• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The globalization of cricket

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Welcome to Cricket Web jashan.

Wee tip - it's not necessary to bump 3 or 4 different old threads by posting the same thing - once is enough.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Hi Moderator not to be rude, but I posted at 2 3 posts coz the post is relevant at all thread. Correct me if I am wrong. I want to the message to spread around using this excellent forum which gives me a place to express it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hey Matt yes present system of 10 test teams is good enuf. But there is one saying that only "one thing is permanent and that is Change". If this things continues then it may stale out. The present goodies maybe lost out. If tomorrow India fizzles out and sponsors loose interest. 10 is too few a number to be assumed as a safe base.

The solution, widen your base, make the game more widespread and more competitive. The present system makes a ceiling for the associate teams. The team have reportedly performed well and then fizzled out. This is true for Kenya, then Ireland and Afghanistan and in future for many teams. We need to create excitement and make things competitive. Non performers like Bangladesh or Zimbabwe should not be complacent of their Test status. They should be under a constant review. Good performers in the Associate world should be rewarded. The biggest shortcoming is the exposure. This system allows them to be competitive in their sphere and be rewarded for their good performance.
Is it particularly likely that the game will fizzle and lose its market in any of the major countries? I'm not criticising you for making suggestions, but my response to what your specific suggestions is that it seems like you may be being too dismissive on the difficulties involved in what you're proposing, too disinterested in the benefits of continuing to pursue the current course, and too focused finding a dramatic solution to a problem that is very unlikely to come about.

Sometimes you're better accepting a level, and for cricket it is that it is a popular, international sport followed by a significant fraction of the world's population, and focusing on improving what you have, than chasing growth on the principle that bigger will always be better. Cricket will never be soccer no matter what we do, and it really doesn't need to be.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hi Moderator not to be rude, but I posted at 2 3 posts coz the post is relevant at all thread. Correct me if I am wrong. I want to the message to spread around using this excellent forum which gives me a place to express it. Sorry for any inconvenience.
I appreciate your enthusiasm but at the same time we don't allow spamming of threads.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Is it particularly likely that the game will fizzle and lose its market in any of the major countries? I'm not criticising you for making suggestions, but my response to what your specific suggestions is that it seems like you may be being too dismissive on the difficulties involved in what you're proposing, too disinterested in the benefits of continuing to pursue the current course, and too focused finding a dramatic solution to a problem that is very unlikely to come about.

Sometimes you're better accepting a level, and for cricket it is that it is a popular, international sport followed by a significant fraction of the world's population, and focusing on improving what you have, than chasing growth on the principle that bigger will always be better. Cricket will never be soccer no matter what we do, and it really doesn't need to be.
Hi Matt I definitely agree with your point that there is a limit to everything and cricket is really popular in some parts of the world but I am also not criticizing you 8-) I believe cricket has not reached it's pinnacle. Reason for this are
1. Cricket since its inception has expanded it base based on innovation. First test cricket the base expanded from 3 4 Nations to 7 8 nations. Then ODI brought another thrust and now we have around 11 12 teams. Another exciting thing has happened. 20 20 has suddenly come into being and using this innovation we can explode.
Sorry for using companies example but all great companies have exploded using such innovations. Even football if you see became more popular using innovation like bringing in the world cup. League though very old continuously innovated themselves and football exploded. They basically expanded the base at every moment.
True Cricket can never be as popular as Football, but that does not mean it should not aim to atleast match it. Hockey which was at great popularity did not expand its base did not innovate and look where it is not only in India but worldwide

2. The amount of money that is present in Cricket is at its higher ever. True ICC gets little share at it but even if u look at ICC they are also at it's highest ever. The countries where cricket is popular are spending enough to keep it popular. So what should ICC do, it should spend it to globalize the game and diversify. It will also help it to break the clout of India if say it succeeds in USA or China or Gulf.

