is a post 2015 phenomena, where too much cricket is played throughout the year. Before T20 era, ODIs were never JAMODIs...
Agree that it doesn't apply to all ODI history but I'd pick an earlier date for the pivot point, probably in the mid-00s

subshakerz

International Coach
Speaking as a fan, I never felt more goosebumps than watching Sachin’s 98 in World Cup. When he hit two boundaries and a six in Shoib’s over, it felt like it wasn’t real and I was floating on a cloud..
Yeah I rate that knock highly since it wasn't an easy total to chase and he was facing a strong attack.

subshakerz

International Coach
Everyone remembers the upper cut 6 but there was another shot off Wasim, I think, when he clipped a short of length ball on his thighs and just bisected, almost to geomatric accuracy, the deep square leg and the fine leg boundary riders. That was just pure genius and something that differentiated him from the Sehwags of the world IMO.
How I wish Abdul Razzaq was standing a bit further and took the catch off Wasim. India would definitely not have won that game then.