• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Indian Middle Order Crisis Thread

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't understand how Pujara and Rahane have literally become half they players they were

They wouldn't even make the English side atm
At least with the other Indian bats dropping off a cliff it happened when they were old. This is happening when they had just past 30. For batsmen to decline that quickly that young is extremely rare.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It’s so ridiculous that they are so quick to drop someone like Ishant but keep picking these batsmen. I know dropping Kohli seems to be heresy but I’d drop all three until they showed some form again in Ranji trophy.

Flem274*

123/5
It’s so ridiculous that they are so quick to drop someone like Ishant but keep picking these batsmen. I know dropping Kohli seems to be heresy but I’d drop all three until they showed some form again in Ranji trophy.
They'd probably dominate Ranji. That Duleep Trophy thing is the premium comp isn't it?

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

Flem274*

123/5
Yes it is, and I saw this Duleep Trophy game live, felt like I saw everything that cricket has to offer in a span of 5 days. Balanced pitch that got difficult by each day, quality spin, swing, pace, exceptional batting, and an impossible chase.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...zone-vs-west-zone-final-427326/full-scorecard
my immediate thought is this scorecard shows how much better India are these days lol. Based on what I've seen of India A, the current Duleep sides would smash those two.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
my immediate thought is this scorecard shows how much better India are these days lol. Based on what I've seen of India A, the current Duleep sides would smash those two.
Nope, 9 guys have represented India from those two teams, plus some of the remaining guys were very bright prospects.

Also, IPL came in 2008, and this game was played in 2010 with quite a few players who had established themselves way before the IPL came. The players involved were more focussed on FC cricket. Not that the current lot is bad, but the IPL carrot has shifted the focus more on domestic white ball games compared to FC games. I think it's essential for the current crop of youngsters to have proper A tours with good coaching to improve their technique(and it's happening to a degree from what I see).

Aritro

International Regular

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Alfred Absolem sounds like the grandfather figure India's younger players need IMO
Hehe. Fun fact, Alfred Absolem had taken a 7-fer in ICL(IPL rival). Also, it was as good as any IPL bowling performance since 5 of them had played international cricket:

Damien Martyn
Wavell Hinds
Murray Goodwin
Heath Streak
Reetinder Singh Sodhi

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since 2020, with a 500 run qualifier, these are the 6 worst batsmen in the world by average. Holder is an all rounder so doesnt even count.Literally every one of England's atrocious batsmen has a better record. Literally worse than Rory Burns but class is permanent, am I right guys?

1642223979326.png

When will the pain end?

Niall

International Coach
Vihari seems to excite nobody but he deserves a proper run now.

Ideally v Sri Lanka

Rahul/Rohit/Vihari/Kohli/Iyer/Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin/Axar/Siraj/Shami Bumrah

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Since 2020, with a 500 run qualifier, these are the 6 worst batsmen in the world by average. Holder is an all rounder so doesnt even count.Literally every one of England's atrocious batsmen has a better record. Literally worse than Rory Burns but class is permanent, am I right guys?

View attachment 30450

When will the pain end?
I mean we have also played in probably the most consistently tougher pitches to bat on but yes that is grim. The worst part is that the slump for Rahane has been since 2016 and for Pujara, has been 2018. Now that Virat has also joined that group, we have had no way out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Vihari seems to excite nobody but he deserves a proper run now.

Ideally v Sri Lanka

Rahul/Rohit/Vihari/Kohli/Iyer/Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin/Axar/Siraj/Shami Bumrah
Jaddu is not gonna be fit, I assume. I expect to see -

Rohit
Rahul
Vihari
Virat (c)
Shreyas
Pant
Sundar
Ashwin
Axar
Shardul
Ishant

Umesh and Shami are definitely the matchwinners at home but I dont want to see Bumrah and Shardul being rested to play the IPL. Umesh has shown his improvement we saw in 2021 was still something that could regress with his performance at Cape Town. Siraj and Shami need to be rested as they seem more fragile. Bumrah seems like he needs to play more games to get better. Shardul is in excellent form and should be given more opportunities.

One think I would like to see is them figuring out who is gonna play that England test as that is gonna be the critical one for our WTC chances now. And ensure they hit the ground running there. We need to see if we can get Ishant back near his best as he brings a point of difference to our bowling attack. Bumrah/Ishant/Shardul and one of Shami/Siraj/Umesh is our ideal 4 man attack. Of that 3, I would always start with Siraj.

Niall

International Coach
Thakur much value in Asia though?

Is their any other quick that India could take a punt on and see what they can offer? No disrespect but Sri Lanka at home is an ideal opportunity to take a few risks,,,if he is crap not like it will change the outcome of the series!
Another concern for India, Rohit is 35 soon, lets hope he can keep his form up for another 18 months or so.