3. The present format is being seriously challenged and undermined by local league specially IPL. Look at the present world cup of 20 20. I can surely say IPL was more popular than World Cup:-O. ICC needs to bring some excitement. If present system of Cartel continues it will become boring and will be dominated by such local league's. The Tier system and relegation will definitely bring some excitement by the fear of Relegation or Motivation of Up gradation. Thing Kiwi's are having one bad year and Zimbabweans are having a good one. There will be excitement. If Kiwi's are relegated for next two years they will have to play good to come back. This would again bring excitement and a show of good cricket will give exposure to other teams who will play a team of upper slab. Win win for all.

4. Exposure to the smaller teams will be there. It will plug the biggest demand and gap for smaller teams.

And the list goes on and on. Hence I hope the present system is altered. What we are sitting on may be good today but not always :)

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Lets take football as the "global game".

In Canada, USA, Japan, Australia and NZ football is not the most popular sport and only in Japan is it the number 2 sport. Just between those countries you have over 1/3 of the worlds GDP.

Then of course theres India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka where football is not the most popular sport.

Outside of Western Europe football is not anywhere near as popular in first world countries. Its taken the massive amounts of money, time and effort to grow football as much as it has. And it hasnt been easy.

Cricket will never become popular in North America or mainland Europe.

China is the most important future market for cricket. Nothing else matters.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lets take football as the "global game".

In Canada, USA, Japan, Australia and NZ football is not the most popular sport and only in Japan is it the number 2 sport. Just between those countries you have over 1/3 of the worlds GDP.

Then of course theres India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka where football is not the most popular sport.

Outside of Western Europe football is not anywhere near as popular in first world countries. Its taken the massive amounts of money, time and effort to grow football as much as it has. And it hasnt been easy.

Cricket will never become popular in North America or mainland Europe.

China is the most important future market for cricket. Nothing else matters.
It's most popular in Australia in terms of number of players, and I'm willing to bet it's the same in pretty much all those other countries.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
True Cricket can never be as popular as Football, but that does not mean it should not aim to atleast match it. Hockey which was at great popularity did not expand its base did not innovate and look where it is not only in India but worldwide
Hockey has never a popular spectator sport. At the grass roots level hockey is still popular.

2. The amount of money that is present in Cricket is at its higher ever. True ICC gets little share at it but even if u look at ICC they are also at it's highest ever. The countries where cricket is popular are spending enough to keep it popular. So what should ICC do, it should spend it to globalize the game and diversify. It will also help it to break the clout of India if say it succeeds in USA or China or Gulf.
Cricket will NEVER EVER become successful in the USA.

3. The present format is being seriously challenged and undermined by local league specially IPL. Look at the present world cup of 20 20. I can surely say IPL was more popular than World Cup:-O. ICC needs to bring some excitement. If present system of Cartel continues it will become boring and will be dominated by such local league's. The Tier system and relegation will definitely bring some excitement by the fear of Relegation or Motivation of Up gradation. Thing Kiwi's are having one bad year and Zimbabweans are having a good one. There will be excitement. If Kiwi's are relegated for next two years they will have to play good to come back. This would again bring excitement and a show of good cricket will give exposure to other teams who will play a team of upper slab. Win win for all.
Ugh, that is so flawed and wrong I can only shake my head. Cricket will die in countries when they are relegated. If Australia was relegated from the top tier then thats is, cricket is gone as a major sport here. Rugby in the last 3 years has been bleeding horribly due to bad performances by the Wallabies. And their performances havent been that bad. WE're still ranked number 3.

And whats so exciting about the IPL thats no exciting about the Twenty20 W orld Cup? No Cheer leaders? Should the commentators say "DLF maximum"? Should Bollywood stars be in the West Indies clapping and cheering teams mindlessly?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh, that is so flawed and wrong I can only shake my head. Cricket will die in countries when they are relegated. If Australia was relegated from the top tier then thats is, cricket is gone as a major sport here. Rugby in the last 3 years has been bleeding horribly due to bad performances by the Wallabies. And their performances havent been that bad. WE're still ranked number 3.
Rugby Union has fallen off the tracks since the world cup in 2003.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
It's most popular in Australia in terms of number of players, and I'm willing to bet it's the same in pretty much all those other countries.
Only at very young levels. Once you get into teenage years soccer participation drops off dramatically.

Parents are happy to let their son play soccer at 7 years old but not full contact sports like rugby, rugby league and Aussie Rules. I know there was no way in hell my mother was going to let me play rugby league until I was 12. So I played soccer until then. I didnt play my first game of rugby until shortly before my 15 birthday. Also, now that I've gone past the age of 30 I wouldnt play a full contact sport but I would join a local football team.

Crowds for A-League matches are well behind even the NRL and of course the AFL. Granted the A-League is not a top class league. But a real football fan, rather than your average fat world of warcraft fan who has never played a game of football and follows Man Utd, or Barca because of Messi and sneers at the A-League, would support a local team and their favourite European team.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Rugby Union has fallen off the tracks since the world cup in 2003.
It had a slight decline of course. But the ratings for last years tri-nations was well down from previous years and there had been a steady decline.

Of course if the Wallabies start winning again things would improve. But its going to take quite a few years of hard work to get rugby but to the levels of 2000-2005.

Cricket went through a slump in the 80's. I remember for a test match in Brisbane there were only 16,000 people turn up over the 5 days.Once Australia started winning of course things improved.

If you want to cut support for cricket in countries like New Zealand, South Africa and Australia then bring in a relegation/promotion system.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It had a slight decline of course. But the ratings for last years tri-nations was well down from previous years and there had been a steady decline.

Of course if the Wallabies start winning again things would improve. But its going to take quite a few years of hard work to get rugby but to the levels of 2000-2005.

Cricket went through a slump in the 80's. I remember for a test match in Brisbane there were only 16,000 people turn up over the 5 days.Once Australia started winning of course things improved.

If you want to cut support for cricket in countries like New Zealand, South Africa and Australia then bring in a relegation/promotion system.
Rugby Union has suffered more than a slight decline IMO. Numbers are really down in terms of crowd attendance

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Rugby Union has suffered more than a slight decline IMO. Numbers are really down in terms of crowd attendance
Main drop is in TV ratings. Of course the reason for the massive drop off in ratings(much bigger than crowds) last year for the Tri-Nations was the inept performances of the Wallabies. If the Wallabies start winning again but things improve. But they would have to first regain lost ground.

If the Australian cricket team had a bad couple of years (like the mid 80's) and there was a relegation/promotion system and Australia was relegated then it would only make things twice as difficult. At least in rugby Australia is a part of the tri-nations regardless of last years performance.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Main drop is in TV ratings. Of course the reason for the massive drop off in ratings(much bigger than crowds) last year for the Tri-Nations was the inept performances of the Wallabies. If the Wallabies start winning again but things improve. But they would have to first regain lost ground.

If the Australian cricket team had a bad couple of years (like the mid 80's) and there was a relegation/promotion system and Australia was relegated then it would only make things twice as difficult. At least in rugby Australia is a part of the tri-nations regardless of last years performance.
Would help if an Australian team did well in the super 14 too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
TV ratings are a load of **** when it comes to sport.

How do they work out how many people are watching the match at the pub? They don't..

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
TV ratings are a load of **** when it comes to sport.

How do they work out how many people are watching the match at the pub? They don't..
Yeah I know. I'm not sure about you guys, but when the cricket is on I don't generally sit at home and watch it by myself. I got to the pub and pretend to make friends while watching. Same with Rugby. But there has been a definite decline in union in the past 7 years. Pretty evident in the dwindling home crowds for the tahs

Matt79

Global Moderator
Rise of the Socceroos in the public's conscience as 'the national football team' has been both a cause and effect of the decline of the Wallabies.